Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mega Club Europe cabins

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:04 am

On our flight back from Malta in CE a couple of weeks ago there were 10 rows of CE and was full.
It was fine bar the fact the food arrived before any drinks were offered and that was an hour in. No Champagne left which disappointed some others near by and we were all rather thirsty by that point but a refill was offered afterwards.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
All the way back to row 10 on ZRH-LHR on Monday. Fortunately I was in row 11 in ET, and they couldn’t find any CE pax willing to shift to row 10 - so got a nice upgrade. No problem with champagne, but ran out of meal choice.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Loved the Tristar as did customers in Europe, in its day it was the most spacious and comfortable aircraft in the sky.
The crew trained on it were known as “Brown but Broke” because in our 6 day working block we either did a 4 day ATH,LCA,TLV or CAI with two days of mostly CDGs.
There were long haul versions of the Tristar which were great to fly on. I recall taking one to CDG and being under the tail engine. Made for a short but noisy flight.

I am certain BA operated it to Bahrain as well as Pakistan, India, Kuala Lumpur. The F cabin was vast and a lovely experience.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 6:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Just checked in for FAO-LHR tomorrow. CE goes back to row 14. Have never seen it that far back before on this route.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Just checked in for FAO-LHR tomorrow. CE goes back to row 14. Have never seen it that far back before on this route.
Does this not indicate there is a market for a more premium product and that BA should concentrate on improving CE instead of the race to compete with the LCC's?
pacenotes and Robert279 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DelTroon
Does this not indicate there is a market for a more premium product and that BA should concentrate on improving CE instead of the race to compete with the LCC's?
I agree that they should improve it but why would they when they are clearly getting big numbers with a poor product?
ermis177 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by binman
There were long haul versions of the Tristar which were great to fly on. I recall taking one to CDG and being under the tail engine. Made for a short but noisy flight.

I am certain BA operated it to Bahrain as well as Pakistan, India, Kuala Lumpur. The F cabin was vast and a lovely experience.
That’s correct the Tristar 200, you were or are a smoker to have sat in the rear cabin?
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:54 am

They would get even more (hopefully!)
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
I'm going to Malta on Friday and there are 14 rows in CE and all seats are taken.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
I've observed this on just about every TFS flight I've taken in the past year, with 10+ rows full in CE on every flight and ET 40% full at most. { Only exception to this was the flight home on Friday where ET was full, but it was the last weekend of the school holidays. }

Would suggest the factors in play on the holiday buses currently causing this are....

1. The PUGs are £20 - £30 cheaper than pre covid.
2. Because flights are not reaching anywhere near capacity, the PUGs are being offered on nearly all flights at some point.
3. Couples are upgrading so they don't have anyone next to them.
4. Because of the additional costs of tests, a higher ratio of the more affluent are travelling ATM, which coupled with the reduction in flights means more natural demand for CE vs ET.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
yowza, my corfu flight this weekend is showing 12 rows CE back to the second exit row and T-2 only 3 seats remain unassigned/showing avail.
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Absolutely. Is why I have paid up for business for trips upto US from Mex and also internal in US. Don't want to be too cramped in. Plus having not travelled much in last year, I'm looking to make the most of each trip by having the extra little things. One other point I'd add, BA Club Europe is not a poor product compared to most of what is on offer in Europe. Most European short-haul is same seating type with drinks and food. There may be some slightly better soft offerings, but the hard product is largely the same (bar Turkish).

Originally Posted by The Geek
I've observed this on just about every TFS flight I've taken in the past year, with 10+ rows full in CE on every flight and ET 40% full at most. { Only exception to this was the flight home on Friday where ET was full, but it was the last weekend of the school holidays. }

Would suggest the factors in play on the holiday buses currently causing this are....

1. The PUGs are £20 - £30 cheaper than pre covid.
2. Because flights are not reaching anywhere near capacity, the PUGs are being offered on nearly all flights at some point.
3. Couples are upgrading so they don't have anyone next to them.
4. Because of the additional costs of tests, a higher ratio of the more affluent are travelling ATM, which coupled with the reduction in flights means more natural demand for CE vs ET.
ermis177 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DelTroon
Well, maybe. I fly CE because I don't want the sub-Ryanair legroom of ET when the exit row is part of the CE cabin and am prepared to pay the additional price or Avios to have a bit more space, a snack and a drink and a slightly more pleasurable experience. This only works as long as the price is bearable and I must say that despite the aircraft appearing to be jam-packed the CE price was very reasonable indeed.
Grande Annee and TTmex like this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by VSLover
yowza, my corfu flight this weekend is showing 12 rows CE back to the second exit row and T-2 only 3 seats remain unassigned/showing avail.
Yep..our outbound to Corfu was completely full last week. Busy little island at the moment! Take a sun hat as you may have to queue outside to get into the terminal and pass through immigration.
VSLover and Grande Annee like this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Well, well, well. Come on BA FT…

Normally once big CE cabins are mentioned, the old days of the 6-across 767s to DME of 150-ish CE passengers are the benchmarks.

Clearly there was 3 hours to complete the service but I never remember a service where I wasn’t full of champagne and caviar by the end of the journey!

That said, there seemed to be about 20 crew serving CE on those flights but it’s possible I was seeing double at the time.
SKT-DK, justin_krusty and Will100 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.