Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Latest guidance

From Heathrow Airport Limited, 22:14 GMT 19 Dec
Following UK Govt. advice, if you are in Tier 4, you should not be travelling unless it is legally permitted. If youre in Tiers 1-3, you can still fly from Heathrow but should carefully consider whether you need to.

In light of the new tier restrictions, passengers should NOT plan unnecessary time at the airport. Please allow 2 hours ahead of departure for short haul flights and 3 hours for long haul flights.

More information can be found here

List of countries and territories currently restricting travel from the UK, from CWS's post 294, last updated at 18:30 GMT.
- Albania (till January 6th)
- Algeria
- Argentina
- Austria
- Belgium
- Brazil (post 589)
- Bulgaria
- Canada
- Chile
- China (Mainland)
- Colombia

- Croatia
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic (406)
- Ecuador
- El Salvador (also South Africa)
- Estonia
- France (48 hours for the moment)
- Finland
- Germany

- Gibraltar
- Hong Kong (also South Africa)
- Hungary
- India
- Iran
- Ireland
- Israel (also restricting Denmark and South Africa)
- Italy
- Jamaica (2 weeks, see post 397)
- Jordan
- Kuwait
- Latvia
- Lithuania

- Malta (339)
- Mauritius
- Morocco
- Netherlands
- North Macedonia
- Norway
- Oman (all countries)

- Pakistan
- Panama (also South Africa, post 409)
- Peru
- Poland
- Portugal
- Romania (from this afternoon, this morning's flight has gone ahead).
- Russia (1 week for now)
- Saudi Arabia
- Seychelles (until end of Jan - ref BA Holidays agent)(461)
- Singapore (from 2359 on Dec 23)

- Slovakia
- Spain (343)
- Sweden (also Denmark) (362)
- Switzerland (also South Africa)
- Tunisia
- Turkey (also Denmark, NL.)
Print Wikipost

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Nyghtwing
I'd also be interested to know if the regulations touch upon in the above post. I do not see anything specific in regards to foreign citizens returning home with British family member(s).

I have friends travelling home to the U.S. tomorrow. It's a family of three. Two Americans and one British national (mother, daughter, and father). They live between both countries and are heading to the U.S. for the next few months. They live in London (Tier 4).
Please let us know what does happen to your friends on their way to the USA
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Nationality isn't important here. What is important is the reason for travel. If it is to be with family and friends over Christmas, for example, that is unlikely to be a reasonable excuse under the legislation.
The poster said it is due attending to a health crises. They are therefore fine to enter.

Also worth noting that US citizens use the E-Gates at LHR so it is very likely they will not even encounter a Border Force Agent anyway to ask them.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by noirpepper
thank you. I was wondering if US citizens arriving in London to be with family residing in tier4 due to health crisis will be allowed to enter tomorrow in Heathrow.
They probably would be OK, but they are at risk of being asked the details behind the reason for the travel by the Border Force. If it is essentially a Christmas gathering in Tier 4 then this could be problematic. If it is to provide respite care then that would be OK, if the person travelling was having a health crisis then that may be OK.
noirpepper and Pelu like this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
The poster said it is due attending to a health crises. They are therefore fine to enter.
There are two posts involved,, the usernames are quite similar though.

Heathcare crisis may well be a reasonable excuse, but if I was a Border Force officer I may ask whether someone living with them already is able to provide necessary assistance. You don't actually have the right to visit someone in their own home with a healthcare crisis unless it's a death bed visit, however there are complex care exemptions allowed. A US citizen doesn't have a right of entry, and there was a case of someone denied entry during Lockdown 1.0 since the Border Force did not consider supporting a new mother to be permissable (accepting there may have been more to that particular case).
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Vgravity
I think the risk is you get stranded abroad. If EU countries ban UK flights then you could be in a tough spot abroad.
I away from the UK visiting my parents in Portugal and am now seriously concerned about being able to return. I'm a permanent resident but not a national, would I even be allowed on a repatriation flight?
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Mordac
I away from the UK visiting my parents in Portugal and am now seriously concerned about being able to return. I'm a permanent resident but not a national, would I even be allowed on a repatriation flight?
if you live in UK you will be allowed to go home as permanent resident. I am sure not all flights will stop (famous last words)...
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:37 am

