Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

BA announces Avios partnership with Nectar

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2023, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC
I haven’t tried every day but I’ve done a few (maybe 6!) and got nada!
Old Jan 11, 2024, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
There's some "spin to win" thing hidden amongst the promo offers.
I won nothing, yet my mother got 1000 points.

If anyone did want to try the Thistle hotel at LHR, there are 12x Nectar points on that hotel brand (or 6x on IHG, although possibly 6x Avios through the BA e-store).
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:30 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Nectar to Avios working?

The BA website gives a warning message the transfers from Avios to Nectar is not currently available.
But I can't get the website to flip over to even initiate a transfer from Nectar to Avios.
Is it working for anybody at the moment?
Old Jan 20, 2024, 6:11 am

Redemption Rights flag

Apparently every Nectar card holder with a balance of over 20,000 points had their "Redemption Rights flag" turned off in December - to reduce the risk of fraud during the holiday season!

To get the flag turned back on - you have to call Nectar.
And to pass security you have to supply your "memorable word" ... good luck remembering that if you've had a nectar account for many years!

Nectar say that it takes 24 hours for the change to take effect.

It's a shame Nectar didn't inform customers what they were doing, and what they needed to do in order to switch it back on again.

Last edited by fartoomanyusers; Jan 20, 2024 at 6:26 am Reason: added 24 hour wait info
Old Jan 20, 2024, 6:27 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
Apparently every Nectar card holder with a balance of over 20,000 points had their "Redemption Rights flag" turned off in December - to reduce the risk of fraud during the holiday season!

And to pass security you have to supply your "memorable word" ... good luck remembering that if you've had a nectar account for many years!

It's a shame Nectar didn't inform customers what they were doing, and what they needed to do in order to switch it back on again.
Very much appreciated advice.
another thing that got me on your post is that 20000 is a LOT of points to have on a loyalty scheme.
as can be seen from the airlines, these points can effectively be devalued at any time - and that is regardless of the possibility of the provider doing bankrupt.
it is obviously a low risk with Sainsburys but airlines are in a boom and bust industry.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by tedmak
Very much appreciated advice.
another thing that got me on your post is that 20000 is a LOT of points to have on a loyalty scheme.
as can be seen from the airlines, these points can effectively be devalued at any time - and that is regardless of the possibility of the provider doing bankrupt.
it is obviously a low risk with Sainsburys but airlines are in a boom and bust industry.

not sure that within the realms of FT, 20,000 loyalty points are that many… I earn on an average month over 15,000 Avios and some months much more, and the last two/three redemptions I have made were in the region of 120-180k Avios, so unless you accumulated that much, how are you going to make a redemption?
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 5:30 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
That’s a really poor lack of communication from Nectar. So if I don’t remember my “memorable word” am I now forced to only use the points for money off in Sainsbury?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by LondonAussie
That’s a really poor lack of communication from Nectar. So if I don’t remember my “memorable word” am I now forced to only use the points for money off in Sainsbury?
I couldn't remember my memorable word ... but the Nectar support staff reset it by asking some details about when and how I originally signed up to Nectar.
Worth checking your old emails to find out when you received your "welcome to nectar" email !
Old Jan 21, 2024, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by xenole
There's some "spin to win" thing hidden amongst the promo offers.
I won nothing, yet my mother got 1000 points.
Thank you for the heads-up! It was on the front page of nectar.com for me, and I won 200 points.

Looking at the Ts and Cs, there's a much bigger pool than usual for this sort of thing - definitely worth a go if you haven't already.

bonus Nectar points prizes including: 18,825 of 200 or 5,000 of 500 or 4,000 of 1,000 bonus Nectar points
Old Jan 21, 2024, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC, Skywards, KLM

I had no problem moving some Nectar to BA the other day, and all worked OK without any need to call up.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci

All rather silly IMO given that Nectar points can be spent in store with just the barcode number.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:01 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by stifle
All rather silly IMO given that Nectar points can be spent in store with just the barcode number.
I thought this flag stopped sainsburys redemptions as well, as reported on other forums. (I am aware you need buy something in the same store 24 hours? before redemptions become possible anyway.)
Old Feb 5, 2024, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
My Mrs linked her nectar card to her avios account last week & the next day 25,200 avios disappeared from my household account under the heading 'avios exchange'

She didn't request a transfer in either direction.

The points haven't appeared in her nectar balance.

Is there a dedicated email for nectar issues or do I contact BAEC?

Last edited by Lioneye; Feb 5, 2024 at 5:33 pm
Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Lioneye
My Mrs linked her nectar card to her avios account last week & the next day 25,200 avios disappeared from my household account under the heading 'avios exchange'

She didn't request a transfer in either direction.

The points haven't appeared in her nectar balance.

Is there a dedicated email for nectar issues or do I contact BAEC?
Check if the auto conversion was set up by accident on the conversion page (scroll down and you should see that section) - 25200 Avios is the max amount Avios to Nectar auto conversion can take per quarter.
Any points out from Avios to Nectar will take around 10 days to appear on Nectar side.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 4:15 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by marcolau317
Check if the auto conversion was set up by accident on the conversion page (scroll down and you should see that section) - 25200 Avios is the max amount Avios to Nectar auto conversion can take per quarter.
Any points out from Avios to Nectar will take around 10 days to appear on Nectar side.
Thank you that sounds about right!

I will ask for the transaction to be reversed but may have to swallow a loss because of the lopsided conversion rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.