Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Latest guidance

From Heathrow Airport Limited, 22:14 GMT 19 Dec
Following UK Govt. advice, if you are in Tier 4, you should not be travelling unless it is legally permitted. If you’re in Tiers 1-3, you can still fly from Heathrow but should carefully consider whether you need to.

In light of the new tier restrictions, passengers should NOT plan unnecessary time at the airport. Please allow 2 hours ahead of departure for short haul flights and 3 hours for long haul flights.

More information can be found here

List of countries and territories currently restricting travel from the UK, from CWS's post 294, last updated at 18:30 GMT.
- Albania (till January 6th)
- Algeria
- Argentina
- Austria
- Belgium
- Brazil (post 589)
- Bulgaria
- Canada
- Chile
- China (Mainland)
- Colombia

- Croatia
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic (406)
- Ecuador
- El Salvador (also South Africa)
- Estonia
- France (48 hours for the moment)
- Finland
- Germany

- Gibraltar
- Hong Kong (also South Africa)
- Hungary
- India
- Iran
- Ireland
- Israel (also restricting Denmark and South Africa)
- Italy
- Jamaica (2 weeks, see post 397)
- Jordan
- Kuwait
- Latvia
- Lithuania

- Malta (339)
- Mauritius
- Morocco
- Netherlands
- North Macedonia
- Norway
- Oman (all countries)

- Pakistan
- Panama (also South Africa, post 409)
- Peru
- Poland
- Portugal
- Romania (from this afternoon, this morning's flight has gone ahead).
- Russia (1 week for now)
- Saudi Arabia
- Seychelles (until end of Jan - ref BA Holidays agent)(461)
- Singapore (from 2359 on Dec 23)

- Slovakia
- Spain (343)
- Sweden (also Denmark) (362)
- Switzerland (also South Africa)
- Tunisia
- Turkey (also Denmark, NL.)
Print Wikipost

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2020, 6:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by flieduk
Don't let Raffles hear you say that.
I would switch to boarding schools and lock gates for full term
MaxFlyer and Neilgcal like this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 6:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by peter1962
Unless I missed it (and i haven't had my coffee yet), there is nothing in there restricting international travel.
yes. Just like lockdown 2.

however you can only leave your home if it is for a reasonable excuse, such as work or getting medical help. Leaving home for The purpose of going on holiday would not be a reasonable excuse.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 6:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes. Just like lockdown 2.

however you can only leave your home if it is for a reasonable excuse, such as work or getting medical help. Leaving home for The purpose of going on holiday would not be a reasonable excuse.
And to be extra clear, that final sentence applies in law to those currently living in Tier 4, London and parts of South East England. Those who live elsewhere may want to be cautious. exercise prudence, but it's not a legal restriction. For those coming to London/SE from overseas there aren't extra restrictions (beyond PLF and in many cases self isolating) but there is a valid question to ask as to whether such a trip can wait a few months or not. Travel itself may become logistically tricky. We can all push boundaries, the virus will usually do it better.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by peter1962
My situation is a dual US/UK national with residences in both Tier 4 and USA. Leaving Tier 4 to spend Winter in USA. So if my understanding is correct, if asked on way to Heathrow for address simply present USA passport and indicate travel for legal obligations in USA.

thoughts anyone?
I think technically the starting point is that this is probably unlawful, as the issue of where you are living is a matter of fact and really by the sound of it you live in a Tier 4 area. Your immigration status / nationality is not relevant - you are within England and so the law applies to you and it is unlawful for you to leave or be outside of the place where you are living without reasonable excuse.

What is the real reason for your trip? Be honest with yourself - look in the mirror and give the reason. If it’s reasonable - ie if you were to ask a ‘reasonably well informed and fair minded person’ perhaps on a bus in the context of the world as it is at the moment is this person’s reason reasonable, what would they say?

Pragmatically, it may be on a fact specific basis that you are moving home to the USA. Have a look at Reg 2 (2) (f) (iv).

