Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mega Club Europe cabins

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2021, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Camflyer
It is understandable to be annoyed but not getting a drink on a very short business class flight is the definition of a "First World Problem" and certainly shouldn't be a reason to "lose it" or be "furious"
kdhurst did not “lose it”. They said they were close to it which is really understandable. They came here to vent at BA’s poor service levels and I respect that.
Have a look at the delays at LHR thread today. So much frustration with the occasional poster saying that happily it all went well for them. BA’s USP: total inconsistency. It should be consistent good service with the unusual failure being adequately apologised for. Not the “we’re sorry you feel that way” non-apology.
I can’t be the only one looking at my next CE leisure flight and thinking “Do I trust BA to deliver a decent service?” I have a choice and can cancel, people flying week in week out for work must be getting mighty tired of this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by kdhurst380
Godawful LHR-MAN flight today. Crew were slow and disorganised. My OH ordered two champagnes and it was assumed one was for me - the Inflight Lead didn't hang around to ask me (on a side note, the big bottles of NF have reappeared *sigh*).

I got the attention of the IL and she asked me to bear with her. People being served seconds, 10 mins to landing call comes... still no drink. Asked again when they were clearing away and sealing up and the response was "Sorry I didn't get a chance".

To say I was furious is understatement of the year. I've flown this route for years on a regular basis and I have never, ever experienced this. They were even apologising over the PA because they didn't manage to do the full ET service, which to my understanding is throw bottles of water and crisps at people.

It was quite incredible, and it's the first time I've ever given no thanks to the crew on leaving the aircraft. I remain thankful that the flight deck didn't take it upon themselves to thank the crew for their hard work over the PA (like they did on the previous flight despite the crew not being anything special), otherwise I might've actually lost it.
It does seem that a lot of the crew (including the Inflight Leads) have never done the MAN route before - and are in at the deep end once the plane has taken off - many of them have commented on this when providing the service. It used to be quite normal to see the same CC faces on that route - but it doesn't happen now.

Because (I understand) the CC do all routes now - longhaul and shorthaul - I expect that the demands of MAN come as a bit of a surprise, especially if the CE cabin is large.

I feel that the more senior managers in BA are aware of some of the service and ground ops shortcomings and are now learning how the loss of so many experienced employees, plus the re-org of cabin crew structures is negatively impacting service across the board.
mrow, ExpatExp, hydro001 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It’s obvious that there are a few problems here but they all start and finish with BA, crew shortages, training and greed. I believe that BA should cap the CE cabins to a number that can be safely and professionally delivered, will that happen, absolutely no chance!
Of course customers should complain, they should complain if they do not receive everything advertised.
Capped Club Europe loads on domestics and express (band 1) was something which was promised to crew in training when the new club Europe service was introduced, around same time as BOB was introduced .... Surprisingly that (the cap) never happened...
Can I help you likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:49 am

Godawful LHR-MAN flight today. Crew were slow and disorganised. My OH ordered two champagnes and it was assumed one was for me - the Inflight Lead didn't hang around to ask me (on a side note, the big bottles of NF have reappeared *sigh*).

I got the attention of the IL and she asked me to bear with her. People being served seconds, 10 mins to landing call comes... still no drink. Asked again when they were clearing away and sealing up and the response was "Sorry I didn't get a chance".

To say I was furious is understatement of the year. I've flown this route for years on a regular basis and I have never, ever experienced this. They were even apologising over the PA because they didn't manage to do the full ET service, which to my understanding is throw bottles of water and crisps at people.

It was quite incredible, and it's the first time I've ever given no thanks to the crew on leaving the aircraft. I remain thankful that the flight deck didn't take it upon themselves to thank the crew for their hard work over the PA (like they did on the previous flight despite the crew not being anything special), otherwise I might've actually lost it.
The big bottles of Champagne are a temporary product substitution- like rest of the UK there are lots of stock and supply issues affecting BA currently including fruit juices and amenities
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by hydro001
The big bottles of Champagne are a temporary product substitution- like rest of the UK there are lots of stock and supply issues affecting BA currently including fruit juices and amenities
In the past, I've seen the crew set up tray of glasses of champagne, ready to go, on CE heavy routes, to speed up the the service. (this is in the GB Airways days, who usually had the big bottles as I recall).
Old Sep 13, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

As I said in my original post, I've been flying this route for years on a regular basis (currently more or less every week) and this is the first time I've ever had this and I've seen bigger and more full cabins. I've flown it frequently enough to know what a poor service looks like, as well as a polished, efficient service.

I went the whole flight without a drink when others were being served top ups, you're seriously telling me it wouldn't bother you to see that happening?

