Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Latest guidance

From Heathrow Airport Limited, 22:14 GMT 19 Dec
Following UK Govt. advice, if you are in Tier 4, you should not be travelling unless it is legally permitted. If you’re in Tiers 1-3, you can still fly from Heathrow but should carefully consider whether you need to.

In light of the new tier restrictions, passengers should NOT plan unnecessary time at the airport. Please allow 2 hours ahead of departure for short haul flights and 3 hours for long haul flights.

More information can be found here

List of countries and territories currently restricting travel from the UK, from CWS's post 294, last updated at 18:30 GMT.
- Albania (till January 6th)
- Algeria
- Argentina
- Austria
- Belgium
- Brazil (post 589)
- Bulgaria
- Canada
- Chile
- China (Mainland)
- Colombia

- Croatia
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic (406)
- Ecuador
- El Salvador (also South Africa)
- Estonia
- France (48 hours for the moment)
- Finland
- Germany

- Gibraltar
- Hong Kong (also South Africa)
- Hungary
- India
- Iran
- Ireland
- Israel (also restricting Denmark and South Africa)
- Italy
- Jamaica (2 weeks, see post 397)
- Jordan
- Kuwait
- Latvia
- Lithuania

- Malta (339)
- Mauritius
- Morocco
- Netherlands
- North Macedonia
- Norway
- Oman (all countries)

- Pakistan
- Panama (also South Africa, post 409)
- Peru
- Poland
- Portugal
- Romania (from this afternoon, this morning's flight has gone ahead).
- Russia (1 week for now)
- Saudi Arabia
- Seychelles (until end of Jan - ref BA Holidays agent)(461)
- Singapore (from 2359 on Dec 23)

- Slovakia
- Spain (343)
- Sweden (also Denmark) (362)
- Switzerland (also South Africa)
- Tunisia
- Turkey (also Denmark, NL.)
Print Wikipost

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flyingsingh
We are all forgetting one thing, if your in tier 4 and you travel it voids your travel insurance so please think twice before making choices
Yes, I thought about this too, I know some insurers cover against FCO advice, but this is more strict, meaning you would likely invalidate any insurance terms.
Also I’d imagine there is potential risk of flight cancellations down the line meaning being stranded in country you fly out to?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
I have a policy that covers covid, but 99.9 percent of polices invalidate when you travel against official government guidance, I confirmed it with Amex and avanti
hence the word some, not all. Amex and Avanti are not the only insurers.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Colossus
Yes, I thought about this too, I know some insurers cover against FCO advice, but this is more strict, meaning you would likely invalidate any insurance terms.
Also I’d imagine there is potential risk of flight cancellations down the line meaning being stranded in country you fly out to?
not sure I follow, If accident happens in say Thailand, what does that have to do what tier you are in the UK?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mario
Doesn't this have to go through parliament or something to be enshrined in law?
I assume the regs will be subject to made affirmative procedure, so the vote will come later, but the regs will meantime have effect from such time as set out in them.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by QPRPaul
Flew to Moscow on business during November lockdown, my Russian visa was a business visa and I had a letter to confirm business activity but nobody asked for it at check in. At the gate was quizzed by a police officer, but I reckon this was more to do with Moscow being the destination that the lockdown rules.
I’ve encountered plain clothes police twice at the Moscow gate before, pretty common I think.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: Virgin Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Platinum,
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
hence the word some, not all. Amex and Avanti are not the only insurers.
Do you know of any insurance providers that cover you when you break the law by traveling or are you just assuming someone does?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:28 pm

Do you know of any insurance providers that cover you when you break the law by traveling or are you just assuming someone does?
The question is, are you breaking the law in the country you claim / buy the policy from. not the country you travelled from.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
You can only be stopped if they can prove you live in Tier 4. The bulk of the country is legally able to fly from Heathrow and indeed will do so.
Stopped at the airport? Or on the way to the airport?

I do live in Tier 4, only 15mins away from Heathrow, so being stopped on the way there at 6am will be highly unlikely I think.

So basically as long as they cannot 'prove' I live in Tier 4 when doing check in etc I should be fine? What about asking for purpose of travel etc?

Before anyone says if it's not essential as listed by the government I should not travel, I have not seen the love of my life for over 9 months due to travel restrictions, so we are meeting in a 3rd country just after Xmas to spend 1 month together. I'm not wasting 4 weeks of annual leave and a few Łk, not to mention the mental health effect, as this trip is 100% essential to me.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Battleface covers travel "incl. countries under FCO & non-essential travel advisories".
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by aldino

I do live in Tier 4, only 15mins away from Heathrow, so being stopped on the way there at 6am will be highly unlikely I think.

So basically as long as they cannot 'prove' I live in Tier 4 when doing check in etc I should be fine? What about asking for purpose of travel etc?

Before anyone says if it's not essential as listed by the government I should not travel, I have not seen the love of my life for over 9 months due to travel restrictions, so we are meeting in a 3rd country just after Xmas to spend 1 month together. I'm not wasting 4 weeks of annual leave and a few Łk, not to mention the mental health effect, as this trip is 100% essential to me.
1. travel, you are right - no police ever in the UK, so you are fine getting to LHR
2. you don't have to tell the police where you live, unless they are arresting you. However if in the airport, they may ask BA etc. although technically BA cant disclose due to data protection etc.
3. sadly your "situation" as ever as much you think it is, isn't essential. we all have burdens during covid (sadly)
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

You will be fine. Too many of my colleagues traveled during the last lockdown with no checks or whatsoever.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level

Ask the 3rd country for a letters of invitation, for your good selves, obviously explaining why the reason to travel is essential and that the local population need to stay away from you..Should work no problem....
passy777 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by tom139
Battleface covers travel "incl. countries under FCO & non-essential travel advisories".
Tom I did look into them but Amex warned me that this isnt an advisory by the FCO , this is a Government Legal statutory Law. Hence it doesn't matter where you buy the policy from , if you live in tier 4 you wont be covered, trust me im looking for a workaround as im due to travel on tuesday but so far hitting brick walls
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:37 pm

Tom I did look into them but Amex warned me that this isnt an advisory by the FCO , this is a Government Legal statutory Law. Hence it doesn't matter where you buy the policy from , if you live in tier 4 you wont be covered, trust me im looking for a workaround as im due to travel on tuesday but so far hitting brick walls
Since when is AMEX a legal advisory firm?

the world's a global market, many firms outside of the UK can provide you a policy.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:37 pm

Who are you insured with?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.