Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Latest guidance

From Heathrow Airport Limited, 22:14 GMT 19 Dec
Following UK Govt. advice, if you are in Tier 4, you should not be travelling unless it is legally permitted. If youre in Tiers 1-3, you can still fly from Heathrow but should carefully consider whether you need to.

In light of the new tier restrictions, passengers should NOT plan unnecessary time at the airport. Please allow 2 hours ahead of departure for short haul flights and 3 hours for long haul flights.

More information can be found here

List of countries and territories currently restricting travel from the UK, from CWS's post 294, last updated at 18:30 GMT.
- Albania (till January 6th)
- Algeria
- Argentina
- Austria
- Belgium
- Brazil (post 589)
- Bulgaria
- Canada
- Chile
- China (Mainland)
- Colombia

- Croatia
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic (406)
- Ecuador
- El Salvador (also South Africa)
- Estonia
- France (48 hours for the moment)
- Finland
- Germany

- Gibraltar
- Hong Kong (also South Africa)
- Hungary
- India
- Iran
- Ireland
- Israel (also restricting Denmark and South Africa)
- Italy
- Jamaica (2 weeks, see post 397)
- Jordan
- Kuwait
- Latvia
- Lithuania

- Malta (339)
- Mauritius
- Morocco
- Netherlands
- North Macedonia
- Norway
- Oman (all countries)

- Pakistan
- Panama (also South Africa, post 409)
- Peru
- Poland
- Portugal
- Romania (from this afternoon, this morning's flight has gone ahead).
- Russia (1 week for now)
- Saudi Arabia
- Seychelles (until end of Jan - ref BA Holidays agent)(461)
- Singapore (from 2359 on Dec 23)

- Slovakia
- Spain (343)
- Sweden (also Denmark) (362)
- Switzerland (also South Africa)
- Tunisia
- Turkey (also Denmark, NL.)
Print Wikipost

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:05 am
TSE

Programs: BA, LH, AF, TK
Russia appears to be playing down the new strain at the moment according to the Moscow Times
ExpatExp and flyingcrazy like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:13 am

The LHR-IST flight departed this morning on time
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:32 am
Suspended

Seems like the US and Russia are NOT going to be blockading the UK.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Colombia, Sweden, Chile and Saudi Arabia too.

Maybe best to do a list of countries NOT banning BA flights from UK?

- Mexico
- Dominican Republic
- Spain
- Greece
- Portugal (Portugal citizens or residents only)
- Brazil
- Singapore
- South Africa
- Kenya
- UAE
- Qatar
- Antigua

Any others? Expecting the list to dwindle further as the day goes on sadly.
Male is still flying - annoyingly since I can't go on my flight tomorrow since I'm in Tier 4!!
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Waggy
Male is still flying - annoyingly since I can't go on my flight tomorrow since I'm in Tier 4!!
But it is for work! no?

And Russia has banned UK flights for a week. Eurgh.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:46 am

I'm not sure how you turn up for a flight to MLE with your family from Tier 4 and with a straight face say its a business trip but I'm sure plenty of people are or lie about where they have just travelled from to the airport - I toyed with the idea for a short moment since we are all in need of a break but then decided to postpone the trip until next Xmas as the right thing to do. Still haven't cancelled my flight and will wait for last minute to do that in case the situation changes.

As I have said elsewhere, it is a shame (but I guess understandable) that airlines will not give refunds to those of us in Tier 4 who are forbidden by law to leave our homes (except for limited reasons) where they haven't cancelled flights - perhaps the CMA investigation into this from the last lockdown will lead to retrospective refunds - I've lodged a complaint as recommended via BA website so if I do take the voucher tomorrow I should be able to benefit from any decision down the line.

I assume chances of flights to Doha or Male from UK being cancelled tomorrow is slim to zero now ?
DYKWIA, A P Yu and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:48 am
Suspended

I'm not sure how you turn up for a flight to MLE with your family from Tier 4 and with a straight face say its a business trip or who lie about where they have just travelled from but I'm sure plenty of people are - I toyed with the idea for a short moment since we are all in need of a break but then decided to postpone the trip until next Xmas as the right thing to do. Still haven't cancelled my flight and will wait for last minute to do that in case the situation changes.

As I have said elsewhere, it is a shame (but I guess understandable) that airlines will not give refunds to those of us in Tier 4 who are forbidden by law to leave our homes (except for limited reasons) where they haven't cancelled flights - perhaps the CMA investigation into this from the last lockdown will lead to retrospective refunds - I've lodged a complaint as recommended via BA website so if I do take the voucher tomorrow I should be able to benefit from any decision down the line.

I assume chances of flights to Doha or Male from UK being cancelled tomorrow is slim to zero now ?
You can get an FTV though, no?

