Search
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

BA announces Avios partnership with Nectar

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 2:38 pm

First month in and for similar monthly spend I've earned more Avios than I did from Tesco over three months, average 7.3 Avios per pound spent. This includes special offers for shopping, but not 500 bonus Avios for conversion, juicy points nor double Nectar points I get from Sanisnbury's until April.
Offers on Nectar app seem to be a gold mine lol, though they are sometimes strange. For example if something I regularly buy is out of stock and I buy something similar there's always extra points offer for that substitute product next week. Usually I buy large milk (4 pints), but offers always come for 2 pints. Or having bought litre of olive oil or 5kg of washing powder I get a extra points offer to buy again next week, I guess I should open a chippy and a laundromat
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by flyslow
Offers on Nectar app seem to be a gold mine lol, though they are sometimes strange. For example if something I regularly buy is out of stock and I buy something similar there's always extra points offer for that substitute product next week. Usually I buy large milk (4 pints), but offers always come for 2 pints. Or having bought litre of olive oil or 5kg of washing powder I get a extra points offer to buy again next week, I guess I should open a chippy and a laundromat
I’ve found I’ve managed to teach them how often I buy certain things... they’ve spaced out offers for butter, for example, from what they were originally. And the two product sizes/types actually helps as it means they come round more often, e.g. 2 pints milk one week, 4 the next, meaning I get something every week for it. And they alternate apple and orange juices with surprising regularity. I can’t be the only geeky person trying to second-guess their algorithms
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Is this Nectar relationship facilitating an easy way to move Avios between BA accounts. The only other way was to temporarily create a BA household account...as far as I know and it was a major pain to do so.

Now you can ask someone to move Avios into Nectar and then link your BA account onto their account to suck up the Avios...then unlink and link back to your own Nectar card...

Or is there something I don't know...??
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Nectar keep encouraging me to setup auto-convert, which would happen in multiples of 400 points each Monday. What are the thoughts on this being a sensible move considering the possibility of conversion bonuses in the future?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Chris_G
Is this Nectar relationship facilitating an easy way to move Avios between BA accounts. The only other way was to temporarily create a BA household account...as far as I know and it was a major pain to do so.

Now you can ask someone to move Avios into Nectar and then link your BA account onto their account to suck up the Avios...then unlink and link back to your own Nectar card...

Or is there something I don't know...??
Yes that is possible but be careful as you can only link and unlink BA and Nectar accounts 4 times in one year. Plus there is a restriction of a maximum transfer of 50k Avios a month to Nectar for manual conversions. Plus currently the ability to transfer Avios to Nectar online has been disabled - you have to phone Nectar. Not sure how long the transfer takes, nor whether they will reinstate online transfers. I believe this is because of trying to improve security to avoid fraud. Transferring Nectar to Avios is still possible online as that requires 2FA.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Nectar keep encouraging me to setup auto-convert, which would happen in multiples of 400 points each Monday. What are the thoughts on this being a sensible move considering the possibility of conversion bonuses in the future?
I have no idea whether there will be conversion bonuses in the future. Personally I think it's best to leave the points in Nectar until you need the Avios as you have the ability to spend the Nectar points in Sainsbury's or Argos so they are quasi cash whereas once converted to Avios your ability to spend is currenly somewhat limited. The only major benefit to setting up autoconvert is if you want to transfer more than 80,000 Nectar points (50,000 Avios) per month (the monthly limit for the manual conversion) as it appears that the autoconvert quarterly limit of 40,000 Nectar points or 25,000 Avios is in addition.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by HeyUpDuck
I can't figure this Nectar - Avios partnership. I need to spend £400 to get 250 Avios? Wasn't it £250 spend at Tesco for 600 Avios?
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
Yes, if you only take base points into account.

