Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Latest guidance

From Heathrow Airport Limited, 22:14 GMT 19 Dec
Following UK Govt. advice, if you are in Tier 4, you should not be travelling unless it is legally permitted. If youre in Tiers 1-3, you can still fly from Heathrow but should carefully consider whether you need to.

In light of the new tier restrictions, passengers should NOT plan unnecessary time at the airport. Please allow 2 hours ahead of departure for short haul flights and 3 hours for long haul flights.

More information can be found here

List of countries and territories currently restricting travel from the UK, from CWS's post 294, last updated at 18:30 GMT.
- Albania (till January 6th)
- Algeria
- Argentina
- Austria
- Belgium
- Brazil (post 589)
- Bulgaria
- Canada
- Chile
- China (Mainland)
- Colombia

- Croatia
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic (406)
- Ecuador
- El Salvador (also South Africa)
- Estonia
- France (48 hours for the moment)
- Finland
- Germany

- Gibraltar
- Hong Kong (also South Africa)
- Hungary
- India
- Iran
- Ireland
- Israel (also restricting Denmark and South Africa)
- Italy
- Jamaica (2 weeks, see post 397)
- Jordan
- Kuwait
- Latvia
- Lithuania

- Malta (339)
- Mauritius
- Morocco
- Netherlands
- North Macedonia
- Norway
- Oman (all countries)

- Pakistan
- Panama (also South Africa, post 409)
- Peru
- Poland
- Portugal
- Romania (from this afternoon, this morning's flight has gone ahead).
- Russia (1 week for now)
- Saudi Arabia
- Seychelles (until end of Jan - ref BA Holidays agent)(461)
- Singapore (from 2359 on Dec 23)

- Slovakia
- Spain (343)
- Sweden (also Denmark) (362)
- Switzerland (also South Africa)
- Tunisia
- Turkey (also Denmark, NL.)
Print Wikipost

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
[Deleted as lclylocal posted info in immediately prior post]
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Waggy
I'm booked to MLE on Tuesday - clearly not a business trip so given I am now prohibited from travelling since I live in Tier 4 - will BA refund my ticket or only offer me a voucher - my argument is its not a voluntary cancellation but involuntary under govt rules - I'd obviously much prefer to go!!
Book a house viewing in the Maldives and it suddenly becomes a business trip.
Lynyrd, Dover2Golf and Calchas like this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by steview111
Book a house viewing in the Maldives and it suddenly becomes a business trip.
I thought was a joke. Is that actually a rule? My partner is legitimately looking for a new apartment...
Lynyrd, Calchas and SxMan like this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by James91
I thought was a joke. Is that actually a rule?
It was a specifically mentioned permitted reason to travel in the November lockdown, so I assume so.
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Waggy
I'm booked to MLE on Tuesday - clearly not a business trip so given I am now prohibited from travelling since I live in Tier 4 - will BA refund my ticket or only offer me a voucher - my argument is its not a voluntary cancellation but involuntary under govt rules - I'd obviously much prefer to go!!
Wonder whether Male, Cancun and Punta Cana will be cancelled over the next 2 weeks?

In regards my situation and I am being totally serious here, the Dominican Republic is the sole source location for larimar, so I actually do need to go there for work related reasons.
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:16 pm
dnw

The guidance isnt particularly clear. You cannot travel abroad unless it is for a permitted reason, but there is no definition of what constitutes a permitted reason.

Hopefully the statutory instrument will be published shortly and clarify.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Wonder whether Male, Cancun and Punta Cana will be cancelled over the next 2 weeks?

In regards my situation and I am being totally serious here, the Dominican Republic is the sole source location for larimar, so I actually do need to go there for work related reasons.
I presume they will because loads will be so light you will have to fly Iberia via Madrid and Santo Domingo and then a two hour drive to Punta Cana.
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:33 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Here are the official guidelines:

Why is there different wording when it comes to international travel vs traveling within the country? For international travel, the rules are "should not travel" rather than "must" - does this mean anything?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by Neilgcal
Hi

Any thoughts as to what will happen with the festive schedules when the 1600 announcement is made about London moving to Tier 4 and stay at home order being made?

I live in Scotland and where we can travel as I am in a low tier however I am transiting LHR next week. I presume they wont leave the schedules intact if no one in the South East can travel as passenger numbers will fall off the cliff.
How does the instructions given by the Scottish government effect travel out of there (or in) now?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold
As ever, the mixed messaging is awful - as if it wasn't written in English:
"If you are in Tier 4, you should not be travelling abroad unless it is permitted. In addition, you should consider the public health advice in the country you are visiting."
Why the 'In addition'? Surely it should be :
"If you are in Tier 4, you should not be travelling abroad unless it is permitted. If you are permitted to and must travel, you should consider the public health advice in the country you are visiting."
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by JessicaB
I presume they will because loads will be so light you will have to fly Iberia via Madrid and Santo Domingo and then a two hour drive to Punta Cana.
Worth remembering that Gatwick and almost everywhere to the South and West of it will remain in Tier 2, and plenty of passengers will be coming from these regions and permitted to travel.
flyingcrazy and DaveS like this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JessicaB
It is in February though hoping it will go ahead direct then. Who knows though?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SW7London
...On a related point - has the UK banned any travellers from entry at all during this Pandemic? From any country? I think its been a free-for-all, with travellers "quarantining" when they arrive. Yes, of course they do.
Well, for the three trips I've done I have quarantined for 14 days each time - actually, make that 14 days x3 x2 (UK and US): I follow the science and my concious!
krispy84 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Engineering Travel
How does the instructions given by the Scottish government effect travel out of there (or in) now?
The Scottish government's instructions are quite clear: travel between Scotland and the rest of the UK is banned, by law, unless for essential purposes, and that the police will be asked to strengthen enforcement.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by Misco60
The Scottish government's instructions are quite clear: travel between Scotland and the rest of the UK is banned, by law, unless for essential purposes, and that the police will be asked to strengthen enforcement.
Would that mean checks at the airports..?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.