Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Originally Posted by NinerNinerFiveSeven
In which case that prove about as useful as my gym membership.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That answer is in line with post 796. Maybe you could clarify what you want to do? Achieve Gold? And when?

from 796...if tier year and expiry date are staggered as in my case ... I have seen references in some posts but no real comments regarding this...I

I am going to do a slightly amended version which should help you work out what happens to you.
  1. Take your status on the day of the announcement - 11 June 2020.
  2. This status will last you 12 further months than your current tier year and expiry date. If you already earned enough tier points for that to happen anyway, or had a recent status upgrade, then you don’t benefit from the extension.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I wonder if it would be better to suspend this thread with all its 'what will happen to me' posts for a couple of weeks. It could then be re-opened after BA have made the alterations to everyones account, and people could talk about what has happened, rather than speculate on what might happen. The only thig that is certain from this thread is that lots of people have been told different things, and nobody knows exactly how this will all pan out.

Patience is a virtue (as they say)
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:33 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Agent69
I wonder if it would be better to suspend this thread with all its 'what will happen to me' posts for a couple of weeks. It could then be re-opened after BA have made the alterations to everyones account, and people could talk about what has happened, rather than speculate on what might happen. The only thig that is certain from this thread is that lots of people have been told different things, and nobody knows exactly how this will all pan out.

Patience is a virtue (as they say)
considering the post about what BA "might" do got over 2000 posts, mostly with a "this is how many TP i have and what i need" then prob little luck suspending this!

but again, with no one flying and no champs pouring in the lounge and no DYKWIA and no red trousers...there is little else for us to tear our hair out over!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by testycal
Another Twitter datapoint which leaves me even more confused and I realize I am likely confusing matters more and repeating what has been said already.

My status

TP collection year end = November 8
Expiry date shown on card = December 31 2021
430 Current TP

Additional fact - I booked a flight using AVIOS in May for July 7 versus a revenue that would have generated additional TP this current TP collection year which leaves me at 430 versus the additional 140 to 360 it would have generated had I paid for the ticket

Response from Twitter

Good Morning, xxxxx. Your Tier Point renewal date is 08 November 2020 so under the new flexible guidelines this has automatically been extended for a further 12 months. You'll retain Silver for the whole of this period, and the thresholds for moving up a Tier has been reduced by 25%. You'd need 1125 Tier Points before 08 November 2020 to move up to Gold. Emma

My initial reaction....what happened to the extension to my "existing card status"
The 12-month status extension will be applied automatically in the next two weeks* to those memberships with Tier Point collection end dates of July 2020 – June 2021.

This is represented by your card expiry date which can be viewed on the My Executive Club page on ba.com or the mobile app.

Not a clue how this is supposed to sort out and perhaps neither does BA...wishful thinking the language used on the website ...appearing in places..."there is no need to contact us"...it will be done automatically

BA's system will generate changes but do they make sense...the soon to be diminished executive club will soon become dedicated to and be know as the BA Extension Club...no need to change the "EC" shorthand form.

Something to make you smile...And so today, we wanted to tell you something that we hope will make you smile (source original email).

By the way ..... I am no longer smiling having invested far too much mental energy into this and I suppose their copywriters and lawyers who vetted the release inserted the word hope as a conditional term that modified the original unconditional statement that that in fact I would be smiling.

Had a feeling this would turn into the dog and pony show given the way it has been communicated.
If your card expiry date is already December 31st 2021 then you are out of scope and don't qualify for an extension:

The 12-month status extension will be applied automatically in the next two weeks* to those memberships with Tier Point collection end dates of July 2020 – June 2021.
This is represented by your card expiry date which can be viewed on the My Executive Club page on
ba.com or the mobile app. This is shown underneath the “View more account information” drop down on ba.com, or at the bottom of the 'My account' page on the mobile app.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by testycal
from 796...if tier year and expiry date are staggered as in my case ... I have seen references in some posts but no real comments regarding this...I
I can see you think that with an upgraded status level you believe the tier year and expiry date are staggered, but that's not my thinking. You can either have the announced extension OR the status upgrade stagger, but not both and so it amounts to the same thing. My contention is that no-one currently has an expiry date (for the purposes of this thread) after 1 August 2021. If you are seeing something different now, you can assume your extension is already in place. That's also true for those who managed to earn their existing status through previous travel and for whom the extension doesn't help.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
I was silver until March 2020 when I achieved Gold.
My TP Year ends 08 Aug 2020

I would have kept Gold until Aug 2021 anyway, even before the announcement based on the above.

