Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current parking costs at Heathrow T5!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:22 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by KARFA
Wonder what the residents of Hounslow think of people using their area as free car park for LHR.
Ahmetdouas' recommendation was to use Hounslow West. I would take that to mean the Hounslow West Underground Station car park, not the streets.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by tjcxx
Ahmetdouas' recommendation was to use Hounslow West. I would take that to mean the Hounslow West Underground Station car park, not the streets.
Yes Hounslow is too dense it is permit parking as well so use the carpark there, but if you want to park for free go to Egham which is much more rural and very close to T5, there is no residents parking and you can in fact easily find a place to park that is not even in front of someone's house so you won't be annoying anyone. Royal Holloway is closed for summer break, so the streets are empty (its harder to find parking during term as many students just park on the street).

I was looking at parking in LHR in a few weeks, but it was ridiculous at like 150 GBP for 5 days so for me cheaper to uber there and back, but for people who live far, that is not an option.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
How cancellable are these sort of hotel + parking deals? We're sitting on a hopeful Budapest trip mid August, and don't have a problem booking hotels around it because most places offer cancels, but the parking is new to us (normally public transport).

Hungary is treating the UK as the sick country of Europe, with quarantine and rightfully so given the numbers. Just hoping something will change between then and now, but I do expect to cancel.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Hounslow West is the best option but if staying for a while then park on the street for free in Egham and it’s a 10 min/10 GBP Uber to T5 from there. It’s a reasonably safe area and unless you leave valuables in plain sight or have a Ferrari (they actually have a Ferrari dealer there so if you need a service just leave it there for free!) your car will be fine.
Frankly this is Penny Wise and Pound Foolish. When I owned a car in the UK, I would never leave it any street like that for any length of time. My car is worth considerably more than the dearest parking at any airport. My last car was a Sirocco and seeing the damage that was caused in supermarkets to my absolute fury, I would not leave it where it could be vandalised, damaged or stolen. I agree that the parking rates are scandalously high at Heathrow. One feels that one is buying the title to the land, let alone a space for one's car. Nevertheless leaving it in an unguarded place for any length of time is a totally false economy. Moreover I would not be surprised that people could call the police concerned that a stolen car had been dumped in the street.

Airport Parking is a license to print money, this we all know. Nantes which is one of my two local airports (Alicante is the main one) and the rates are wicked. I have long found that two one way rentals are far cheaper than leaving the car for any length of time in an airport car park. Alicante is the same although parking in Alicante did not require one to call one's Bank Manager for an overdraft to pay for it. We do the same in the UK since we own no car there now.

Public Transport to the airport is commendable yet from where we live it is neither possible not practicable. Nevertheless, I smile at the irony of how we do not hesitate at spending quite large sums of money on air fares and yet are prepared to nickle and dime something valuable like one's car.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:59 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Smid
How cancellable are these sort of hotel + parking deals? We're sitting on a hopeful Budapest trip mid August, and don't have a problem booking hotels around it because most places offer cancels, but the parking is new to us (normally public transport).

Hungary is treating the UK as the sick country of Europe, with quarantine and rightfully so given the numbers. Just hoping something will change between then and now, but I do expect to cancel.
The one I just booked with the HIX T5 that worked out at £1.80 per day (or £5.60 / day if you don't need the hotel night) is cancellable up to 24 hours before arrival.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Having parked in a side street recommended by my hotel in York a few months ago and returning next morning to see someone had kicked in both rear lights and done their best (evidenced by mud footprints) to kick the rear mirrors entirely off the car, I've similarly become more wary of "park on a side street for free". £350 to replace the lights clusters is not free (fortunately the thugs didn't break the LEDs, only the plastic lens bits, or we'd have been at "insurance claim" cost levels).

That's why I don't park in random side corners near airports on a regular basis or give my car keys to anyone (no "meet and greet").

