Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We will just have to wait and see about that.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 12:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
That was a response to someone yet again belittling the job that cabin crew do. I’m sure you realise that the job of a CSD or CSM, particularly when on a large jet with a lot of passengers and crew, is a managing role.

I don’t want anyone to have a pay cut forced on them during this pandemic. I do have Managers who are friends and I don’t want any of them to lose their jobs or take a pay cut.

I realise that restructuring and redundancies are going to be needed. I wish this had all been handled a little more carefully and thoughtfully at the start. I can see that BA now is responding to staff concerns about taking large pay cuts and hopefully the unions will start to engage.
I think the point being made was a wider view.. Ł50k+ in any role is a good salary. I don’t work in the travel sector any more (ex Thomas Cook and ex-Sky) and manage 22 people, and don’t earn that kinda of money for a 35hr week. In a previous role I managed 7 Managers and was responsible for around 110 of their teams and wasn’t on that money either.

i have just this year been through a Dismiss & Recontract T’s & C’s Harmonisation process so know what’s involved, and I fully get the need for what BA is trying to achieve. Through consultation it’s fair to say that there will be compromises on all sides. But what I do hear is grievance more from those earning more, than those earning less, which could be understandable... to a degree.

My last thought is..If every employee of BA who was proud to work for them looked at the bigger picture, recognised the significant fight for survival, and accepted that no-one goes to work hell bent on enjoying making tough decisions and upsetting people, then the airline might just make it. It seems to me that legacy staff are just trying to hold onto what they know is just not as viable as it was, and that times are changing. If not happy, okay, that’s heard. But don’t stay with a company you feel doesn’t treat you well. Go elsewhere. Go find a job that pays similar salary and bonuses/top ups elsewhere (that won’t be easy).

The more infighting, the less attractive to the paying public the airline will become. Customers are not interested in how much employees are paid, we just want a great service. We pick up on bad vibes, resentment and disengagement, and this manifests itself through the service delivered. That’s what will stop the recovery, not the way crews are organised and remunerated.
SpeedbirdLHR and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Can I help you
You can forget any of the proposals they are dead in the water.
i expect they’ll be slightly improved. Not sure what the term Dead in the water means - maybe theyre considered too poor for BA to get enough acceptance?

The union doesn’t have to agree to the proposals for them to be implemented. Consultation does not mean agreement is needed.

The unions are unlikely to recommend any proposal here due to the sensitive and massive nature of the situation. They normally sit on the fence with anything remotely controversial. BA wont waste time on trying to get anything the union will recommend as they know any ultimate ballot will just take time and not really mean anything.

They have already made significant changes to improve the public perspective on these changes
1) they aren’t sacking everyone and hiring them back (although it may feel like that)
2) they have introduced a VR element
3) they have slightly increased the package on offer
4) the have introduced a basic pay protection guarantee (which is hit but sounds good to the press)

i think the legacy fleets Are ok about flying together and working to the same agreements. I think though there are a large band of them who will only ever be happy with temporary changes to their current payment terms, to which they should be returned in 3/4 years time when performance recovers.

BA aren’t going to do a U turn, but I expect they’ll give something. The new agreement will be nearer to what’s on the table now though than something completely different.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 3:54 am

A P Yu and degsy328 - I suspect your comments won’t be taken particularly well by some here! But you do make some reasonable points.

Trouble is everyone enjoys a good BA bash. There are lots of people who are understandably upset and feel “betrayed” constantly by BA, particularly legacy fleets. They’ve also got the backing of the Union too who are only further increasing that anti-BA sentiment rather than actually trying to make this situation any better. Like others have said, life is short and if a job or a company is no longer good for you and if it is indeed so so so terrible and stabbing you in the back, then you need to move on. There’s no point staying in somewhere where you feel not welcome and that you’re being betrayed at every step. With the right attitude and determination you will find something else and pay will automatically catch up as long as you progress and prove your skills elsewhere. Of course I’m not saying that can be achieved now during the pandemic in the short term, but clearly the anti-BA sentiment from Unions (and their members) isn’t “new” and has only got worse since 2010.

