Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2020, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Can doesn't mean you must. There is no obligation to do so. Nor can employers set this as an expectation.
​​​​​
Guess then you will be happy to fly knowing that a pilot who has been off for a few months spent zero simulator time where available before taking a plane up given even pilots can forget things. Same for cabin crew should there be an emergency and a crew member because they did not do the responsible thing and take a quick online refresher where available .

Sure different contracts have different requirements but like peoples attitude to the pandemic it all comes down to having a sense of responsibility for self and others,the latter obviously being the number one priority for AIr crew.
allturnleft likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by 510518
Guess then you will be happy to fly knowing that a pilot who has been off for a few months spent zero simulator time where available before taking a plane up given even pilots can forget things. Same for cabin crew should there be an emergency and a crew member because they did not do the responsible thing and take a quick online refresher where available .

Sure different contracts have different requirements but like peoples attitude to the pandemic it all comes down to having a sense of responsibility for self and others,the latter obviously being the number one priority for AIr crew.
I'll be happier knowing they've completed the mandated refresher training, not a dumbed down dispensated version on a iPad because there's a rush to get flying again. That's when accidents happen.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 4:00 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
You're not meant to be working (full stop) while furloughed. If you're keeping up with essential training and exams while furloughed, your employer is in breech of their requirement as an employer taking advantage of the furlough scheme.
well you are incorrect. Best to read the legislation before commenting.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by 510518

Pilots are not furloughed and as far as I know, they are still using the simulators.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 4:10 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, I think we have established beyond any sort of doubt that BA is not breaking the law in requiring furloughed employees to train. Perhaps we might therefore move on to something a little more relevant in terms of staff coming out of the scheme anyway and returning to work?

/mod
1Aturnleft, Wickersley and 86BA7 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Talks to start between BA and Unite on Monday, starting point all our current terms and conditions.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Littlegirl, you have made some very good, balanced points and it’s lovely to read especially given the difficult and anxious situation all staff (which includes my partner) are in.

Whilst clearly it is a shame that some cannot simply see themselves working together with other fleets, there are also many that would love to have that mix. As others have said there are already many different contracts and pay scales within WW/EF and things seem to be ok. I don’t see that changing or creating any animosity going forward.

It’s not untrue to say that managers in Waterside who oversee crew fleet management may indeed be on lesser salaries than some legacy fleet main crews, for example, IBMs. There don’t seem to be any issues of authority there when it comes to them needing to exercise their management duties over somebody higher paid than them!

Ultimately once all this has passed, with time, I do believe a single fleet Heathrow will be a very cohesive unit and in fact could be a great customer service boost. The ones that hate the company, and have hated the job anyway for years but stayed because it was comfortable, will have left with VR, so what remains then is ex-MF who are happy at a pay rise and grateful for having kept their job, secondly you’ll then have ex-legacy crews that will actually maybe enjoy the challenge of the new job and a new broader team as well as routes. Yes there’s a pay cut but by then the one’s who stay will have (and should have) gradually made adjustments to their life to cope with the reduction.

That’s just my view. I’m sure some would vehemently like to say otherwise just because it mildly promotes BA’s idea of single LHR fleet and supporting anything BA even if it makes operational/logical sense is criminal on here or it must be because of some moles with a hidden agenda of changing the airline slyly through FlyerTalk!

Good luck to all. Clearly there is some positivity amongst this compared to the position this was in say at the beginning of the month. Just hope the Unions actually do something beneficial for their employees’ true interest rather than their own. Shame a lot of staff still can’t see that and still believe BA is hoodwinking them in every possible way and that the Unions are doing a wonderful job! In fact I wouldn’t be in the slightest bit surprised if Unite soon start taking full credit (if they haven’t already!) for any softening BA has done and attributed it to a result of their “strong leverage” campaign and projectors around the country whilst not engaging at any point! Contrary it’d be interesting to see their response if their campaign succeeded in making BA forego slots and ultimately that lead to another 1000 jobs added to the tally of redundancies...
Just want to caution you that some Mixed Fleet CSMs are not completely happy with the new offering as it removes the management style bonuses the high performers get and the flight pay being included in the basic pay is not to all their liking. Just so you are aware that it isn’t the case that all M/F are pleased with all the changes.

Anyway, some national negotiation is going to take place but really we need the local negotiation to happen but hopefully that will follow soon.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can forget any of the proposals they are dead in the water.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
You can forget any of the proposals they are dead in the water.
that seems like a productive approach to negotiations!
Old Jun 27, 2020, 5:31 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by jonas123
that seems like a productive approach to negotiations!
It wouldn't be a negotiation if they accepted the first thing on the table.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Talks to start between BA and Unite on Monday, starting point all our current terms and conditions.
and presumably no redundancies?
Old Jun 27, 2020, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we know that there needs to be redundancies and there will be plenty of people happy to take them.
cbagent likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 6:37 am

I think we know that there needs to be redundancies and there will be plenty of people happy to take them.
Agreed.

I also think this whole thing around people on different pay being unable to work together is utter rubbish.

Some people in BA tend to be very sheltered to some of the realities of the outside world (not aimed at anyone here), particularly those on newer contracts. I’ve worked in a number of companies where pay is largely irrelevant. At my previous employer, I managed colleagues with a significantly higher take home pay than me.

Was it an issue? No.

Did I resent them for it? No, they’d earnt their level of pay.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 7:23 am

Good to hear that there will be engagement finally...but the cynic in me just sees this being further long dragged out anxiety for many employees, particularly ones that want to stay and enjoy it, rather than being there because nowhere else will pay similar. Ultimately dragged along by Unite so that surprise surprise it’s industrial action again. Not in anyone’s interests there at all...hopefully I will be wrong and a mutually beneficial deal will be thrashed out!
Old Jun 27, 2020, 7:30 am

Just hope people do not confuse Voluntary Severance with Redundancy when it comes to what is offered in monetary terms.
BA can demonstrate quite easily that redundancies are required and are not required to offer more than statutory but, being BA, they will enhance but not to the level that some expect - a la past Voluntary Severance schemes. If people in the past have requested VS figures, and know their worth as it were, they will naturally expect a similar figure offered for redundancy but IMHO they will be very disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.