Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Andriyko
So, on the one hand, you don't want people to say what cabin crew should or should not earn, but on the other you turn around the very next second and say exactly what you don't want to hear about someone else. I hope you can see where other people are coming from based on your own reaction to someone else's pay or responsibilities attached to a job.
That was a response to someone yet again belittling the job that cabin crew do. I’m sure you realise that the job of a CSD or CSM, particularly when on a large jet with a lot of passengers and crew, is a managing role.

I don’t want anyone to have a pay cut forced on them during this pandemic. I do have Managers who are friends and I don’t want any of them to lose their jobs or take a pay cut.

I realise that restructuring and redundancies are going to be needed. I wish this had all been handled a little more carefully and thoughtfully at the start. I can see that BA now is responding to staff concerns about taking large pay cuts and hopefully the unions will start to engage.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
That was a response to someone yet again belittling the job that cabin crew do. I’m sure you realise that the job of a CSD or CSM, particularly when on a large jet with a lot of passengers and crew, is a managing role.
I said nothing about the role of a senior cabin crew member. I have nothing but love for all cabin crew - as a passenger, they are a big part of what makes me love and choose a particular airline. I just pointed out that you were talking about someone else's job and how they do not do enough for the money they get, and yet you don't like it when people say the same things about cabin crew.

As far as salary cuts a concerned - one was forced upon me because of the changes in business due to the Covid crisis. I accepted it as a necessity. Of course, it does not mean that other people should feel the same way.

Last edited by Andriyko; Jun 26, 2020 at 4:42 am
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I predict that BA will not merge all fleets but just merge EF and WW, it would be madness having ex WW and EF crew on more money than ex MF CSMs managing them, BA have made a huge cockup with their response to cutting costs and every move they make they are making it worse.
SW7London and flygirl68 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Saladman
Does that mean that there will be Mixed Fleet crews working alongside legacy crews on the plane, who are on more lucrative contracts than the other? Seems odd and a recipe for antagonism between crews.

I’m sure I read here that only WW and EF were being offered Voluntary Redundancy and not Mixed Fleet. Not sure if that is still the case.

And yet Mixed Fleet were still just as likely to lose their jobs as anyone else, (without the cushion of VR) in the restructuring?

Either BA or the unions (or both) must really hate Mixed Fleet, they don’t seem to have a huge amount of respect for them.
well we've managed to cope on EuroFleet for donkey's years with crew on pre 1997 contracts and post 1997 contracts and for the last 8 years ex-bmi contracts. We don't seem to come to blows over pay.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The ever-wonderful BA "management" team have done it again.
We already know about their wondrous success in managing IT.
We already know about their brilliance in catering "enhancements"
Then we have their wine choices, - such as £5 bottles in F.

Now we have their management skills with staff. Such superlative motivational skills!

By the way, if anyone is interested in salary comparisons, go look at the NHS salaries. I would generously estimate a regualar CC member to be band 3 or 4.

A CSD would be band 6, or possibly, but unlikely, due to mandatory qualifications, band 7.
SW7London and ermis177 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:20 am

Part of the problem with all this is that the initial S188 letter should never have been leaked. It should have kicked off a consultation process which would have got to a point like the latest proposal behind closed doors. Instead, we've got to that point, but with the Union dragging BA through the mud and losing a lot of goodwill from staff and customers alike, and even with the government.

I still think Unite should have just negotiated and if they weren't successful, then they could have then gone public.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:37 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I said nothing about the role of a senior cabin crew member. I have nothing but love for all cabin crew - as a passenger, they are a big part of what makes me love and choose a particular airline. I just pointed out that you were talking about someone else's job and how they do not do enough for the money they get, and yet you don't like it when people say the same things about cabin crew.

As far as salary cuts a concerned - one was forced upon me because of the changes in business due to the Covid crisis. I accepted it as a necessity. Of course, it does not mean that other people should feel the same way.
Yes, I realise that. My comments were in response to someone else’s post!
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I predict that BA will not merge all fleets but just merge EF and WW, it would be madness having ex WW and EF crew on more money than ex MF CSMs managing them, BA have made a huge cockup with their response to cutting costs and every move they make they are making it worse.
I predict that they will merge all the fleets. Ultimately a lot of older WW and EF will take VR.
Waterhorse likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:47 am

I predict that they will merge all the fleets. Ultimately a lot of older WW and EF will take VR.
Sadly, given the current management, I suspect this is exactly what will happen. There are just far too many efficiencies in having a single fleet working to single agreement. The different pay thing is a red herring, as has already been mentioned, there are a multiplicity of different pay structures in place already, and everyone rubs along just fine.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:48 am

Not sure if all of you are aware but there are mixed crews flying together already.

Those who are currently not furloughed, had to agree to work together. So if on standby, you can be called to work with any fleet.

So a E/F Purser, called off standby, could be working with a M/F crew and for instance a M/F CSM, could be called out to take out a Worldwide crew or a Worldwide main crew could get called off standby to work on a Mixed Fleet flight etc.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn’t that only for repatriation flights Littlegirl?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Sadly, given the current management, I suspect this is exactly what will happen. There are just far too many efficiencies in having a single fleet working to single agreement. The different pay thing is a red herring, as has already been mentioned, there are a multiplicity of different pay structures in place already, and everyone rubs along just fine.
I personally feel that the ‘soft landing’ has a little more room for improvement that is probably being held back for the union to negotiate (once the finally do). I suspect the first couple of years may be on current salary or nearer levels to enable legacy crew to transition more easily.

For a lot of staff Mixed Flying won’t be what they want to do but I do think that some legacy crew will apply to stay on the new contract. I
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Isn’t that only for repatriation flights Littlegirl?
No, initially it was but then they asked for staff to re-agree and when agreeing to be a volunteer to work, you had to agree if on standby you could be used to work with any fleet.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, initially it was but then they asked for staff to re-agree and when agreeing to be a volunteer to work, you had to agree if on standby you could be used to work with any fleet.
No wonder I wasn’t interested then.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:04 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by jonas123
Part of the problem with all this is that the initial S188 letter should never have been leaked. It should have kicked off a consultation process which would have got to a point like the latest proposal behind closed doors. Instead, we've got to that point, but with the Union dragging BA through the mud and losing a lot of goodwill from staff and customers alike, and even with the government.

I still think Unite should have just negotiated and if they weren't successful, then they could have then gone public.
Shortsighted management brought it upon itself by wanting to play hardball from day one. It really can't complain when it then gets hardball in return.
flygirl68 and Littlegirl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.