FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

BA announces Avios partnership with Nectar

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: BD*G + A3*G
Thinking of dumping my Avios to Nectar

have just under 1/2 million avios that have been sat unused for almost 10 years, these came from my old travel on BMA and transferee to avois when BMA went under

Tend to just book cheap now and find the taxes a d fees on premium points bookings put me off using them

as such with the new nectar linkup miles will transfer to about £4000 in cash usable at Sainsbury's Argos or Ebay

that will get me a nice new TV and some tech Only downside it will take 10months to transfer the points with the 50k a month limit in place

is this a crazy idea or do you think it’s a decent use for someone not really interested in redeeming on premium travel at the moment
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:36 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flashyphotos

have just under 1/2 million avios that have been sat unused for almost 10 years, these came from my old travel on BMA and transferee to avois when BMA went under

Tend to just book cheap now and find the taxes a d fees on premium points bookings put me off using them

as such with the new nectar linkup miles will transfer to about £4000 in cash usable at Sainsbury's Argos or Ebay

that will get me a nice new TV and some tech Only downside it will take 10months to transfer the points with the 50k a month limit in place

is this a crazy idea or do you think it’s a decent use for someone not really interested in redeeming on premium travel at the moment
You have lasted 10 years without spending them, 10 months will be easy. £4k is £4k, just spend it wisely.
Flashyphotos likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
You have lasted 10 years without spending them, 10 months will be easy. £4k is £4k, just spend it wisely.

easy enough to spend on things I want but not considered essential by SWMBO

new imac and TV. And done
Old Feb 2, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum

I think if you can't get any real value in redemptions from them greater than 0.8p each it's definitively the way to go.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold

Wait for the new M1 chip iMAC
Flashyphotos and James91 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Wait for the new M1 chip iMAC
yep that’s the plan. Have the M1 Mac mini and that’s what’s prompted me to get the new m1(x) imac as soon as it’s released the Mac mIni is a cracker for video work. Knocks my dual Xeon MacPro Classic into a cocked hat
Old Feb 2, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

Is there anywhere which doesn't have a £200.00 limit?
Old Feb 2, 2021, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Workie Ticket
Is there anywhere which doesn't have a £200.00 limit?

ebay the max voucher size is £200. But you can use multiple vouchers in a single transaction

there is no limit in Sainsbury's or Argos purchases either
Old Feb 2, 2021, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
eBay. £200 per voucher but you can have multiple ones.

Anecdotally buying and returning a £200 Argos item bought on points gets you a gift card. Repeat up to value of Mac ....
Old Feb 2, 2021, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Anecdotally buying and returning a £200 Argos item bought on points gets you a gift card. Repeat up to value of Mac ....
What's the benefit of that?
Old Feb 2, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
ebay the max voucher size is £200. But you can use multiple vouchers in a single transaction

there is no limit in Sainsbury's or Argos purchases either
Thanks - I thought there was a limit with Argos, but it’s just online:Online:

You can spend from 500 (£2.50) to a maximum of 40,000 (£200) Nectar points in one transaction. You’ll need to spend your points in 500 points/£2.50 increments (unless your points cover the entire purchase price and the total falls below the maximum points threshold).

In-store:

There is no maximum spend if you’re using your Nectar points in-store. You can spend from 500 (£2.50). You’ll need to spend your points in 500 points/£2.50 increments.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 1:54 pm

been thinking much the same.

Sitting on 800,000 miles but every time I come to book something I end up buying with cash as better value.

for instance, currently looking at business flights to Bali (peak time) for 3 passengers. Can book direct to SIN for 420,000 miles rtn using a 2-4-1 but still need close to £2000 in taxes. Then still need another flight to Bali which would probably be £100pp for air Asia or equivalent. So basically looking at half my miles and £2300 in cash.

I know I can buy Qatar flights ex eu for around £1300pp so around £3900 in total plus £50 in TFC for a RFS.

if I transferred the same 420,000 miles to nectar I have £3360 in pseudo cash. If I credit the “R”fare Qatar flights back to BAEC we would get a shade under 60,000 miles which in turn is worth another £480 in pseudo cash - meaning my total “cash out” nets me £3840.

my out of pocket cost would be £110 as a pose to £2300 using miles in the conventional way. Plus, the three of us would pretty much make silver via this route thus increasing the return on our next trip.

know there are counter arguments but unless I’m missing something (am I?), this makes most sense for our circumstances.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by lavar56
Same boat for me. I would give it a couple of weeks for it to embed shopping habits - I’m sure the offers will start to flow for us eventually!
I'm finding the same! I'm popping into my local one every few days to try to get the offers going.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
In app bonus example

Here’s a scratch card type bonus screen you are sometimes offered when you open the Nectar app. From memory I’ve not seen more that 20 points! But others may have.

Old Feb 2, 2021, 3:02 pm
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Here’s a scratch card type bonus screen you are sometimes offered when you open the Nectar app. From memory I’ve not seen more that 20 points! But others may have.

Get this pop up every time i shop in sainsburys, if haven't received any app bonus points in shop.
Usually on 5 or 10 points though..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.