Having said that, this is a difficult scenario and ultimately even without negotiation BA have softened their stance and not followed through with any of the threats laid out in their initial S188. I think it is imperative that compromises are made. A single LHR fleet makes business sense and operational sense and there does need to be compromises on all sides and judging by the way BA have behaved, it is clear there is room and they are willing to make those compromises.

Contrast this to BALPA, who have been negotiating from day 1 and they are imminently reaching a deal with BA with half of the redundancy numbers than BA first announced in their S188 to them and they’ve agreed to a pay cut. There is maturity and reality in their approach. I just hope finally come Monday Unite realise this and work towards a good compromise. I sincerely hope their ploy isn’t just to “talk” but with no intention of actually getting a genuine deal and only to “kick can down the road” to enable industrial action later...
Old Jun 28, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Pilots

Just saw this on Bloomberg, The Sun was the original source....

"British Airways, a unit of International Consolidated Airlines Group, will cut 350 pilots and put another 300 in a “pool” for re-hire when needed as part of a deal reached with cockpit crew, The Sun reported.

Most of the pilots facing compulsory redundancies worked from Gatwick airport in London, according to the report, which didn’t say where the information came from. Captains and first officers who are placed in the pool don’t currently have an aircraft to work on and will remain on half-pay, while all other operating flight crew will take a 15% pay cut for now, it said."

Can't decide if 50% of pay to sit around and wait to be called is a good or bad deal really.....
Old Jun 28, 2020, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Just saw this on Bloomberg, The Sun was the original source....

"British Airways, a unit of International Consolidated Airlines Group, will cut 350 pilots and put another 300 in a “pool” for re-hire when needed as part of a deal reached with cockpit crew, The Sun reported.

Most of the pilots facing compulsory redundancies worked from Gatwick airport in London, according to the report, which didn’t say where the information came from. Captains and first officers who are placed in the pool don’t currently have an aircraft to work on and will remain on half-pay, while all other operating flight crew will take a 15% pay cut for now, it said."

Can't decide if 50% of pay to sit around and wait to be called is a good or bad deal really.....
This is a rumour from WhatsApp that BALPA has told pilots to ignore
flygirl68, KARFA and tuonopepper like this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by AirbusA350
A P Yu and degsy328 - I suspect your comments won’t be taken particularly well by some here! But you do make some reasonable points.

Trouble is everyone enjoys a good BA bash. There are lots of people who are understandably upset and feel “betrayed” constantly by BA, particularly legacy fleets. They’ve also got the backing of the Union too who are only further increasing that anti-BA sentiment rather than actually trying to make this situation any better. Like others have said, life is short and if a job or a company is no longer good for you and if it is indeed so so so terrible and stabbing you in the back, then you need to move on. There’s no point staying in somewhere where you feel not welcome and that you’re being betrayed at every step. With the right attitude and determination you will find something else and pay will automatically catch up as long as you progress and prove your skills elsewhere. Of course I’m not saying that can be achieved now during the pandemic in the short term, but clearly the anti-BA sentiment from Unions (and their members) isn’t “new” and has only got worse since 2010.

Having said that, this is a difficult scenario and ultimately even without negotiation BA have softened their stance and not followed through with any of the threats laid out in their initial S188. I think it is imperative that compromises are made. A single LHR fleet makes business sense and operational sense and there does need to be compromises on all sides and judging by the way BA have behaved, it is clear there is room and they are willing to make those compromises.