This is nothing to do with my expectations. BA failed to deliver part the onboard product that they sold me, and I have every right to be miffed about it.
Make a complaint via the website without losing it. For less time than you spent here { you can copy / paste most from here}, they will probably throw you a few k Avois based on what I've read.
Flyinghigh320 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
regarding MAN, it is not acceptable - When you had a familiar trained crew the service was top notch. I remember once squeezing in 6 rounds / the customer next to me had 3 etc etc and the crew didnt seem rushed at all.
simonsmith and ThatT1Feeling like this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
regarding MAN, it is not acceptable - When you had a familiar trained crew the service was top notch. I remember once squeezing in 6 rounds / the customer next to me had 3 etc etc and the crew didnt seem rushed at all.
Six is impressive on MAN. I’ve managed six to Belfast but that was from LCY with only 4 pax in CE and LCY’s slightly longer routing!
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Capped Club Europe loads on domestics and express (band 1) was something which was promised to crew in training when the new club Europe service was introduced, around same time as BOB was introduced .... Surprisingly that (the cap) never happened...
Nor will it until crew refuse to operate and with the BASSAs backing get BA to follow agreements.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
It's incredibly frustrating sometimes over the last few months. clearly crew are coming back and many are not familiar with short haul service and especially doing that on a very short flight. 23 minutes service time should be sufficient to give a good service on a MAN flight, but you can immediately tell when it starts going downhill when they do things like wait for seat belt signs before getting up and so on. Does none of the learning from MF doing MAN route for years get passed on?

I hope this gets better soon as crews become more familiar with the short haul service routine, but like you I am getting increasingly frustrated with the situation.
This is exactly what happened. There was lots of pre-departure trolley shuffling and my first thought was "oh lovely they're on it". Seatbelt signs went off, they slowly got up and started dithering around discussing how they were going to complete the service. People had started getting up to use the loo by this point so cue trolleys going back and forth to let people past.

The Inflight Lead sent the trolley down to start at row 3 whilst they did the first two rows, which seemed an odd way of doing things and didn't speed things up at all considering they were still having to go down to the trolley and bring the meal trays back, followed by drinks.

The 10 minutes call appeared to be a complete surprise to them and suddenly the sense of urgency kicked in.

I recall MAN/LBA flights under MF and as you say, you wouldn't have known they had such little time to complete the service. They were absolutely on form. I fondly remember the LHR-LBA flight with 8 or 9 rows of Club, afternoon tea given out, drinks round one served, trays collected and another round served, even had time for a chat in the galley whilst I waited to use the loo and the crew member had more drinks ready for me to grab on my way back to my seat without even asking. THAT is how it should be done.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 1:48 am

This is exactly what happened. There was lots of pre-departure trolley shuffling and my first thought was "oh lovely they're on it". Seatbelt signs went off, they slowly got up and started dithering around discussing how they were going to complete the service. People had started getting up to use the loo by this point so cue trolleys going back and forth to let people past.
Sounds very similar to my experience on the way back up to Edinburgh on Saturday. Throw in the IFL supervising the two crew handing out the wet wipes and the male member of crew spending almost fifteen minutes flirting with two off duty crew seating in 1E/F once boarding was complete, a chap having to ask for an extension four times and finally getting it as we were trundling towards the runway. The manual safety announcement wasn't much better with the "Pull the red toggle" line being read out three times.

Much back and forth and activity in the galley once the door was closed but it seemed totally disorganised once service started with people getting the wrong special meals etc even though they were being read off the iPad on the trolley and confirmed with the passenger before they were put down in front of the pax for them to hand them back.

The drinks trolley went first with two crew followed by the food one and a passenger sandwiched in between them with the IFL giving the instruction to the drinks trolley just to keep serving. It wasn't until they established three rows later that the pax was in row ten that they relented and let him past.

They got everyone served but they appeared to be making it difficult and very stressful for themselves
Old Sep 14, 2021, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Out of interest, any information on how many bottles are being loaded? I've noticed that the BA Speedbird Lager has been unavailable the last few flights, presume that might be linked to the current shortages.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 5:18 am

The Inflight Lead sent the trolley down to start at row 3 whilst they did the first two rows, which seemed an odd way of doing things and didn't speed things up at all considering they were still having to go down to the trolley and bring the meal trays back, followed by drinks.

The 10 minutes call appeared to be a complete surprise to them and suddenly the sense of urgency kicked in.

I recall MAN/LBA flights under MF and as you say, you wouldn't have known they had such little time to complete the service. They were absolutely on form. I fondly remember the LHR-LBA flight with 8 or 9 rows of Club, afternoon tea given out, drinks round one served, trays collected and another round served, even had time for a chat in the galley whilst I waited to use the loo and the crew member had more drinks ready for me to grab on my way back to my seat without even asking. THAT is how it should be done.
I think part of the issue is that a lot of IFLs are not used to shorthaul, with their corresponding previous roles being ex WW CSLs or ex MF World Class, which are predominantly or exclusively long haul positions. The available service time of a MAN is less than the final stages of descent which is what most would be used to. Not an excuse but just maybe an explanation.

And to answer question re training upthread - no training scenarios in the mock up cover high club Europe loads on short domestic flights- and we have very 'compliant' passengers in the mock up who don't want second drinks and don't use the toilets lol (even when trialling new services).

But yes with experience and correct crewing levels, the service can be slick and efficient with top up drinks.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 5:29 am

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD

I can recall even economy being served a meal going back less than 30 years and on a route like LHR-BFS it was always managed.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
"In response to customer feedback, BA is delighted to announce that we are enchancing service on our London to Manchester route. We will be expanding our popular Euro Traveller service to the entire aircraft cabin, with a wide range of drinks and snacks which can be ordered from your electronic device."

I'm not normally a BA copywriter, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.