Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
JFK Terminal 8 move- Has there been any change to the plan to move some BA flights over from Nov 16/17 and complete the move by Dec 1 ?
Old Sep 11, 2022, 2:38 pm

First post for me here, so go gentle LOL

I've been silver for years and my clock has just been reset, so I am desperate to reach gold this year and did not realise all the tricks that there are until hearing about this site, so thank you all for a very informative afternoon read.
A few questions if I could please?

How do you get 320 TP from flying LHR to SOF. Should be 160, so how do you double it when only flying in and out or staying a couple of days. Do you pay to hire a car for 5 days?
What is the trick here?

Do you get TP for Avios or reward flights? On a call to BA earlier I am told not, but I clearly have this last year from my travels as I hardly paid for any flights apart from taxes only and got 930 TP's. I have 5 long haul flights already booked going forward, so am hoping I will get some there, but they are all reward and Avios again!

TIA for any help/tips.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Foofighter69
Looking for a 740TPs (excluding 2x planned work WTP trips) to make GGL. Still contemplating options but I cannot find anything under £5/TP once I take into consideration that I don’t have much time (8th Oct TP reset) and I don’t have much in terms of time off to slots to travel into.

Currently looking to slot in a JFK-HNL via LAX/SFO over a weekend while in NY for work (all in F netting 700TP). £3.8k!

Or book BUD-JFK-LAX-HNL on one J ticket to net 920TP and thereby combine my work travel with personal travel. £4k and I need to find a way to pay for it while work chips in £2K for what would have been a WTP LHR-JFK ticket.

Still pretty steep and doubting whether I should push for GGL..

Do people have any ideas? I could probably swing 3-5 days off.

Have to be in NY for work w/c 19th Sep and w/c 3rd Oct.

Im not sure if this is still around but Alaska had a relatively cheap but horrible fare from the NY area- possibly EWR to FAI via SEA and ANC. It’s also worth checking the Flagship transcon routes for cheap first class fares. Just last week I found a return in flagship first for £1500 LAX-JFK and back.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by 1rosco1
First post for me here, so go gentle LOL

I've been silver for years and my clock has just been reset, so I am desperate to reach gold this year and did not realise all the tricks that there are until hearing about this site, so thank you all for a very informative afternoon read.
A few questions if I could please?

How do you get 320 TP from flying LHR to SOF. Should be 160, so how do you double it when only flying in and out or staying a couple of days. Do you pay to hire a car for 5 days?
What is the trick here?

Do you get TP for Avios or reward flights? On a call to BA earlier I am told not, but I clearly have this last year from my travels as I hardly paid for any flights apart from taxes only and got 930 TP's. I have 5 long haul flights already booked going forward, so am hoping I will get some there, but they are all reward and Avios again!

TIA for any help/tips.
LHR-SOF is 80TP each way so 160TP return. The fares in TP-run territory are 2+ nights stay so it's booked as LHR-SOF with a SOF-LHR return nested. The 320TP would be for two B2B return trips. Eg. Ticket 1 LHR-SOF 1st Jan, SOF-LHR 8th Jan, Ticket 2 SOF-LHR 1st Jan, LHR-SOF 8th Jan.

With that said, the Double TP Holidays promo requires 5 nights car rental / hotel so you could do book that together with 1 return flight to net 320TP.

No avios or TP is awarded for reward redemptions. If you access the booking through MMB (Manage my booking), it will show 0.
On rare occasions, the system can err in your favour but I certainly wouldn't count on it.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I messed up my little holiday TP run. Booked it for when I'm working as I got the months confused! (return when I'm off, outbound on my second day in out of 6 days)

Looked at same day flights, and €279 in CE from SOF-LHR, and €67 in economy from LHR-SOF = €346. Price comes up as €381 for some reason (knocks €17 off that price if I select economy plus)
That said, redemptions available I don't want to pay £250-£350 for 100TP.

Need 335TP to hit GGL, so 320TP if the holiday booking works out, redemption back to LHR, and £61 in economy LHR-SOF for 10TP gets me 330TP. 5 short

Last edited by xenole; Sep 12, 2022 at 2:35 am
Old Sep 12, 2022, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by xenole
I messed up my little holiday TP run. Booked it for when I'm working as I got the months confused! (return when I'm off, outbound on my second day in out of 6 days)

Looked at same day flights, and €279 in CE from SOF-LHR, and €67 in economy from LHR-SOF = €346. Price comes up as €381 for some reason (knocks €17 off that price if I select economy plus)
That said, redemptions available I don't want to pay £250-£350 for 100TP.

Need 335TP to hit GGL, so 320TP if the holiday booking works out, redemption back to LHR, and £61 in economy LHR-SOF for 10TP gets me 330TP. 5 short
For that extra 5 points, just do a cheapo domestic flight - you could get the train one way or the other if that worked out cheaper (and if you work remotely you could work on the train too so take less time off if a mid-week flight is more cost effective).

Or, see if you can get the LHR-SOF in a higher booking class and get 20TP? The price may negate that
Old Sep 12, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by PIKnic
JFK Terminal 8 move- Has there been any change to the plan to move some BA flights over from Nov 16/17 and complete the move by Dec 1 ?
No change to those dates has been announced, so assume all on schedule!

Pilot37
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:05 am

Thank you, due to come back about 5/6 Dec so it will be good to check it out.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by fluffymitten
For that extra 5 points, just do a cheapo domestic flight - you could get the train one way or the other if that worked out cheaper (and if you work remotely you could work on the train too so take less time off if a mid-week flight is more cost effective).