Also regards business, plenty people will go for business I am sure, obviously not as many as tourists but real estate, government affairs, accountants, hotel managers etc, probably be surprised how much it could add up.

For example with me I am booked for PUJ, but it actually is a business trip. DR is the only place where larimar is mined. Maybe Maldives has an equivalent. Mexico certainly has a lot of mining.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
You can get an FTV though, no?

Also regards business, plenty people will go for business I am sure, obviously not as many as tourists but real estate, government affairs, accountants, hotel managers etc, probably be surprised how much it could add up.

For example with me I am booked for PUJ, but it actually is a business trip. DR is the only place where larimar is mined. Maybe Maldives has an equivalent. Mexico certainly has a lot of mining.
yes can get a FTV - it will be for almost 6k though so I'd prefer the cash!!
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:21 am
Suspended

I'm not sure how you turn up for a flight to MLE with your family from Tier 4 and with a straight face say its a business trip but I'm sure plenty of people are or lie about where they have just travelled from to the airport - I toyed with the idea for a short moment since we are all in need of a break but then decided to postpone the trip until next Xmas as the right thing to do. Still haven't cancelled my flight and will wait for last minute to do that in case the situation changes.

I think you are very much in the minority. For curiosity, I tracked the MLE flights last night from the government announcement until yesterday afternoon. Very few cancellations. Between two 777 services, at 4:30pm Saturday there were a total of five F/J seats across the two 777 flights. It appeared that there were probably seven F/J seats in the end.

Tonight looks quite booked as well.

I looked at MLE specifically given the demographics are likely to be heavily Tier 4 (sure a few Tier 2 and a few connectors).

At the end of the day - most people are going to realize (1) 90+% chance there is no check at all and (2) if there is, the worst that is likely going to happen is a 200 GBP FPN (annoying but frankly, if you can afford Christmas week int he Maldives, probably quite affordable - I've had bigger bar tabs there). I don't think we've heard a single experience of someone being threatened with arrest trying to board a flight that wasn't essential during the November lockdown or Tier 4. Maybe that will change. Until then, I imagine many will continue their holidays.
kingstontoon and flyingcrazy like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:22 am

I'm not sure how you turn up for a flight to MLE with your family from Tier 4 and with a straight face say its a business trip
My worry is the fact we discuss this and potential ways to get around these restrictions....to go on holiday. No wonder the UK is in such a mess and can't get over constant lockdowns. People just think 'rules are there to be circumvented' and discuss ways around them, not realising everyone else is doing the same.

We'll be in another national lockdown soon, with no travel, nothing, probably as soon as this coming weekend.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:24 am
Suspended

I think you are very much in the minority. For curiosity, I tracked the MLE flights last night from the government announcement until yesterday afternoon. Very few cancellations. Between two 777 services, at 4:30pm Saturday there were a total of five F/J seats across the two 777 flights. It appeared that there were probably seven F/J seats in the end.

I looked at MLE specifically given the demographics are likely to be heavily Tier 4 (sure a few Tier 2 and a few connectors).

At the end of the day - most people are going to realize (1) 90+% chance there is no check at all and (2) if there is, the worst that is likely going to happen is a 200 GBP FPN (annoying but frankly, if you can afford Christmas week int he Maldives, probably quite affordable - I've had bigger bar tabs there). I don't think we've heard a single experience of someone being threatened with arrest trying to board a flight that wasn't essential during the November lockdown or Tier 4. Maybe that will change. Until then, I imagine many will continue their holidays.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015

I guess that may be true - but if you do get stopped beyond the fine you may be too late to cancel the flight/accomodation and if you do go you run the risk that your insurance will not cover you for the trip
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by chriswiles
My worry is the fact we discuss this and potential ways to get around these restrictions....to go on holiday. No wonder the UK is in such a mess and can't get over constant lockdowns. People just think 'rules are there to be circumvented' and discuss ways around them, not realising everyone else is doing the same.

We'll be in another national lockdown soon, with no travel, nothing, probably as soon as this coming weekend.
With the greatest respect. Almost every single heavily populated country in the world is in the same boat as us so let's not single out and belittle the UK and specifically their people for something that is happening everywhere.
Steve_ZA, wrp96, James91 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chriswiles
My partner's employer has told its staff that wilfully disobeying the new covid regulations will be treated as misconduct, and going on holiday as gross misconduct that could lead to dismissal. More firms should do that.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:46 am

On a practical note, BA has enacted Defcon 3. Meaning those travelling before 31 Dec between the UK and Europe(exc Domestic), India, Canada, KSA, Chile, Kuwait, HK, Israel and Argentina can rebook free of charge even if a flight has not been cancelled. The intention is to allow those who want to get home to do so, while freeing up space from those who don’t.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.