Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Quick question - there were two people on the booking. Should we do 2 separate cases or one naming two people?

MCOL or CEDR? - I'd obviously like to go down the route of more likely success.
You may want to look at the main EC261 thread for details and data points. If the surnames are the same then it can be one case, if not I would submit one case, see what happens. Put a note in the case that there is a second claimant, and if successful let BA know they will have to go through the process again unless they settle the second case. MCOL will be faster and more likely to be successful, but CEDR would easier and wouldn't risk a court fee.
Lioneye and onlynik like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I’d be grateful for collective thoughts here.

BA have cancelled, amongst others, the return leg of a LHR-MAN return. The possible flights they’ve offered don’t work for me (I’m teaching on a course there and working in London the next day l so can’t fly 4 hours earlier). So looking to cancel the return leg and get the train, but BA are insisting on repricing it as a one-way if I do that. Is that in keeping with the regulations?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by navylad
I’d be grateful for collective thoughts here.

BA have cancelled, amongst others, the return leg of a LHR-MAN return. The possible flights they’ve offered don’t work for me (I’m teaching on a course there and working in London the next day l so can’t fly 4 hours earlier). So looking to cancel the return leg and get the train, but BA are insisting on repricing it as a one-way if I do that. Is that in keeping with the regulations?
No, that is inconsistent with UK261.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Bit of a BA/UK261 novice here so glad for some help here. How long does it take for BA to respond to a claim? For some context, I was scheduled to be on

LAX-LHR BA 280 July 8 (scheduled: 5:05pm - 11:30am(+1), actual: 06:36pm - 12:56pm(+1))
LHR-ATH BA 632 July 9 (scheduled: 1:45pm - 7:30pm).

BA 280 departed late from LAX due to late arriving crew and thus landed late on July 9 at 12:56pm. We were deplaned at remote stand 551 next to T5C and bussed to T5A. We did not arrive at T5A via bus until 1:17pm, causing me to miss the connection due to conformance. I was thus rebooked on

LHR-ATH BA 622 July 9 (scheduled: 10:25PM - 4:15AM(+1), actual: 11:03PM - 04:25AM(+1))

causing me to arrive 9 hours later. To be clear, I'm entitled to UK261 compensation in this case right?

Last edited by BR787; Jul 17, 2022 at 6:02 am
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by sb1982
I’d been keen for people to update us here with how they go on seeking compensation for the HAL cancelled flights, I realise it may take months - but time is on our side - what compensation route people took and what arguments they made (if they were ultimately successful).
Good idea. Have BA only started doing this since Heathrow made the recent limitations on flights, or were they doing it before? I had a GVA-LHR flight on 10/7 cancelled on 29/6. Too late to get the dispatch code now (argh!) and BA haven’t yet responded with a reason for cancellation. I do wonder if they’ll be likely to blame HAL. If they do, I will be posting my experience on here.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by AJA_
Just had cancellation notice for BA0503 LIS to LHR on Tuesday 19 Jul 2022 at 18 45

MmB only gives option to cancel for refund. No other flights offered.

Please can someone advise what cancellation reason is and whether eligible for EC261.
Hi everyone, sorry to bump this, but has the reason code for the cancellation of the BA0503 LIS-LHR on 19 July appeared yet? I fully expect it to be ARPN but it would good to know before I put in my claim for compensation. At this stage my rearranged flight is still showing as operating.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AJA_
Hi everyone, sorry to bump this, but has the reason code for the cancellation of the BA0503 LIS-LHR on 19 July appeared yet? I fully expect it to be ARPN but it would good to know before I put in my claim for compensation. At this stage my rearranged flight is still showing as operating.
Yes, I checked and you are correct, ARPN.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BR787
causing me to arrive 9 hours later. To be clear, I'm entitled to UK261 compensation in this case right?
It looks like you are in scope, on the information provided. BA sometimes responds quickly to clear cases, like within a week, but there are some people who have cases from 3 months ago unanswered. That at least is the time span you are looking at here.
BR787 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is any kind soul able to find out the cause of the cancellation of the 14:30 EDI - LCY today (BA8707) please?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Schiehallion
Is any kind soul able to find out the cause of the cancellation of the 14:30 EDI - LCY today (BA8707) please?

ZY so possibly due to incoming plane not making it
Schiehallion likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schiehallion
It's down as INDN - industrial action / no. I can't square that with any sort of reality since as far as I know LCY and EDI are not trying to ration flights, and I don't know of any strikes either. There is a hint that the flight had a rotational problem, e.g. a strike on a previous leg which caused the aircraft to be diverted.
Schiehallion likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by firstlight

ZY so possibly due to incoming plane not making it
G-lcyp the airframe for your flight is stuck in Florence I think ...

Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:21 am
Original Poster

G-lcyp the airframe for your flight is stuck in Florence I think ...
And there is a 4 hour ATC strike in Italy from 14hrs to 18 hrs today and the FLR-EDI service is delayed overnight.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And there is a 4 hour ATC strike in Italy from 14hrs to 18 hrs today and the FLR-EDI service is delayed overnight.
but the flight was due to leave flr for Edinburgh at 1140 (see expertflyer) so should not have been affected by the strike. It could be it was late for operational reasons and then missed its slot but this requires more information than I can find...
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:53 am
Original Poster

but the flight was due to leave flr for Edinburgh at 1140 (see expertflyer) so should not have been affected by the strike. It could be it was late for operational reasons and then missed its slot but this requires more information than I can find...
Well looking at the aircraft's movements on Saturday, where it did a number of trips between EDI and the Channel Islands, it got back to EDI over an hour late. I'm wondering if this ate too much in the crew rest time so they were always going to be over an hour late for work on Sunday, then due to all the other aircraft trying to get in and out of FLR, it ended up doing the morning's EDI-FLR 2 hours late, arriving into FLR at 13 hrs, and thus unable to get out.
firstlight and Schiehallion like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.