I wouldn’t get into passports though as it comes back to factually do you live in Tier 4 and if so do you or don’t you have a reasonable reason for leaving home.
steve170461 and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by steve170461
Initial thought is that you risk being the individual that potentially introduced the new strain into the US.
In this world of cancel culture let me first state that I'm asking these questions for a friend in the position described. Secondly the discussion is about current UK travel restrictions, not US entry requirements. Obviously my friend will have to consider their legal, ethical, and humanitarian position before embarking.

Quedate en casa
Usa tu mascara
steve170461 and IAMORGAN like this.

Last edited by peter1962; Dec 20, 2020 at 7:08 am Reason: typo correction
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by chriswiles
True. I was pulled aside by the police flying to Germany in November. Was surprised what information they wanted from me. Was allowed to continue (let's face it, they aren't going to stop people boarding), but was a little spooked by that. If this new virulent strain is taken seriously by the government, I can see them taking this more seriously that the half-baked November lockdown.
Pulled aside where exactly? What information did they want?
James91 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I think technically the starting point is that this is probably unlawful, as the issue of where you are living is a matter of fact and really by the sound of it you live in a Tier 4 area. Your immigration status / nationality is not relevant - you are within England and so the law applies to you and it is unlawful for you to leave or be outside of the place where you are living without reasonable excuse.

What is the real reason for your trip? Be honest with yourself - look in the mirror and give the reason. If it’s reasonable - ie if you were to ask a ‘reasonably well informed and fair minded person’ perhaps on a bus in the context of the world as it is at the moment is this person’s reason reasonable, what would they say?

Pragmatically, it may be on a fact specific basis that you are moving home to the USA. Have a look at Reg 2 (2) (f) (iv).

I wouldn’t get into passports though as it comes back to factually do you live in Tier 4 and if so do you or don’t you have a reasonable reason for leaving home.
In this case the person has homes in both countries and spends Winter in the USA, while the UK home is in Tier 4, the regulations do allow for extra-Tier 4 travel for the purposes of payng taxes - which is indeed a genuine reason for the return to the USA in this case.

Anyway, thank you to all that have commented and offerred opinion. I'll pass it on and the person can make up their own mind on this.

May you all have a peaceful Christmas and a Safe and Healthy New Year.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by flyingsingh
Because Im worried about getting back home at the rate countries are restricting travel back to the UK and no insurance will cover flight costs due to covid cancellations etc Sometimes the peace of mind wins over worrying while away if we will get back or not
Which countries have done this?
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: AC 35K
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Which countries have done this?
I assuming they mean Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Italy which have banned all flights from the UK. presumably a flight to the UK cannot operate if it can’t operate back from the UK.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
Countries banning us very fast today which is concerning. I would assume we are not the only country with this new variant of COVID-19 probably the only country that has realised it exists.

anyone heard any acknowledgement of its existence from any other country?
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by theultimateflyer
I assuming they mean Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Italy which have banned all flights from the UK. presumably a flight to the UK cannot operate if it can’t operate back from the UK.
Ah, I assumed the flights would still go to pick up passengers returning to the UK. A bit of a mess if not.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:26 am

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.i...e-23196500.amp

looks like Ireland could join the list
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by danboy767
Countries banning us very fast today which is concerning. I would assume we are not the only country with this new variant of COVID-19 probably the only country that has realised it exists.

From what I’ve read, there are lots of variants of Covid. Matt Hancock mentioned that one of these is more virulent than usual.

To misquote Alex Ferguson - “When Matt Hancock states something as factual, I check under the sauce to make sure”
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Ah, I assumed the flights would still go to pick up passengers returning to the UK. A bit of a mess if not.
that’s a possibility too. I was merely speculating on what I thought the OP meant
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by danboy767

definitely too late. I would guess this is already in circulation in much of the European continent unfortunately, even though it hasn’t been confirmed yet
flyingcrazy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.