FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

BA announces Avios partnership with Nectar

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
My £60 shop on Friday earned me just 60 base points - but also 1310 bonus points on stuff I regularly buy anyway. So that’s about 800 Avios.
As Raffles states upthread, new customers are thinking that Sainsbury's are not really trying for them. My £106 shop on Saturday netted me 60 bonus points (6 x 10) and the 106 base points. The opening offer of 500 bonus Avios and double points until April is as good as unachievable for me. I am at the dizzy heights of 908 points with 2 shops to go. Most disappointing is that I am waiting for:

From the Sainsbury's Master Card
  • Double points on £400 of shops
  • 3,000 points for 4 shops (750 each) of more then £35
  • 10,000 points for spending £400
From eBay
  • 350 points for linking my account
  • £370 of eBay points from spend
  • 1,000 for a spend of more than £20
From Viking
  • 1,250 points for a £30 spend (The spend points appeared the next day, but not the bonus points)
That is over 16,000 points / 10,000 Avios that I have earned, but have not posted. The earning rate appears in line with Tesco today given their lack of bonus offers so I will persevere with Sainsbury's just to see if the mysterious computer Credit card points will post with the statement I presume, but the Viking and eBay points take up to 28 days with no way to verify or chase until they have or have not posted. Is technology really that poor that they cannot do any better?

Did Sainsbury's expect new customers to obtain 1600 points in 3 weeks or have they gone into bed with Avios to look after their existing customers?
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
From eBay
  • 350 points for linking my account
  • £370 of eBay points from spend
  • 1,000 for a spend of more than £20s

My Nectar points from eBay purchases always post the next working day! The bonuses take a bit longer though.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Akoz
Usually I get 5 or 10 on this, but recently have had a dusting of 20s and 40s.
40 Points today.
First time I'd used the SmartShop in the local Local. Bit odd compared with normal self scans.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by seattle29

My Nectar points from eBay purchases always post the next working day! The bonuses take a bit longer though.
My initial spend of £40 posted next day. Two subsequent spends of £310 and £60 have not posted 10 days later.
Cannot chase them until 28 days have elapsed. Reminds me BA eStore.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Some categories of Ebay spend don't generate Nectar points. Specifically anything that may end up being pseudo cash, like gift vouchers, but there are other exceptions.
    Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
    Some categories of Ebay spend don't generate Nectar points. Specifically anything that may end up being pseudo cash, like gift vouchers, but there are other exceptions.
    True. But according to eBay, if it shows a banner "Collect xx Nectar points..." on the product page, then that item qualifies.
    My eBay account shows the points were awarded, but only the first purchase appeared and that was within 24 hours.
    Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Gold, Accor LeClub - Platinum, Hilton Hhonors - Diamond
    Has anyone been able to transfer points across from Avios to Nectar? Each time I try to go in and link the accounts from BA's side, I get a 404 or Bad Gateway error?

I have been able to connect the accounts from the Sainsbury's side and transferred nectar into avios for the initial bonus, but I would like to transfer some amex mr points to nectar via BA to get the 0.8p value and haven't been able to yet?
    Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
    40 Points today.
    First time I'd used the SmartShop in the local Local. Bit odd compared with normal self scans.
    Top tip with the smart shop and locals. Now you have used it don't use it again until they email you. After about six to eight weeks you will get an offer telling you that smart shop misses you with 500 points for a £10 spend. I've had it three times now since September
    BlueThroughCrimp and bisonrav like this.
    Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by HeyUpDuck
    I can't figure this Nectar - Avios partnership. I need to spend £400 to get 250 Avios? Wasn't it £250 spend at Tesco for 600 Avios? Surely this is a much worse deal and not worth the switch to Sainsbury's?
    This morning I spent £21 and received 270 Nectar points, or 170 Avios. The equivalent spend at Tesco would have netted me 50 Avios. YMMV of course, but it’s working exceptionally well for me.
    Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
    The last larger shop I did at Sainsbury’s was £64 for 64 base points which should be doubled when the bonus points post. I also got 1920 bonus points from app offers on things I’d buy anyway.
    It’s good Sainsbury’s reward existing shoppers, saves the need for always switching and registering for this and that.
    The app offers unlikely to last at these levels, but been good to me the last few months.
    Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
    Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
    Did Sainsbury's expect new customers to obtain 1600 points in 3 weeks or have they gone into bed with Avios to look after their existing customers?
    I think it is BA who is awarding the 500 bonus Avios for doing the transfer of 1600 Nectar points and not Sainsbury's. It seems to have been an expectation that existing Nectar card holders with at least 1600 Nectar points would immediately benefit and anyone else would have just under 3 weeks to try to collect that number. This is relatively easy to achieve if you have been a regular shopper at Sainsbury's as GumshoeW12 points out in the reply above. Admittedly it is not so easy if you are new to Nectar but you are more than halfway there.

