FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]
Old Jun 28, 2020, 3:54 am
AirbusA350

A P Yu and degsy328 - I suspect your comments won’t be taken particularly well by some here! But you do make some reasonable points.

Trouble is everyone enjoys a good BA bash. There are lots of people who are understandably upset and feel “betrayed” constantly by BA, particularly legacy fleets. They’ve also got the backing of the Union too who are only further increasing that anti-BA sentiment rather than actually trying to make this situation any better. Like others have said, life is short and if a job or a company is no longer good for you and if it is indeed so so so terrible and stabbing you in the back, then you need to move on. There’s no point staying in somewhere where you feel not welcome and that you’re being betrayed at every step. With the right attitude and determination you will find something else and pay will automatically catch up as long as you progress and prove your skills elsewhere. Of course I’m not saying that can be achieved now during the pandemic in the short term, but clearly the anti-BA sentiment from Unions (and their members) isn’t “new” and has only got worse since 2010.

Having said that, this is a difficult scenario and ultimately even without negotiation BA have softened their stance and not followed through with any of the threats laid out in their initial S188. I think it is imperative that compromises are made. A single LHR fleet makes business sense and operational sense and there does need to be compromises on all sides and judging by the way BA have behaved, it is clear there is room and they are willing to make those compromises.

Contrast this to BALPA, who have been negotiating from day 1 and they are imminently reaching a deal with BA with half of the redundancy numbers than BA first announced in their S188 to them and they’ve agreed to a pay cut. There is maturity and reality in their approach. I just hope finally come Monday Unite realise this and work towards a good compromise. I sincerely hope their ploy isn’t just to “talk” but with no intention of actually getting a genuine deal and only to “kick can down the road” to enable industrial action later...