Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
There is a rally going on in Brighton today with MP Huw Merriman attending.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
There is a rally going on in Brighton today with MP Huw Merriman attending.
https://youtu.be/owbpyxVI6mU
I always find it interesting when a politician (Huw in this case) says the cuts are too deep - does he have access to the finances of BA or more info that BA management don't have?
Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
I don’t know but he is very passionate about it as he has lots of constituents working at Gatwick I believe.

There is a video of his whole speech to the crowd and he is very angry with WW. It isn’t on YouTube yet, so I can share it.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I do hope that BA staff returning to work are more sensitive than someone driving through High Wycombe towards the motorway in their BA uniform.

In their very smart, expensive looking Alfa Romeo they had a poster up saying "BA - stop betraying Britain".

Alfa Romeo are owned by non-Bits, and made outside Britain.

Google says it is a BASSA slogan from bassa-co-uk.

Clearly, BASSA/Unite do not understand Irony.

It is UK law that is not helping BA staff. Someone buying an Alfa is betraying Britain, IMHO.
To be fair there's not really much of a British car industry left, sure some stuff is made here but they're still not British companies. A Mclaren isn't practical for everyone, lol
Old Jul 3, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by 13901
I personally find that "Britain Betrayal" horrid. I say it as a European immigrant with a fairly thick skin and very little "snowflakeness": some of the messages felt taken from Katie Hopkins' column. Forgetting that BA is made of a lot of non-British employees and carries a clientele that is only 50-60% British. I understand the point, I understand some of the logic, and I wholeheartedly support a lot of the employees' stance vs Alex but a lot of the campaign's undertones (BA being ripped off by IAG, which as always is defined as a Spanish company although all it has in Spain is a plaque in an empty villa at La Munoza, BA being milked but not Vueling or Iberia or Aer Lingus) didn't sit right with me.

Having said that, and on a more facetious note, kudos for that BA employee to be driving an Alfa. Better to be overtaken by a lovely Giulia than being tailgated, 5 inches from one's bumper, by the umpteenth grey Audi.
To be honest I'd say the Betraying Britain moniker is more relevant to their total lack of interest in the regions, hence the badge London Airways you here from time to time.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
Saw a strange video on YouTube today. It was investigating whether BA was closing down and stopping operations.

The doubt came from Unite’s ‘Thank you and Goodbye’ video. To be fair to non English speakers, it did give the impression it was the end of BA.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA
Unite are still peddling the line about BA having to hand back slots, I still can't work out how BA handing back slots helps anyone. For every slot lost BA then need fewer aircraft and then fewer staff. I get that with 12,000 people possibly losing jobs BA will be smaller but I am sure somehow it will manage to keep most of their slots, especially at Heathrow.
DelTroon and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by The Ginge
Unite are still peddling the line about BA having to hand back slots, I still can't work out how BA handing back slots helps anyone. For every slot lost BA then need fewer aircraft and then fewer staff. I get that with 12,000 people possibly losing jobs BA will be smaller but I am sure somehow it will manage to keep most of their slots, especially at Heathrow.
i think it's a case of "cut your nose off to spite your face".

Taking slots off anyone would set a dangerous precedent. How many of the other 50% of slots at Heathrow are 'legacy' slots vs. paid for? If Virgin are taking too long to pay back refunds to customers should they have their slots taken away? If the UK government has a disagreement with Qatar (the country) should they have their slots taken away?
Agent69 and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by The Ginge
Originally Posted by jonas123
i think it's a case of "cut your nose off to spite your face".

Taking slots off anyone would set a dangerous precedent. How many of the other 50% of slots at Heathrow are 'legacy' slots vs. paid for? If Virgin are taking too long to pay back refunds to customers should they have their slots taken away? If the UK government has a disagreement with Qatar (the country) should they have their slots taken away?
The ugly truth is that if BA suddenly said all legacy contracts will remain and the 3 fleet structure will remain then Unite will magically wind all this up overnight and suddenly then say “due to the hard work of our representatives and our excellent campaign we managed to coerce BA into a fair deal”! I know there will be the few that will of course say “this isn’t just about cabin crew” and “I don’t know why everyone just has a thing against legacy crew”, I think the Union themselves and their entire “strategy” and comms are to blame for exacerbating that! Anyway, I hear that meetings have happened and more to come, hopefully finally they reach a solution with BA for the sake of all employees true mental welfare and lives!
Old Jul 5, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Tim Clark is in The Times today, and suggests that Aviation will be back to its 6 or 7 % per annum global growth rate in a couple of years.

I remember back, after 9/11, some Senior Economist (maybe from UK CAA?) pointing out that each time there is a crisis in Aviation, lots of people say, "This time it is/will be different".

And of course, the 6 or 7 % p.a. growth rate resumes. Where that growth takes place is currently unknown, but Asia will be above the norm, and Europe below the norm.

So, two years of getting back to whatever normal is, then we'll start seeing the posts about "where will we get the pilots from?"

(I do realise that Economists only exist to make crystal ball gazing legitimate.)
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Yahoo Finance & Telegraph - Possible changes to Furlough scheme

Employers may be forced to return cash to taxpayer as Sunak redefines furlough

UK employers planning mass redundancies after receiving furlough support from the government may have to pay back the money to taxpayers.

The Treasury has reworded the purpose of its coronavirus job retention scheme, according to a report in The Telegraph.

The criteria for furlough, which allows firms to claim 80% of employee wages, now states it is “integral” the money be “used by the employer to continue the employment of employees.”

It could prevent firms from laying off large swathes of the UK’s 9.3 million workforce that are currently on furlough.

Tory MP Huw Merriman, who branded British Airways’ decision to make thousands of furloughed staff redundant a “national disgrace,” will table an urgent question, asking the Treasury to clarify the changes.

A report by the transport select committee, which Merriman chairs, called the move a “calculated attempt to take advantage of the pandemic to cut jobs and weaken the terms and conditions of its remaining employees.”
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:19 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Huw merrimen and Peter Kyle sadly can’t do anything other than raise the profile of this campaign and tell them off for being naughty boys.

their interventions so far have resulted in some improvements to the offer, but it’s hard to see what else they can achieve. Whilst the removal of slots is a significant threat, it’s a pretty empty one as the government don’t have that power and I doubt they would change the law to try and get it as the government has more important things to do right now.

The union need to do their job here and achieve the best they can.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:41 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
BA has used the Money to continue peoples employment otherwise the jobs would have gone already. If that’s the only wording change I wouldn’t be too worried. It doesn’t suggest a requirement to keep the employment for x months beyond etc.
revorgap likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

If this ends up being correct and BA has to pay back the furlough money, they will probably just cut more jobs to cover it - another fantastic victory for our wonderous Unions. Time to push forward with the slot issue and make even more redundant.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:31 am
Kwi

Programs: BAEC - Blue AND Chief Taster for Walkers Crisps

This has been denied by BEIS. just clickbait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.