Old Aug 23, 21, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/flight-information/flight-operators/british-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3

Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Old Aug 22, 22, 12:37 am

You can register for alerts on Avanti website when Advance tickets are released
If it's a Friday back Saturday/Sunday the normal off peak is only Ł90 or so anyway
Old Sep 1, 22, 11:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA CCR, BA LTG, BA GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
The space that was the 1903 lounge in T3 has been taken on by Escape. Lounge card, priority pass / dragon pass etc are being sent there. I don’t know if there is any difference, I didn’t go in.

Today’s made up security rule, depending on which security person was managing your unloading, was that all power cables of any type must be taken out of a power cable bag and individually laid out on a tray. Likely a misinterpretation that power cables need to be removed from the main carry on bag (fine), but that in MAN world must of course mean that individual power cables must be removed from a power cable bag and laid out.

Also the fast track queue manager at the fast track / normal merger node, was sending fast track people down the mobility restricted / babies queue, which of course delayed things significantly as those people, quite rightly, needed more time and lots of trays to unload babies, strollers, baby kit, milk, mobility aids, liquids, etc.

There were 3 fast track security checkers, who struggled to understand that FAST TRACK on a phone pass granted access. They got there, eventually, after a group huddle.
Old Sep 2, 22, 3:25 am

Group Huddle

Originally Posted by rjn21 View Post
The space that was the 1903 lounge in T3 has been taken on by Escape. Lounge card, priority pass / dragon pass etc are being sent there. I don’t know if there is any difference, I didn’t go in.

Today’s made up security rule, depending on which security person was managing your unloading, was that all power cables of any type must be taken out of a power cable bag and individually laid out on a tray. Likely a misinterpretation that power cables need to be removed from the main carry on bag (fine), but that in MAN world must of course mean that individual power cables must be removed from a power cable bag and laid out.

Also the fast track queue manager at the fast track / normal merger node, was sending fast track people down the mobility restricted / babies queue, which of course delayed things significantly as those people, quite rightly, needed more time and lots of trays to unload babies, strollers, baby kit, milk, mobility aids, liquids, etc.

There were 3 fast track security checkers, who struggled to understand that FAST TRACK on a phone pass granted access. They got there, eventually, after a group huddle.
Wythenshawe mafia at their best
Old Sep 4, 22, 12:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Has anyone explored the “new” Escape Lounge yet? I was about to head towards the lounge this morning but was advised that there was no hot food in the old 1903 Lounge and I headed back to the regular lounge. Are Escape operating a two-tier service?

Going to be chaotic boarding at Gate 143 for the 7am flight, no barriers or signs for Group number/boarding or indication of where to queue 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Sep 4, 22, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, SV, TK

you can't win, can you?

i take all possible precations to avoid decondary searches st manchester. Those precautions include removing cables and placing them in a separate tray.

THAT recently attracted a mild telling off as being unnecessary, and holding up the queue.
LancashireFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 4, 22, 2:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA CCR, BA LTG, BA GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
you can't win, can you?

THAT recently attracted a mild telling off as being unnecessary, and holding up the queue.
I’ve been chastised for using too many trays (3) to ensure no overlapping items which may look odd on the scan. Told to combine it all back into 1 tray, which triggered a long wait for secondary. I wasn’t amused.
Old Sep 4, 22, 2:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ademanuele View Post
. Are Escape operating a two-tier service?
What very little I know about this is that the former 1903 lounge is now essentially a Priority Pass / Dragonpass lounge, since these cardholders were finding it almost impossible to get into Manchester's lounges. The airline allocation and agreements took away all the lounge capacity. I imagine Collinson, the owners of PP, intervened at some point, given that they probably have a lot of card holders in the MAN vicinity. I doubt 2 tier was exactly the plan, but equally I can see that would be the outcome.
Old Sep 4, 22, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL (Gallium Guest List), QRPC Molybdenum, Skywards Zirconium
I’ve been chastised for using too many trays (3) to ensure no overlapping items which may look odd on the scan. Told to combine it all back into 1 tray, which triggered a long wait for secondary. I wasn’t amused.
I haven’t been through MAN for 12 months as I generally avoid at all costs these days, but I swear the security staff there must have a contest of “let’s see what the most ridiculous thing we can ask passengers to do is”. There is very much a vibe that security staff want to be able to tell EVERY passenger to do at least something, presumably to justify there being so many of them for the tiny belts that fit like 10 trays max…
Old Sep 4, 22, 2:30 pm

I avoid departing MAN if at all possible, the security procedures are literally the worst of any airport I have travelled through in my years and while I don't keep an exact count as a BA LTG and a DL 2 Million Miler I've been through a few :-) They have just replaced the CEO at MAG but its been terrible for years, so doubt anything will change. Ultimately its not hard to manage the security and screening process, there's plenty of airports that do it well so they can learn from them pretty easily.

I guess when there is essentially very few convenient alternatives for passengers most will put up with the poor experience and when there is no incentive or real accountability for the airport to improve they will continue to deliver a poor experience.
Old Sep 5, 22, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
I haven’t been through MAN for 12 months as I generally avoid at all costs these days, but I swear the security staff there must have a contest of “let’s see what the most ridiculous thing we can ask passengers to do is”. There is very much a vibe that security staff want to be able to tell EVERY passenger to do at least something, presumably to justify there being so many of them for the tiny belts that fit like 10 trays max…
I've done 4 flights out of MAN this year and I have to say, the general vibe of the security staff is much improved. Certainly in T1 and T2 (I haven't flown out of T3) the staff are much more friendly than they used to be.

What they are suffering from still is the number of things being flagged for secondary. My bag was pulled the other week and the poor lady on security rolled her eyes when it was for a random bag swipe - she had plenty of other bags to check where people had left liquids in etc.

T
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by toothy; Sep 6, 22 at 2:44 pm
Old Sep 5, 22, 4:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, Bamboo First, AF Elite+, AV Diamond, A3 G
Originally Posted by toothy View Post
I've done 4 flights out of MAN this year and I have to say, the general vibe of the security staff is much improved. Certainly in T1 and T2 (I haven't flown out of T3) the staff are much more friendly than they used to be.

What they are suffering from still is the number of things being flagged for secondary. My bag was pulled the other week and the poor lady on security rolled her eyes when it was for a random bag swipe - she had plenty of other bags to check where people had left liquids in etc.

Paul
Manchester and pleasant security don't in my experience go in one sentence but it's good to hear it might be improving
toothy likes this.
Old Sep 5, 22, 4:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Well it couldn't get any worse!

Wasn't too bad this morning at 0530. About a dozen people in front at fast track so took about 5-10 mins in total to go through. No secondaries thankfully.

Last edited by KARFA; Sep 5, 22 at 4:42 am
Old Sep 5, 22, 4:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, Bamboo First, AF Elite+, AV Diamond, A3 G
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Well it couldn't get any worse!

Wasn't too bad this morning at 0530. About a dozen people in front at fast track so took about 50 mins in total to go through. No secondaries thankfully.
50min for 12 people, sounds like a very slow ice-cream parlour or very fast hairdresser...
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 5, 22, 4:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
sorry, that was a typo. should have written 5-10. now corrected.
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 22, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Have to admit when BA cancelled our MAN/LHR flights for our family hols up to Legoland in BLL we decided just to drive down to LHR.

Now I'll accept we had a good run in both directions, circa 3.5 ours each way with 1 stop from Lancashire, but it actually felt way less hassle and stresful than going through MAN then doing a terminal transfer at LHR.....definately something we'd repeat.

The problem is the place is just so hit and miss.
Silver Fox likes this.

Search this Thread