Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by islandadventurer
Don't forget basic pay isn't everything. The allowances changes may add up to more than a 20% cut - not sure. But also a single fleet operating mixed flying on a MF style scheduling rules will bring productivity improvements meaning less crew needed overall (vs 3 fleets) and the single fleet will bring back office simplicity.

Yup still a single fleet with all the other changes.
Sure... but based on the numbers I’ve seen, BA is proposing that a main crew moves from a £31k basic to a £25k base pay instead of a previously proposed £17k (which remains for all MF crews). BA has effectively given up £8k/crew, almost half of the saving they wanted to make on legacy main crews. If they were so desperate, if it’s do-or-die, then to give up so much without even having sat with the TUs is telling.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
They haven’t a hope in hell of this being satisfactory, when Unite sit down with BA we will then see what the proposal is.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
I imagine that there may still be room for movement for when Unite meet with IFCE.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Room, there is a mile.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by andyh1877
i wonder if more staff will be back in the call centre
got my forward travel voucher but cant use it as nobody is answering my call keep getting the " sorry we cant answer your call right now please call back later "
do they realize that some of us are still working full time and cant sit trying to call all day ?
there should be a online option to use your ftv
You do realise that two contact centres were closed? India and South Africa were both closed because of their respective countries lockdown. Not to mention that call volumes were unprecedented even when they were open because of the current situation.

No UK contact centre staff were furloughed at all.

Last edited by Anonba; Jun 25, 2020 at 3:06 pm
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Anonba
You do realise that two contact centres were closed? India and South Africa were both closed because of their respective countries lockdown. Not to mention that call volumes were unprecedented even when they were open because of the current situation.

No UK contact centre staff were furloughed at all.
BA lost 80% of call centre staff during a 90%+ reduction in flying. There are no plans that cover both of those situations. There continue to be confirmed cases in overseas centres leading to ongoing closures.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Room, there is a mile.
I hope for the best for everyone but the figures released for 80% pay protection still leaves many crew higher paid than many across the business. And I'm not talking mixed fleet or apprentices, but if the £56k basic example is to believed there are many managers who would love to be on that salary.

Last edited by T5ops; Jun 25, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by BAWatson
I hope for the best for everyone but the figures released for 80% pay protection still leaves many crew higher paid than many across the business. And I'm not taking mixed fleet or apprentices, but if the £56k basic example is to believed there are many managers who would love to be on that salary.
Believe it or not, but CSDs are managers, they manage up to 20 cabin crew and hundreds of passengers in a confined environment.

I really do find comments like this pretty odd. Why do so many of you want to lower another persons wage!

BA is rammed full of so called managers that don’t do as much managing as a CSD or CSM does. They literally spend the whole flight managing and trouble shooting issues.
flygirl68 and Will100 like this.

Last edited by Littlegirl; Jun 25, 2020 at 5:45 pm
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Believe it or not, but CSDs are managers, they manage up to 20 cabin crew and hundreds of passengers in a confined environment
So do you think that ex-CSDs should remain on £56k basic ex-CSMs get £32 overall?

Do you think the managers who have teams of crew should be paid at least £56k plus allowances? If you do, then sadly you are wrong because pay is nothing like that.

Edit to add: I'm not in favour of lowering people's wages. My point was that there are many SCCMs at BA that don't earn the same wages, and there are many of the management team that are paid less. £56k is a great salary to be on no matter what you do.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 6:29 pm

So do you think that ex-CSDs should remain on £56k basic ex-CSMs get £32 overall?

Do you think the managers who have teams of crew should be paid at least £56k plus allowances? If you do, then sadly you are wrong because pay is nothing like that.

Edit to add: I'm not in favour of lowering people's wages. My point was that there are many SCCMs at BA that don't earn the same wages, and there are many of the management team that are paid less. £56k is a great salary to be on no matter what you do.
I don’t believe reducing the wages of staff currently employed is a good thing to do, no.

Ultimately the wages will even out as older contract staff leave or retire.
Can I help you and flygirl68 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
They are not going to be nightstopping crew in Europe for a considerable length of time, so those flights where the crew get off and nightstop and another crew takes the flight back, either straight away or the following morning, are likely to be cancelled, leaving the operating sectors being the ones already operated as a there and back service with the one crew.
I did think this would happen. I guess it’s better for the crew as they don’t have to stay in foreign hotels which could increase their chances of getting COVID-19. It also cuts considerable costs though by not having to pay for meals and hotel rooms.

I wonder if they will try and cut back nightstops in the longer term too. Aer Lingus don’t have any European nightstops I believe.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
BA have unveiled a ‘soft landing’ for EF and WW crew.

Basically it is 80% of your current basic salary until the pay of the new roles catch up.

This is subject to consultation.
Does that mean that there will be Mixed Fleet crews working alongside legacy crews on the plane, who are on more lucrative contracts than the other? Seems odd and a recipe for antagonism between crews.

I’m sure I read here that only WW and EF were being offered Voluntary Redundancy and not Mixed Fleet. Not sure if that is still the case.

And yet Mixed Fleet were still just as likely to lose their jobs as anyone else, (without the cushion of VR) in the restructuring?

Either BA or the unions (or both) must really hate Mixed Fleet, they don’t seem to have a huge amount of respect for them.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Saladman
Either BA or the unions (or both) must really hate Mixed Fleet, they don’t seem to have a huge amount of respect for them.
From where I sit as an outside observer it doesn't appear that BA shows any of its staff the respect they deserve.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 12:13 am

BA lost 80% of call centre staff during a 90%+ reduction in flying. There are no plans that cover both of those situations. There continue to be confirmed cases in overseas centres leading to ongoing closures.
Where exactly do you get the 80% figure from??

There are still Newcastle,Manchester and Bremen that are open, Capetown and Delhi are the contact centres that are closed.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
BA is rammed full of so called managers that don’t do as much managing as a CSD or CSM does.
So, on the one hand, you don't want people to say what cabin crew should or should not earn, but on the other you turn around the very next second and say exactly what you don't want to hear about someone else. I hope you can see where other people are coming from based on your own reaction to someone else's pay or responsibilities attached to a job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.