Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Latest guidance

From Heathrow Airport Limited, 22:14 GMT 19 Dec
Following UK Govt. advice, if you are in Tier 4, you should not be travelling unless it is legally permitted. If you’re in Tiers 1-3, you can still fly from Heathrow but should carefully consider whether you need to.

In light of the new tier restrictions, passengers should NOT plan unnecessary time at the airport. Please allow 2 hours ahead of departure for short haul flights and 3 hours for long haul flights.

More information can be found here

List of countries and territories currently restricting travel from the UK, from CWS's post 294, last updated at 18:30 GMT.
- Albania (till January 6th)
- Algeria
- Argentina
- Austria
- Belgium
- Brazil (post 589)
- Bulgaria
- Canada
- Chile
- China (Mainland)
- Colombia

- Croatia
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic (406)
- Ecuador
- El Salvador (also South Africa)
- Estonia
- France (48 hours for the moment)
- Finland
- Germany

- Gibraltar
- Hong Kong (also South Africa)
- Hungary
- India
- Iran
- Ireland
- Israel (also restricting Denmark and South Africa)
- Italy
- Jamaica (2 weeks, see post 397)
- Jordan
- Kuwait
- Latvia
- Lithuania

- Malta (339)
- Mauritius
- Morocco
- Netherlands
- North Macedonia
- Norway
- Oman (all countries)

- Pakistan
- Panama (also South Africa, post 409)
- Peru
- Poland
- Portugal
- Romania (from this afternoon, this morning's flight has gone ahead).
- Russia (1 week for now)
- Saudi Arabia
- Seychelles (until end of Jan - ref BA Holidays agent)(461)
- Singapore (from 2359 on Dec 23)

- Slovakia
- Spain (343)
- Sweden (also Denmark) (362)
- Switzerland (also South Africa)
- Tunisia
- Turkey (also Denmark, NL.)
Print Wikipost

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dove777
sorry, not able to post links yet. Was in the Telegraph (paywall) on 18 Nov under “

Latest travel news: Police issue 14 fines to people for trying to leave the UK”.

but re reading that it seems to have been the Police
They must have been dressed up in silly outfits or obviously drunk. I think you would have to actively try to be refused travel and fined. My experience at LTN was they ask where you are going and the purpose of the trip so long as you do not say 'off on holiday' you are through.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:55 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Overnighting at the Sofitel T5 after flying down earlier today for a connection tomorrow.

Hopefully it will be drama free at check-in.
Please update us on how it goes! Safe travels.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Looks like you are allowed to go abroad from a tier 1, 2 or 3 area and you can fly from an airport in a tier 4 (LHR, LCY). Tier 4 can travel for work, healthcare etc.

LGW is in a tier 2 as is a lot of its catchment area.

Based on this, fingers crossed most of the current BA schedule/network will survive this.
QPRPaul likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:58 pm

Half of London leaving before this kicks in. I wonder if BA experienced a similar surge today when it became clear what the restrictions were?
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by James91
https://twitter.com/spoonersean/status/1340387810319200258

Half of London leaving before this kicks in. I wonder if BA experienced a similar surge today when it became clear what the restrictions were?
Irony is by announcing what they have, they have likely sped up the spread of this 'new strain' that exists in London to the rest of the country, by spooking everyone into leaving now, lots of crowded trains of people from London to the rest of the country tonight. Clever!

EasyJet have confirmed on twitter their schedule will operate as normal over the 'next few days', and from what I am seeing on BA's twitter seems they are intending to operate as is as well. Good news for those with London - Scotland flights over the next few days. No guidance yet from ScotGov as to what 'exemptions' will be to the travel ban, but certainly comforting to know that the domestics will be operating.
James91 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by flyingsingh
We are all forgetting one thing, if your in tier 4 and you travel it voids your travel insurance so please think twice before making choices
It doesn't. Your travel insurance does not cover you if you travel against foreign office advice. The foreign office is saying you can travel if it is essential, and when I made enquiries what this means, it means essential business or something that can't wait. A funeral for example. My travel insurance company confirmed that if you were travelling for an essential reason you would be covered. Obvs a holiday isn't essential.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Not BA's problem, if the flight is going then no refund, Voucher for you.
This is currently being investigated by the authorities.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:43 pm

But if this policy stops 75% of the people who would have traveled, from traveling, then good enough for them I guess?
This is it, and most likely 75% of people will now not travel.