Protip: don't park on the road leading to Knavesmere in York overnight unless your car is a piece of crap.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:25 am
BOH

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Moreover I would not be surprised that people could call the police concerned that a stolen car had been dumped in the street
If the car has not been reported as stolen and has a valid RFL exactly what will the police do in this circumstance?
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Egham is a safe area, your car is insured, and don't leave any valuables inside. Really can't see an issue. I park very often on the street to use public transport free or use airport parking. Obviously don't block someone's drive, but if you are in a low profile car then really what's the problem. If you do it regularly, avoid parking at the exact same spot as well, a bit of tactical evasion is all that is needed. I've had my car broken into parking for 20 mins in Knightsbridge, but left untouched all day and night long when parked next to a train station where it was obvious I was parking for free to not use the station parking!

I'd easily take the 'risk', and 150 GBP is not exactly nickel and diming!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:03 am
BOH

Mentioned on a previous thread but with T5 Long Term closed, simply use T2/3 LT parking and jump on the HEX to T5. It may add 20-30 minutes to the journey but well worth it. I did just this and paid £118 for 2 weeks at T2/3 LT (unbelievably cheap for LHR) 10 days ago and saved circa £150 over the T5 Short-Term price.

Only thing to remember is HEX frequency is now only every 30 minutes, not the normal 15.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by BOH
If the car has not been reported as stolen and has a valid RFL exactly what will the police do in this circumstance?
Nothing. If it is allowed to be there then there is no problem - a simple call will tell the residents that the car is not lost or stolen.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I'd easily take the 'risk', and 150 GBP is not exactly nickel and diming!
I really would not want to have all the hassle and fuss of coming home and finding the car damaged or gone. My car was worth considerably more than £150 and I just would not want to take the risk. Anyhow your car belongs to you and not to me. Whilst I agree that Parking at Heathrow is ridiculously expensive, it is trivial compared to the value of the car. You may consider Egham safe, but I would not park in any residential street with all the aggravation of " you're parked outside my house!" and being hemmed in as happened to someone I know. Whether it is legal or not is almost irrelevant, I prefer to stir up other hornets nests. Once you start parking outside other people's houses with their imagined right of location, matters get very personal very quickly. I simply would not do it.

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Jul 13, 2020 at 5:43 am
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:40 am
BOH

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Nothing. If it is allowed to be there then there is no problem - a simple call will tell the residents that the car is not lost or stolen.
Where I used to live 18 months ago there were a few cases of people leaving a car long-term (5+ days) in the road adjacent to mine. One resident used to be incensed at this and always call the Police after 2-3 days, pretty much demanding it to be removed as, "they do not live round here". We used to tell him the car owners were not committing any offence and could quite legitimately park there for as long as they liked as there were no restrictions. He would get more and more frustrated each time at the injustice of people parking in "our road" and "what do we pay our bloody taxes for if the Police won't do anything about it".

It used to cause him some very unnecessary stress over something he could do nothing about (which was probably what frustrated him so much) and he would not hear it from anyone else that he was stressing over something he had zero control over.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Where I used to live 18 months ago there were a few cases of people leaving a car long-term (5+ days) in the road adjacent to mine. One resident used to be incensed at this and always call the Police after 2-3 days, pretty much demanding it to be removed as, "they do not live round here". We used to tell him the car owners were not committing any offence and could quite legitimately park there for as long as they liked as there were no restrictions. He would get more and more frustrated each time at the injustice of people parking in "our road" and "what do we pay our bloody taxes for if the Police won't do anything about it".

It used to cause him some very unnecessary stress over something he could do nothing about (which was probably what frustrated him so much) and he would not hear it from anyone else that he was stressing over something he had zero control over.
They had no right to demand anything, and you were of course correct - however if my car was stolen and people notified the police that a car that apparently belonged to no one living there was parked there - I for one would be most grateful. Having had a car stolen and it being found about 4 miles away, I was most grateful.
BOH likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I thought a broomstick was far more your style Pooch.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Just to add, last week i was looking at amending my parking for Christmas (adding an extra day) and the only option showing was Short stay are ridiculous rates.

Today i checked again, and the POD parking is showing again, and it let me add another day for £3.40.. which i was impressed with, so it looks like they have penciled in some dates to reopen again.

Looking at the searches, the plan is to open POD and T5 long stay from the 1st September.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.