But, as noted throughout this thread, regular Sainsbury’s shoppers get showered with weekly, targeted bonus point offers through the Nectar app which are where the real opportunities lie.
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
As Raffles states upthread, new customers are thinking that Sainsbury's are not really trying for them.
I can now see that there was pretty much no point in signing up for a Nectar card after all. I shouldn't have bothered. I can see the logic of only rewarding people who are going to become regular big shoppers at Sainsbury's, but as there's no foreseeable chance of me falling into that category there's no incentive to divert some of the occasional incidental spend to Sainsbury's if I can pick up these bits and pieces at Tesco for a guaranteed 1% cashback.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
There’s an article in today’s Times newspaper about the Nectar /Avios partnership being targetted by fraudsters.

The article says that Rob Burgess of HFP alerted The Times to the scam but I can’t find any mention of it on the HFP website. Basically there don’t appear to be enough security checks when a Nectar account is linked to a BAEC account and people have found their Avios being transferred out into newly linked Nectar accounts which aren't theirs.
It seems pretty extraordinary that Nectar and BA would launch this without seemingly putting in place sufficient security measures to thwart attempts to game and defraud.

I mean, it's not like there are any websites around that are heaving with people who know all the tricks and tips, who I'm sure would have readily volunteered as consultants in return for a few Avios ....
T8191 and WickedStepMother like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
It seems pretty extraordinary that Nectar and BA would launch this without seemingly putting in place sufficient security measures to thwart attempts to game and defraud.

I mean, it's not like there are any websites around that are heaving with people who know all the tricks and tips, who I'm sure would have readily volunteered as consultants in return for a few Avios ....
There are some checks and balances - eg I was able to deposit avios from derelict family members into my nectar. as i discovered you can link max 4 avios accoutns to any 1 nectar in 365 days rolling.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
2FA was partially working last night when I did a transfer. When I say 'partially', I mean that the box for the 2FA code popped up and then the site inexplicably redirected to the Nectar home page. I started the transfer again, triggered a 2nd 2FA code, entered the FIRST 2FA instead as that one had arrived, and it was accepted :-)
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I can now see that there was pretty much no point in signing up for a Nectar card after all. I shouldn't have bothered. I can see the logic of only rewarding people who are going to become regular big shoppers at Sainsbury's, but as there's no foreseeable chance of me falling into that category there's no incentive to divert some of the occasional incidental spend to Sainsbury's if I can pick up these bits and pieces at Tesco for a guaranteed 1% cashback.
I agree. I'm not going to become a big spender at Sainsbury's (nor partners), therefore, I won't get decent bonuses or earnings in general. I get more of a return shopping in Harrods than I do Sainsbury's, and that's saying something considering the ease of earnings with Nectar.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 3:55 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you can accept that the Nectar points are variable, it's not just "big shoppers" that get a decent return.
Last week for a spend of about 15 quid over multiple small purchases I got

7 base points
110 bonus points

And that's ignoring the random 750 "juicy points"
Old Feb 24, 2021, 5:25 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
This really does seem so much better than the old Tesco ClubCard scheme. As someone else mentioned, I think in the last 1 month I have earned more Avios through this scheme than I did over each quarter of the previous Tesco scheme.

The trick of course is the weekly offers and taking advantage of these and most of the items offered are everyday anyway so all is fine. Am amazed they don't target at least some towards their higher value / margin items such as the "Taste the Difference" range or larger multi pack versions of things I often buy singly or in smaller packs, ie I usually buy a multi-pack Diet Coke in 8 cans but there are also 24 can multi-packs available. But as long as I can earn the equivalent of £70 worth of normal spend on a 40p tin of tomatoes or on just 2 pints of milk I'll be happy
jonkx likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:11 am

I really wish you could say "these offers are all useless to me" on the page. I check every week, but there's nothing there I would buy in every day shopping.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by RG1X
I really wish you could say "these offers are all useless to me" on the page. I check every week, but there's nothing there I would buy in every day shopping.
I only receive offers for things I have purchased previously. 1,270 bonus points with this weeks offers and I will buy every one regardless of the offer or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.