Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Have had a number of successes with MCOL, notably against Finnair, and I do the work (clearly stating the issues and resolution I want) so the expense is minimal, and is added to my claim anyway. You can go through the process mainly online and then put your local court as the named resolution centre. Most of the time you will get recompensed completely before it gets near court. You don’t need solicitors. AY pushed me all the way and then didn’t turn up for the hearing. Judge ( in a simple meeting room with me, at Oxford) said she wished I had claimed more as they were obviously wasting everyone’s time. Lol. Make sure you put all your costs and expenses in the claim, you can’t add more later.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Executive
18 year old son was stranded in South Africa in March and still no Comensation

In March my son left the game reserve where he had been volunteering and travelled to Port Elizabet Airport only to find his flight home to UK had been cancelled. He had not been informed in advance. He went into panic but eventually left the airport and found a hostel to stay in. Back in the UK I was on the phone all day trying to rebook him, eventually I got him on another flight the next day but this was also cancelled and consequently his connection in Joburg for flight to London was cancelled too. We eventually got BA to put him on a non BA affiliated flight to Joburg 4 days later.
Because it was a separate ticket he couldn't check in for both legs. He had a horrible 9 hour layover (his original flight was a 1.50 layover) in Joburg and couldn't even get into the departure terminal until 3 hours before flight.
He filled the form in online and sent copies of all his expenses but has heard nothing, other than 3 "apologies for delay" emails. He met several other young people caught up in the same situation who have, apparently all been compensated.
Does anyone know a number to call, email or whatsapp etc to try and escalate? It's been more than 3 months now.
Thanks so much.

Last edited by edufl; Jun 30, 2022 at 5:05 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Your best bet is to escalate to either CEDR or MCOL, see upthread for which is the best. - there are quite a few datapoints about this. There isn't an internal way to raise this, so you need to look externally. CEDR won't necessarily speed things up, MCOL would.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
It was only partially tongue in cheek ! For the record it is actually not possible to apply to set aside a Stat Demand served on a co: the correct course would be to seek an injunction restraining presentation of a petition. Any such application would inevitably be preceded by a letter from BA's legal advisers. The Stat Demand would then have served its purpose of getting someone to look at whether the money is owing or not. I am not for a moment suggesting that matters are taken beyond that point.
Our understandings on that issue are very different, either way whichever option is taken it is likely to become an expensive exercise and bound to fail as a a matter of law. If a company decides to go down the injunction route that would be even more expensive. Companies should never ignore a Statutory Demand and should consult their solicitors without delay with a view to making an immediate application to the court. Such applications are outside the scope of MCOL and exposes the losing party to significant costs.

To get back on topic, for the benefit of those who may need to enforce an ADR award in the future, MCOL is the proper arena for that and the only evidence required is the written Decision from CEDR. There is no need to go in to any detail of the original claim, you've already proven your case, the claim would be for enforcement of a binding ADR award.
sayling likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by wanderingjock
Have had a number of successes with MCOL, notably against Finnair, and I do the work (clearly stating the issues and resolution I want) so the expense is minimal, and is added to my claim anyway. You can go through the process mainly online and then put your local court as the named resolution centre. Most of the time you will get recompensed completely before it gets near court. You don’t need solicitors. AY pushed me all the way and then didn’t turn up for the hearing. Judge ( in a simple meeting room with me, at Oxford) said she wished I had claimed more as they were obviously wasting everyone’s time. Lol. Make sure you put all your costs and expenses in the claim, you can’t add more later.
How quickly did AY pay after that? Just curious in general.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K | Delta Diamond | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond
Apologies in advance as this is my first time in a situation (potentially) involving EC261 and while I've read up on the first few posts of the wiki, I'm a bit unsure exactly how to proceed/ask for.

Traveling on BA286 today 6/30 (F; SFO-LHR) connecting to BA942 tomorrow 7/1 (J; LHR-DUS; scheduled arrival of 17:35), but BA942 was cancelled this AM and we were rebooked onto BA946 (LHR-DUS; scheduled arrival of 21:30) and downgraded from J to Y in the process.