In the meantime you appear to have done quite well to have garnered 10,000 Avios in three weeks. How long would it have taken you to get a similar figure out of the Tesco / BA partnership?

In my own case I have shopped at Sainsbury's for years and in just the last two weeks on spend of £257 (a combination of 1 top up and 2 main shops in Sainsbury's and one fill up of petrol at the attached fuel station) I have got 1,367 points which is the equivalent of 854 Avios. That same spend at Tesco would have given me just 600 Avios. I will also get at least an additional 152 Nectar points on the x2 spend bonus (am ignoring fuel getting x2)
    Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
    Originally Posted by NXflyer
    Has anyone been able to transfer points across from Avios to Nectar? Each time I try to go in and link the accounts from BA's side, I get a 404 or Bad Gateway error?

I have been able to connect the accounts from the Sainsbury's side and transferred nectar into avios for the initial bonus, but I would like to transfer some amex mr points to nectar via BA to get the 0.8p value and haven't been able to yet?

I think you've been lucky not to have been able to complete the transfer as I think to get the 500 Avios you have to transfer 1600 Nectar points to BA but not do anything that looks like you've reversed the transaction in the promotional period.

As for the actual transfer where are you getting the 404 Bad Gateway error? BA website or Nectar? Also why are you trying to link them again? Your BAEC and Nectar accounts should already be linked. You can only have one BAEC account linked to Nectar at any one time. You can link and unlink up to 4 times a year. It is easy to do the transfer via the Nectar app. You click on Convert Points. It takes you to another screen where if you scroll down to Manual Conversion and it gives you the two Nectar and Avios fields where you enter the number you wish to convert. The default is Nectar to Avios but if you click on the arrows it changes direction to send Avios to Nectar.
    Old Feb 8, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
    Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
    My goodness, all this discussion about the merits of Sainsbury's and Tesco.

Doesn't everyone here shop at Waitrose?
    Well there's one 50 yards from the front door of the building so I do... Maybe I could get a Sainsbury delivery once in a while for heavier stuff but I don't think it'll be worth it.
    Old Feb 8, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
    Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
    My goodness, all this discussion about the merits of Sainsbury's and Tesco.

Doesn't everyone here shop at Waitrose?
    Waitrose do not have the national footprint that some people might believe. To a degree it is a bit like BA's route map, very South East biased (OK they are in the North too but only in the posh bits).

My nearest is probably a 50 minute drive away on a good day. Within 15 minutes I have 4 large Sainsbury's, 3 large Tescos. 2 Asdas and god knows how many Lidl and Aldi outlets. As a provincial type I must say that after years of seeing BAEC enhance things away, I am rather happy about the new Nectar relationship.
    BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
    Old Feb 9, 2021, 5:41 am
    Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
    Originally Posted by tigertanaka
    Waitrose do not have the national footprint that some people might believe. To a degree it is a bit like BA's route map, very South East biased (OK they are in the North too but only in the posh bits).

My nearest is probably a 50 minute drive away on a good day. Within 15 minutes I have 4 large Sainsbury's, 3 large Tescos. 2 Asdas and god knows how many Lidl and Aldi outlets. As a provincial type I must say that after years of seeing BAEC enhance things away, I am rather happy about the new Nectar relationship.
    I think your irony detector is faulty ;-)
    Globaliser and Traveller 935 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.