Or, see if you can get the LHR-SOF in a higher booking class and get 20TP? The price may negate that
Nothing too cheap domestically until Nov.
(Well, looked at the 3rd Nov and MAN-LHR is £89 in CE, and then £61 in economy the following day. Go to the payment page and it's now £484! Few pricing bugs.....more realistically pricing at £105 for economy for 15TP, 5 + 10, but would expect the ex-MAN flight to be cancelled knowing BA)

The LHR-SOF flight books into O class unfortunately, and no business available that day.

Last edited by xenole; Sep 12, 2022 at 7:28 am
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
A bit of a TP run, but not a BA B2B and cant find a B2B directory in the AY forum, but - anyone had look at, or had a go at, a B2B LHR-HEL-DXB with AY?

Looks like a B2B should be possible at DXB.

Edit: Answering my own question, or answered over on the AY forum to be exact, it is apparently fairly straightforward.

Last edited by vintagepilot; Sep 12, 2022 at 10:28 am
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
Nothing too cheap domestically until Nov.
(Well, looked at the 3rd Nov and MAN-LHR is £89 in CE, and then £61 in economy the following day. Go to the payment page and it's now £484! Few pricing bugs.....more realistically pricing at £105 for economy for 15TP, 5 + 10, but would expect the ex-MAN flight to be cancelled knowing BA)

The LHR-SOF flight books into O class unfortunately, and no business available that day.
Seeing one-way CE RTN Economy Basic

London (Heathrow) To Manchester (Manchester)

1 hours 5 minutes18:25 LHR Wed 2 Nov Terminal 5 19:30 MAN Wed 2 Nov Terminal 3
Business2 x 32kg checked bags includedOperated By: British Airways

FLIGHT DETAILS. SELECT THIS OPTION FOR DETAILED FLIGHT DETAILS OR PROCEED FOR SUMMARY

Manchester (Manchester) To London (Heathrow)

1 hours 0 minutes 19:30 MAN Thu 3 Nov Terminal 3 20:30 LHR

£125.55

LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:15 am

It's MAN-LHR I'm looking at. It was £89 for CE, and now it's changed to £393.

Tempted just to fly LHR-HEL at 7:30am for something like £290 and 80TP, 4hrs layover at HEL, down to VIE as a redemption, have a couple of nights there, and then catch a €14.99 Ryanair flight from VIE-SOF that gives me around 4hrs before the BA flight to LHR.

I'm reluctant to book anything ex-MAN in case they cancel. Can finish work for 5ish and catch the 7:30pm flight to LHR, but that's a favourite to cancel isn't it?
Might end up driving to LHR, or flying MAN-HEL.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:56 am
Lux

Originally Posted by BA707
LHR-SOF is 80TP each way so 160TP return. The fares in TP-run territory are 2+ nights stay so it's booked as LHR-SOF with a SOF-LHR return nested. The 320TP would be for two B2B return trips. Eg. Ticket 1 LHR-SOF 1st Jan, SOF-LHR 8th Jan, Ticket 2 SOF-LHR 1st Jan, LHR-SOF 8th Jan.

With that said, the Double TP Holidays promo requires 5 nights car rental / hotel so you could do book that together with 1 return flight to net 320TP.

No avios or TP is awarded for reward redemptions. If you access the booking through MMB (Manage my booking), it will show 0.
On rare occasions, the system can err in your favour but I certainly wouldn't count on it.
This is helpful, but just to clarify a bit further about nesting etc. you could do a couple of different things. Consider different bookings as Ticket A (in business (J), Ticket B (also in J), Ticket C (in economy (Y) or a low cost carrier or an Avios redemption)

Option 1

Monday - Ticket A - LHR > SOF - in J - 80 TPs
Monday - Ticket A ; SOF > LHR - in J - 80 TPs

Tuesday - Ticket B - LHR > SOF - in J - 80 TPs
Tuesday - Ticket B ; SOF > LHR - in J - 80 TPs

Total - 320TPs. Cost (if you can find all of the fares aligned, which I couldn't), a minimum of £400.

Option 2

Monday - Ticket A - LHR > SOF - in J - 80 TPs - booked through BA holidays with a car for a minimum of 5 days*
Monday - 'collect' the car in SOF
The 'nesting' bit

Monday - Ticket C - SOF > an airport of your choice

At least six days later (because you booked a car for five days):

Sunday - Ticket C ; an airport of your choice > SOF

Sunday - Ticket A - SOF > LHR - in J - 80 - TPs

A total of 160 TPs, which is then doubled at some point by BA Holidays to make a grand total of 320 TPs

* £140 for five days at the moment

What you can't do is get the BA holidays deal twice by using the middle return ticket from Sofia as a double points earner, so you can't use that as your 'nested' flight, although there's nothing stopping you doing a BA J class flight from there for another 160 TPs.

What you choose to do is up to you. Option 2 is likely to be better value overall. If you're feeling wealthier, option 1 works better (if you can find the cheap fares). I've made it work for a total of about £450 which, for 1.5 years of lounge access as my travel ramps up again, works for me.

I wanted to explain this as I've been on FT on and off for, I think, 21 years now and we all had to start somewhere!

PS I know LHR > SOF is not seven days a week, before you take me too literally.
Wessex Man likes this.

Last edited by Lux; Sep 12, 2022 at 11:10 am
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:28 am

Well, I've just booked some nested flights after getting the wrong month for days I'm not working. Not as cheap as I would have liked it to have been, but I used some Avios to offset the cost a bit.
Worst bit is not getting in my favourite row 1 seat of 1F! 1C and 1D on two flights was the best I could do; row 4 and row 8 (might go back to the exit rows of row 11? according to the seat map) on my other two flights, so obviously popular November days
TPRun likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by BA707

Thank you. That explains it! Never heard of nested flights before either, but yes that all makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.