Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2021, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Time to leave the UAE....

I received my PCR test certificate this morning (from RAK hospital). Whilst it has my name and age on it, it doesn't have my passport number. Anyone had any issues at immigration (anywhere) with a PCR certificate that doesn't have a passport number ?

BTW, for those interesed - In Ras Al Khaimah they are still doing the free PCR test if you have stayed in a RAK hotel for at least 2 days (need a certificate from the hotel - offer now ends 31st March). If not then the test costs 150 AED (Ł30 GBP). I got tested yesterday at 11am and my test result/certificate arrived today at 10am. The queue at 10am in the Al Hamra Mall was large (maybe 40 people) - loads of Russians and no social distancing by many (it was like a queue for a coffee with everyone chatting etc). If anyone in the queue was positive then I am sure they'd have passed it on - not great!!
The Al Hamra Mall situation still sounds miles better than the situation at the real RAK Hospital site in RAK city centre, which involves being confined in a small barely-ventilated tent for over 2 hours with 100+ other people waiting to be registered for a COVID test... Oh, and then they don't send you your results unless you chase them!
Old Feb 19, 2021, 3:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by MikeManx
I thought they might start to do that.

Of course the PCR test will tell them which country you had it done in, and therefore where you had been the previous 72 hours.

However you don't need either a PLR or PCR if you flying in only from Ireland (CTA) without having originated elsewhere, so there will still be challenges for Border Force as some travellers will quite rightly be able to state that they don't need either.
CTA is a little more complex and anyone not born on british isles is not entitled to it. So permanent resident of uk with say german passport arriving from DUB still does need a passport to come to London (officially that is). Unless one has multiple passports and can somehow hide the DXB stamps I would not advise this route. (if one really wanted to cheat the system, one would take a train to belfast and then a domestic flight - if they still exist, i hear of LBA demise much to KARFA disappointment
Old Feb 19, 2021, 3:39 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Yay, glad to be leaving the UAE and on my way to Malta (via Istanbul).

Was a bit suprised to see a BA plane landing as we were departing (on TK) although it was doing it's best to hide amongst the EK aircraft.

VSLover, HB7, DaveS and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:09 am

My June 26th flight to Dubai (BA107) is scheduled to be an A380. I assume this is going to change closer to the time as we’re not expecting to see the A380 back in action any time soon?
Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:16 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
From what I’ve seen this week Border force checking DUB arrivals at jet bridge for PLF and PCR this week in T2 and T5 as no immigration due to CTA.

Just like at BHX I’d imagine they’d catch the red list arrivals that haven’t declared it.
If you really wanted to be sneaky (and I'm of course not advocating this), couldn't you just get in a taxi from DUB to BHD and then get a domestic flight back home...?
Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:31 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by subsonic001
My June 26th flight to Dubai (BA107) is scheduled to be an A380. I assume this is going to change closer to the time as we’re not expecting to see the A380 back in action any time soon?
I have heard from two people working at LHR that BA is planning to return some A380s to service at the end of May. So I would say that there is a remote possibility - but nothing more.
LHR FLYER and subsonic001 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by ratechaser
If you really wanted to be sneaky (and I'm of course not advocating this), couldn't you just get in a taxi from DUB to BHD and then get a domestic flight back home...?
In theory yes. However you would need to go through immigration at Dublin with a completed Ireland Passenger Locator Form, your PCR test, and copies of your train ticket and onward flight from Belfast as proof that you will be in Ireland for less than 24 hours.

The Immigration Officer then enters details of your onward flight into his computer. I have no idea if that info is then passed to UK Border Control, but it might be.

You do not of course have to complete a UK PLF flying out from Belfast to the UK, but you would definitely be met off the plane in the UK by Border Control if Ireland has forwarded your Belfast-UK flight details to them along with the country you originated from.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:50 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Yes, and this has been a big headache for both irish and uk governments. They specifically addressed it in recent irish Taoiseach press conference. Ireland will have mandatory hotel quarantine starting within a few weeks, so that will put an end to this loophole as quarantine will be enforced at the first point of entry
Old Mar 1, 2021, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by MikeManx
In theory yes. However you would need to go through immigration at Dublin with a completed Ireland Passenger Locator Form, your PCR test, and copies of your train ticket and onward flight from Belfast as proof that you will be in Ireland for less than 24 hours.

The Immigration Officer then enters details of your onward flight into his computer. I have no idea if that info is then passed to UK Border Control, but it might be.

You do not of course have to complete a UK PLF flying out from Belfast to the UK, but you would definitely be met off the plane in the UK by Border Control if Ireland has forwarded your Belfast-UK flight details to them along with the country you originated from.
Sadly the proposed data sharing of the Irish PLF form to NI authorities (and vice versa) seems to have gone nowhere, despite the signing of an MoU between both public health authorities last year. I presume Brexit has scuppered it. As of a few weeks ago, media reported “discussions were still ongoing” but cited significant legal obstacles.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:48 am

Will May flights to Dubai go ahead?

Anyone here have any idea whether flights BA currently has on sale to Dubai in early May will actually go ahead? I may need to go for work so wanted to gage opinion.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by goonerflyer
Anyone here have any idea whether flights BA currently has on sale to Dubai in early May will actually go ahead? I may need to go for work so wanted to gage opinion.
My 2p's worth is that they won't happen. Without going into politics, the government has decided that overseas travel is dangerous and that UAE, South Africa, Brazil et al are supremely dangerous, so much so that hotel confinement is needed. I know we've had some incredible U-turns in the past year or so but I doubt that binning that policy, which Priti Patel is seemingly so fond of, will happen anytime soon.

If needs must, I'd buy a ticket with whichever airline that is serving Dubai today; or maybe a passage through Bahrain.
Fritz and DaveS like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:08 am

Emirates are operating direct outbound flights so if I had to go for work I'd book one of those (as late as possible!)

Getting back currently you need to take an indirect option so I'd book one of those nearer the time to avoid changing schedules/policies
Old May 21, 2021, 8:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Seems Simon Calder doesn’t expect the UAE to make Amber this year even though most people are vaccinated and cases quite low.

https://apple.news/A96mF8M0MTiu25nN5vsS7gg
Old May 22, 2021, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Neilgcal
Seems Simon Calder doesn’t expect the UAE to make Amber this year even though most people are vaccinated and cases quite low.

https://apple.news/A96mF8M0MTiu25nN5vsS7gg
Unless we're reading completely different answers, that isn't what Simon's answer is at all:

"Q: We are currently booked to travel to Dubai at the end of June, however we note that the UAE has so far remained on the red list due to being a travel hub. Is it likely that the UAE will become green before the end of June?

If this is unlikely then we are looking to change our booking to go to Malta instead on the same dates. This is currently amber however I have seen many are expecting it to go “green” soon. Is it likely that Malta will be added to the green list before the end of June?

A: I think the chances of the UAE switching from red list to green within the next 40 days look remote indeed. Although we haven’t seen any “live action” on the red, amber and green lists, I imagine that a country on the red list would only move to the amber list in a single bound – followed by a few weeks’ wait, minimum, before continuing to green.

Malta’s numbers suggest it should have been on the green list from day one, and I imagine it will be one of the first to be added at the review early next month"

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b1851742.html
Old May 22, 2021, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
And if the Twitter accounts of Mr Calder and Mr Charles are anything to go by, don't read anything into their predictions.
DYKWIA, mikeyfly, Pilot37 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.