Contrast this to BALPA, who have been negotiating from day 1 and they are imminently reaching a deal with BA with half of the redundancy numbers than BA first announced in their S188 to them and they’ve agreed to a pay cut. There is maturity and reality in their approach. I just hope finally come Monday Unite realise this and work towards a good compromise. I sincerely hope their ploy isn’t just to “talk” but with no intention of actually getting a genuine deal and only to “kick can down the road” to enable industrial action later...
Glad to here Pilots are nearing agreement. Are you able to confirm if the pay cuts you mention are permanent or subject to review in latter months/years. Also any idea of % of pay cut?
I am sure BALPA and UNITE are talking? So assume UNITE will look for similar deal?
Old Jun 28, 2020, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by OhLordy
Glad to here Pilots are nearing agreement. Are you able to confirm if the pay cuts you mention are permanent or subject to review in latter months/years. Also any idea of % of pay cut?
I am sure BALPA and UNITE are talking? So assume UNITE will look for similar deal?
As I stated this is a wholly unsubstantiated rumour that BALPA have told pilots to ignore, no-one can confirm or deny anything.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
As I stated this is a wholly unsubstantiated rumour that BALPA have told pilots to ignore, no-one can confirm or deny anything.
Well it was originally reported in The Sun, not really known for their investigative journalism 😂😂
Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
The CAA have given dispensation for BA cabin crew to do their annual refresher and exams online while Covid19 is an issue.

While on furlough we are allowed to do essential training or exams and so crew are rostered to do this learning while furloughed to keep us in check.
Just to confirm to you that the SEP refresher is a two part course, the first part is done at home online and called day 1 and normally rostered in advance of the second part which will be done in the Training Centre and will be rostered for you to attend and can also be done while you are on furlough as it is classed essential training.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
So long as BA don’t impose the redundancy for all they will have done enough to stop the noise from Westminster, now they have offered to protect the basic too so that also helps shut that down.

The union has to protect jobs, they can do more of that by accepting more cuts, but will that be acceptable to the legacy staff?

negotiations will no doubt start from their current position of Ts and Cs, but than can be a quick review of each component with the full cost of each explained, with the unions then asked to come up with other savings and given a day or so to come up with that.

after a couple of weeks a meaningless ballot will be issued and shortly after BA will offer their new contracts.

1) a VR scheme will have been offered, with the terms possibly slightly increased (and offered to MF crew for fairness)
2) they won’t have sacked Everyone (I think they regret that threat now)
3) the selection process used will have been agreed with the union (the union accept redundancies are inevitable)
4) the basic pay protection offer is a good enough headline to get ITV off the case
5) the number of jobs lost will be less than planned so both sides can pat themselves on the back
6) they may use the “pool” idea too to make the headline Job losses seem more palatable too
Old Jun 28, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
It seems Unite have been talking to city analysts to try to peruse them that BA don't need to make such large cuts. But it doesn't sounds like it went very well for them:

This is Money: 'Delusional' unions could destroy BA, analysts warn.
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...ysts-warn.html
revorgap and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
You're not meant to be working (full stop) while furloughed. If you're keeping up with essential training and exams while furloughed, your employer is in breech of their requirement as an employer taking advantage of the furlough scheme.
Not correct. Training is allowed.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I did think this would happen. I guess it’s better for the crew as they don’t have to stay in foreign hotels which could increase their chances of getting COVID-19. It also cuts considerable costs though by not having to pay for meals and hotel rooms.

I wonder if they will try and cut back nightstops in the longer term too.
I doubt it... if they did that, with LHR curfew, the last flight to anywhere 2h+ away would be around 5pm... and first flights into LHR would not arrive until 11am...
Old Jun 28, 2020, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by elwe
It seems Unite have been talking to city analysts to try to peruse them that BA don't need to make such large cuts. But it doesn't sounds like it went very well for them:

This is Money: 'Delusional' unions could destroy BA, analysts warn.
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...ysts-warn.html
Literally I don’t know what Unite expected city analysts to say: “Oh no BA are terrible for trying to cost cut and speed up return to profit for us investors, we support Unite completely for their non-engagement and attempt to destroy it in their endeavour to “protect” certain groups of staff” 🙄

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.