Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Fairness for one. A lot of younger people haven’t officially had the chance yet to be double vaccinated.
This is by far the most infuriating excuse I'm hearing from HMG.

There's been no fairness for younger people in how the pandemic has been handled. The younger generations have been the most likely to lose their jobs in the pandemic (I was one of those, fired under a LIFO process). University students have been let down so badly, all while having to pay full fees, that it's not even funny. School students as well have been let down massively, especially those too poor to have internet and a laptop. Then there's been the shameful debacle of the school meals, and this is all before we go into the old chestnut that are pensions, retirement age, access to healthcare, housing...

But somehow HMG has decided to become all touchy-feely about the right of young 'uns to be able to go abroad. I've got an idea instead: let the older generations go on holiday and return without having to quarantine. Let 'em do it today. I'm happy to having to keeping on self isolating... but in exchange can I have a defined benefit pension?

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Off of here, virtually everyone I talk to says they are happy enough to give up holidays / travel for a while, but would hate to go back into lockdown.
And I'd be happy to give up on going to the pub if that allowed me to travel to see my family, my friends, my colleagues and my clients - which incidentally would enable me to keep my job since, come September, I better be able to travel to Europe at the drop of a hat without too many issues. You see, there's different views everywhere you go.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:06 am

So it appears that BA has gone from double daily (one of them recently upgauged to the A380) to cancelling both DXB flights until 15 August 2021(which just sounds really silly, to be honest!) - anyone affected by the cancellation? I have two friends who are booked on it and they are going to phone BA today to see what options are offered.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 8:23 am

My BA107/ 106 flights on 19th and 27th August were cancelled today and rebooked to the 105/ 104. Needed to change the date for the return, called and all sorted very quickly, was amazed to get through in about 5 minutes mid morning.
Not holding out much hope of going though with DXB not likely to move off the red list! Will await the next cancellation email.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by stargold
So it appears that BA has gone from double daily (one of them recently upgauged to the A380) to cancelling both DXB flights until 15 August 2021(which just sounds really silly, to be honest!) - anyone affected by the cancellation? I have two friends who are booked on it and they are going to phone BA today to see what options are offered.
Yes I got cancelled and I’m delighted as I can’t see it moving to amber by Aug. I’ve now managed to move 4 off peak avios seats in F into the Oct half term for no extra cost… I’m delighted! I’m not that convinced even that will go ahead, so may roll them into Xmas or Easter. Either way, revenue seats are outrageous in holidays in F and awards in F non existent for 4 seats so it’s working ok for me !
Old Jul 2, 2021, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
which just sounds really silly, to be honest!
Silly in what sense? Do you know something about current and expected demand that maybe we don't know?

When my flights for this month were canceled, BA were more than happy to move my flights to any future dates on which I was willing to travel, but were unwilling to move me to QR flights on the original days I had wanted to travel. (My itim is DFW-LHR-DXB, and I had asked to be moved on DFW-DOH-DXB.)
Old Jul 2, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
Yes I got cancelled and I’m delighted as I can’t see it moving to amber by Aug. I’ve now managed to move 4 off peak avios seats in F into the Oct half term for no extra cost… I’m delighted! I’m not that convinced even that will go ahead, so may roll them into Xmas or Easter. Either way, revenue seats are outrageous in holidays in F and awards in F non existent for 4 seats so it’s working ok for me !
I have to call BA this week to move flights originally scheduled for 7 July. If I pick dates in, say, September, but later decide to push my flights back even further, will BA allow an additional change at no cost?
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
I have to call BA this week to move flights originally scheduled for 7 July. If I pick dates in, say, September, but later decide to push my flights back even further, will BA allow an additional change at no cost?
I am afraid any voluntary changes will be subject to normal fare rules, so for example fare difference if applicable.

If you are responding to a cancellation then that's your involuntary change, but you get one free shot so use it wisely, or wait to see before you use it up. Once you have done your involuntary change, any further changes are deemed voluntary ones.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
I am afraid any voluntary changes will be subject to normal fare rules, so for example fare difference if applicable.

If you are responding to a cancellation then that's your involuntary change, but you get one free shot so use it wisely, or wait to see before you use it up. Once you have done your involuntary change, any further changes are deemed voluntary ones.
That's exactly what I'm concerned about. My LHR-DXB and return flights were canceled, so I know BA will allow a free change. But do I need to make that decision now -- my original travel dates were 7-30 July -- or will they allow me to wait? If I am forced to make a decision now, I almost certainly will opt for a refund. But my preference is to wait until the fall until I know when I want to travel.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
Silly in what sense? Do you know something about current and expected demand that maybe we don't know?
Silly in the sense they took the step of upgauging one of the two existing flights to an A380 very recently, only to cancel both flights completely - the two actions don't really make sense together to me. How was there forecasted demand for 700+ seats daily until yesterday, which was seemingly then re-evaluated today to being not enough to warrant even one 787 flight?

Anyway, friends called up BA and were moved to the QR codeshare to DOH in J, then connecting to QR Y to DXB. Wouldn't budge on giving F to DXB even though the flight is coded as FY with no J.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Silly in the sense they took the step of upgauging one of the two existing flights to an A380 very recently, only to cancel both flights completely - the two actions don't really make sense together to me. How was there forecasted demand for 700+ seats daily until yesterday, which was seemingly then re-evaluated today to being not enough to warrant even one 787 flight?
Got it. It's obviously a very dynamic situation. It also would not at all surprise me if there are two teams (albeit very scaled down in size due to covid), one that focuses on scheduling and a second on aircraft allocation.

Anyway, friends called up BA and were moved to the QR codeshare to DOH in J, then connecting to QR Y to DXB. Wouldn't budge on giving F to DXB even though the flight is coded as FY with no J.
That's interesting. When I spoke with BA two weeks ago they claimed they were unable to move me to the QR flights. I'll need to try again. Fortunately that DOH-DXB leg is just a puddle jumper.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 4:23 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Looking for some collective knowledge here ... as there isn't anything left this summer to Dubai, do you think they would be lenient to move a cancelled Avios flight from LHR-DXB to LHR-RUH?
Old Jul 17, 2021, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If it’s within 300 miles, yes. If not, no.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by BA Humbug
Looking for some collective knowledge here ... as there isn't anything left this summer to Dubai, do you think they would be lenient to move a cancelled Avios flight from LHR-DXB to LHR-RUH?
No tourist visas to KSA right now, unless something has changed I'm not aware of?
Old Jul 17, 2021, 4:00 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by Raffles
If it’s within 300 miles, yes. If not, no.
How I wish the DMM flight was still operating ...
Do you know if they will alternatively endorse onto the EK flights?

Originally Posted by ratechaser
No tourist visas to KSA right now, unless something has changed I'm not aware of?
Nothing's changed, but since I work there 40% of the time on a business visa, getting in isn't my problem at the momebt Also not entirely sure who thinks a tourist visa to KSA in August would be a good idea ...
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 6:48 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by BA Humbug
Nothing's changed, but since I work there 40% of the time on a business visa, getting in isn't my problem at the momebt Also not entirely sure who thinks a tourist visa to KSA in August would be a good idea ...
Fair enough! Although the people that I know that also work there have been caught out with short notice border closures, so it sounds like a bit of a lottery regardless. Assuming you're not very well connected of course!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.