Assuming BA946 plane doesn’t miraculously make up time (it departs LHR 3h55m layer than BA942) and arrives more than 3 hours after BA942, am I entitled to compensation (not sure what caused the cancellation), and if so how much? Is it based on the entire route (SFO-DUS) meaning 600€/£520, or just LHR-DUS (250€/£220). Further, does the compensation for a downgrade from J to Y stack on this and if so, how?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you arrive more than 3 hours late, doors open, then you can claim EC261 for delay, but you are OK anyway since for cancellations it's 2 hours and against schedule. The timings are a bit inconsistent with each other. You can claim for the whole distance based on a single ticket from the USA, so the hgher amount. The downgrade also has a reimbursement attached to it, see the with wiki for the Mennens formula, but that will be for very little money probably, given the relative distances. It may be better, if you are a BAEC member, to ask for some Avios instead for that aspect. It's down as OPEY, which means you should get EC261 without too much trouble.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
So BA cancelled every DUS-LHR flight (connecting to JFK) I had been on for July 4th, all but the last one BA939 at more than 14 days prior (guess affected by the same reason as Ziron above).
Ticket was originally issued on BA but is now on AA as they reissued it (multiple times now) and "refused" to reschedule the TATL flight to a shorter connection because the "earlier flight is an illegal connection, you require at least two hours".

Three questions,
(1) any chance I can find out the cancellation reason for BA939?
(2) *IF* I do get onto the 10:45am departure BA937 and still arrive at the same scheduled arrival time, EC261 would be due since it's more than 1h earlier, regardless of whether I arrive on time?
(3) For my own sanity, since I don't have an active EF subscription anymore, the MCT for T5-T5 for JV BA/AA is 1h or 1h15m, right? For T5/T2 it might be 2h, I believe.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Originally Posted by AirbusA350
How quickly did AY pay after that? Just curious in general.
about 7 days.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Krisflyer
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's a BER-YYZ trip so it's potentially the 600€ amount per person.
Very helpful thread, thank you. I have a similar situation. I have a booking MAN-SIN on 11 July. On 29 June, BA1399 (MAN-LHR) was cancelled, and there is no alternative on the same day, so unless I travel another way I can’t make my connection at LHR (BA0015).

From previous posts, I see that cancelling for a refund won’t affect my eligibility to claim under EC261. But what distance would my claim be based on? I assume it would be MAN-SIN? Thank you. Also could anyone help with the reason for BA1399’s cancellation?

BB.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Thank you all for this thread. Extremely helpful. I was scheduled to be on BA541 BLQ-LHR (11:45-13:05), connecting to BA49 LHR-SEA (15:35-17:20), both on 12 July. BA541 was cancelled yesterday, 13 days before departure. I was given no alternatives on the 12th or 13th online or when calling in. Agent ended up rebooking me on the 11th instead (also BA541 and BA49). One question for you all: the language in the beginning of the thread states a passenger is entitled compensation if

"You are given between two weeks and 7 days’ notice of the cancellation and you are offered rerouting which leaves more than 2 hours earlier than originally scheduled OR arrives at your final destination more than 4 hours later than originally scheduled" (emphasis mine).

Just want to verify that since the alternative flight now departs 24 hours earlier, I can claim compensation of EUR600 (using SEA as final destination to calculate relevant distance). Most of the discussion has focused on flights arriving 4+ hours later than originally scheduled; couldn't find as much on significantly earlier departure (with an early arrival). Thank you!
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hello, could somebody check the reason for cancellation of BA983 yesterday (30 June) and today (1 July) from Berlin to Heathrow?

I’ve had this flight cancelled two days in a row at a few hours notice each time!
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Yesterday industrial action - No.

Today OPEY - operational - Yes.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zebes
Just want to verify that since the alternative flight now departs 24 hours earlier, I can claim compensation of EUR600 (using SEA as final destination to calculate relevant distance). Most of the discussion has focused on flights arriving 4+ hours later than originally scheduled; couldn't find as much on significantly earlier departure (with an early arrival). Thank you!
If BA pays compensation it will be at the half rate of 300€ due to the early arrival. See the recent posts for this including a discussion as to whether it really should be 600€. But this is what they would pay and you would probably need to initiate court action to get the full amount.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BettyBlue
From previous posts, I see that cancelling for a refund won’t affect my eligibility to claim under EC261. But what distance would my claim be based on? I assume it would be MAN-SIN? Thank you. Also could anyone help with the reason for BA1399’s cancellation?
If booked as oine ticket, it's the higher rate, which you would get if you cancelled, though note that BA is required to rebook you if you wish. Though this is a guess, I'd be pretty certain the reason for the cancellation is staff shortage. We won't get a dispatch code with more precision than that, due to the long cancellation timing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.