The chance of being stopped at the airport is slim. The chance of being asked for proof of address is even more slim. The chance of being asked for proof of address followed by proof of reason for travel is nigh on zero. And if you really want to cover yourself, arrange a house viewing or a meeting at your destination, then go and enjoy your holiday.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
https://twitter.com/spoonersean/status/1340387810319200258

Eurostar certainly did, the last train at 7pm was pretty much full (and I was on it). Now I'll have to worry about getting back in a week's time. Hopefully that doesn't prove too difficult, but I guess getting home is exempt.
James91 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Not sure you are right there. BA should only disclose information with a court order.

I think you need to listen to THE BA privacy policy and how they share information with UK and overseas border agencies which I think you will find is 100% shareable without a court order
Taltem likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by steview111
This is it, and most likely 75% of people will now not travel.

The chance of being stopped at the airport is slim. The chance of being asked for proof of address is even more slim. The chance of being asked for proof of address followed by proof of reason for travel is nigh on zero. And if you really want to cover yourself, arrange a house viewing or a meeting at your destination, then go and enjoy your holiday.
What a selfish attitude. Just because you can probably circumvent the regulations without getting checked doesn’t mean it’s big or clever to do so.

If this wretched virus carries on spreading like it is other countries are not going to admit us.

Furthermore it’s likely that more draconian restrictions will Be enforced bearing in mind this is subject to review in 2 weeks time and every 2 weeks after that.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:37 pm

Hey just wondered what people’s thoughts are on this. I’ve been reading info all night trying to see if it’ll still be okay.. my fiancé is coming over from the US in a few days, to self isolate with me in Scotland and then we are getting married in January.

As far as I’ve seen, weddings are still allowed to go ahead in Scotland but with limited numbers which is fine. He has a U.K. Visa for the wedding and the Scot Gov do have travel for wedding as one of the exceptions and transitting but with this travel ban, should this still be the case?

He’s flying in to Heathrow then connecting domestically up here on Wednesday. Just pretty confused. We are all going in to Tier 4 from Boxing Day too (currently tier 1 )
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by cheshirepete
This is currently being investigated by the authorities.
really - what’s the source of that. Would make sense if the Govt really wanted to ensure people in Tier 4 didnt travel by ensuring they got a refund rather than voucher
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
What a selfish attitude. Just because you can probably circumvent the regulations without getting checked doesn’t mean it’s big or clever to do so.

If this wretched virus carries on spreading like it is other countries are not going to admit us.

Furthermore it’s likely that more draconian restrictions will Be enforced bearing in mind this is subject to review in 2 weeks time and every 2 weeks after that.
100% agree, it seems these days FT is becoming a community of how to ''get around'' restrictions rather than assist in stopping the spread...
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pandaloverx
Hey just wondered what people’s thoughts are on this. I’ve been reading info all night trying to see if it’ll still be okay.. my fiancé is coming over from the US in a few days, to self isolate with me in Scotland and then we are getting married in January.

As far as I’ve seen, weddings are still allowed to go ahead in Scotland but with limited numbers which is fine. He has a U.K. Visa for the wedding and the Scot Gov do have travel for wedding as one of the exceptions and transitting but with this travel ban, should this still be the case?

He’s flying in to Heathrow then connecting domestically up here on Wednesday. Just pretty confused. We are all going in to Tier 4 from Boxing Day too (currently tier 1 )
ScotGov have not really given us any information yet on exemptions from their travel ban, they have not even confirmed the dates yet 'nobody can cross between Scotland and rUK during the festive period' is all we have been given. My guess would be that the exemptions for funerals, weddings, work, healthcare, caring etc will stay.

Also weirdly whilst they are 'banning' travel to and from rUK, they are only 'strongly discouraging' travel to and from abroad. Arriving from the US (the transit in LHR would not count) to Scotland to attend a wedding, and provided he isolate for 10 days should be okay, but we need the ScotGov guidelines first.
James91 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.