Nationality isn't mentioned at all in the relevant SIs, they apply across the board, and you aren't advantaged or disadvantaged by nationality, thankfully. People are allowed to return to their home, but since I see that France and Germany are now restricting flights, along with the others previously mentioned, and the Move Directorate has called an emergency meeting for tomorrow morning, it may be worth thinking of plan B, depending on the date of your planned return and whether you have anything important on the day after your proposed return.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
You'll probably be able to go between the EU and the UK prior to January 1, which countries is questionable. The text from the France ban:

The statement from French Prime Minister Jean Castex said: "The 48-hour time limit is intended to achieve two objectives:

"To allow time for coordination between EU Member States in order to define a common doctrine on the regulation and control of travel from the United Kingdom;

"To prepare operationally for the secure reopening of flows from the United Kingdom from December 22nd, based on a mandatory testing system at the start of the journey;

"We will pay particular attention to the specific situation of French nationals who plan to return to France to spend the festive season with their families. We are already encouraging them to make arrangements for a PCR test in the coming days."
What's likely to be the case is that in 48 hours, transportation will be possible but negative PCR test required to enter France.
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Nationality isn't mentioned at all in the relevant SIs, they apply across the board, and you aren't advantaged or disadvantaged by nationality, thankfully. People are allowed to return to their home, but since I see that France and Germany are now restricting flights, along with the others previously mentioned, and the Move Directorate has called an emergency meeting for tomorrow morning, it may be worth thinking of plan B, depending on the date of your planned return and whether you have anything important on the day after your proposed return.
I'm planned to return on the 28th but am flexible forwards or backwards. My current plan (not B, think we're in C or D now!) is to get to Dublin and then take a bus to Belfast, then find some way to get from there to England. I might have to cross the border illegally though! Wish me luck for dragging two suitcases across the Donegal and Tyrone moors! (only semi-joking)
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Where countries have banned flights BA appear to have one or two flights tomorrow or the couple of days after - then thats it.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 12:21 pm

I'm planned to return on the 28th but am flexible forwards or backwards. My current plan (not B, think we're in C or D now!) is to get to Dublin and then take a bus to Belfast, then find some way to get from there to England. I might have to cross the border illegally though! Wish me luck for dragging two suitcases across the Donegal and Tyrone moors! (only semi-joking)
Donegal will be a bit wet, so you'll need your wellies. And your big coat.

More seriously, insofar as I proffer unserious advice, I can see flights greatly reducing in number, but the car ferries will probably be the last to stop. So Portugal-CDG-CQF-DOV-ZLX (how is that for IATA coding?) will probably work.
Mordac likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 12:32 pm

Donegal will be a bit wet, so you'll need your wellies. And your big coat.

More seriously, insofar as I proffer unserious advice, I can see flights greatly reducing in number, but the car ferries will probably be the last to stop. So Portugal-CDG-CQF-DOV-ZLX (how is that for IATA coding?) will probably work.
Fortunately I brought my big coat with me, but I'll have to buy the wellies en route

wrt your more serious advice, I did have to look a few of those up (DOV was obvious, but the others far from), but it sounds doable. I'm actually booked with AF so I already have a ticket for the LIS-CDG leg anyway! Wonder how they'd react to that proposed rerouting though
Old Dec 20, 2020, 12:42 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by CKBA
A while back (probs 18 months or so) when boarding a European light (it was from the A-gates) all pax were questioned by two policemen before getting on the plane. No apparant reason, two imple questions - where and how long long.
18 months ago? What was the travel restriction back then?
Old Dec 20, 2020, 12:47 pm
Suspended

ZLX is Zalingei in Sudan!
Old Dec 20, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the car ferries will probably be the last to stop.
Well, the current French ban affects all UK-->F traffic including cars and ro-ro freight traffic. That said, I would hope that they would be reinstated before the 28th (otherwise the impact on travelers will be the least of our worries in the UK).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.