I thought #796 was very helpful but I’d already contacted BA anyway. They replied today and said

“Within the next week or two, your 'year-end' date will be extended to 08 August 2021. Your tier points earned this year will continue to be accrued over the next year and not zeroed out on 08 August 2020, so essentially your Gold status will be in place until minimum August 2022.

Helpful or even more confusing?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:27 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Originally Posted by Mike P
If your card expiry date is already December 31st 2021 then you are out of scope and don't qualify for an extension:

This is represented by your card expiry date which can be viewed on the My Executive Club page on
ba.com or the mobile app. This is shown underneath the “View more account information” drop down on ba.com, or at the bottom of the 'My account' page on the mobile app.
The confusion My confusion (in case it is only me) is everyone's Tier Point collection date is between those dates VERSUS the card expiry date which can be the month after the expiry of the Tier Point collection date or another date. The December 31 2021 is not a date that was changed as a result of this announcement - it has been there since the card was issued months ago.

"The 12-month status extension will be applied automatically in the next two weeks* to those memberships with Tier Point collection end dates of July 2020 – June 2021."
oxfordjames and stephenjc like this.

Last edited by testycal; Jun 14, 2020 at 7:03 am
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xvirginx
“Within the next week or two, your 'year-end' date will be extended to 08 August 2021. Your tier points earned this year will continue to be accrued over the next year and not zeroed out on 08 August 2020, so essentially your Gold status will be in place until minimum August 2022.

Helpful or even more confusing?
I can't get that quote to align with 796. I also doubt that they have cancelled the usual zero-ing on 8 August 2020, but that will be your first indicator as to the precise mechanics here, because if is cancelled you would indeed end up on 7 August 2021 with a load of TPs in your account and thus Gold until the end of September 2022.

The first indicator we would have that this is correct is if someone with a 8 July 2020 date checks on say 10 July 2020 and sees their previous TP balance not zero'd.
Tobias-UK and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Data point. My app now says I need 1050TP to retain Gold. Membership year is May 2020 to May 2021.

Since the status will be extended anyway in May 2021, not sure why I need any TPs this membership year.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by florens
Data point. My app now says I need 1050TP to retain Gold. Membership year is May 2020 to May 2021.

Since the status will be extended anyway in May 2021, not sure why I need any TPs this membership year.
That happened to me yesterday (my collection year ends in December) - and a couple of GGLs saw the same 30% reduction. After a couple of hours it went back up to 1,500 for me.
florens likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by florens

Those who are lifetime get the tracker so I wouldn't read much into that, but yes, you only need TPs for upgrades, GUFs and adding to your lifetime balance. We've also seen some random glitches on the App which vanish after a few hours.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by VSLover
considering the post about what BA "might" do got over 2000 posts, mostly with a "this is how many TP i have and what i need" then prob little luck suspending this!

but again, with no one flying and no champs pouring in the lounge and no DYKWIA and no red trousers...there is little else for us to tear our hair out over!
I now have plenty of hair to tear out.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The first indicator we would have that this is correct is if someone with a 8 July 2020 date checks on say 10 July 2020 and sees their previous TP balance not zero'd.
My end date is on the 8th of July, so I'll make sure to report what happens with my account.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by northeastflyer
I'm a tad confused. Maybe someone can clarify what this means to my situation.

My TP year ends 8 Jul. I was upgraded to Gold last month after I contacted Exec Club explaining that my then already cancelled flights would have had me move Silver to Gold mid June.

Today I received the email stating I would get a 12 month extension, so does that mean I'll keep Gold until Jul 22? There seems to be discussion on here debating whether that if you've achieved the required TP's you may not receive the extension?🤔
I'm more confused than ever. I emailed Exec Club regarding my situation. They replied today, not once but twice. Below are the key parts of the responses.

First response :

"The current flexibility is certainly confusing. It's taking us all a little bit of time to understand these changes ourselves. The flexibility allows you to retain your current status for your next membership year. Therefore your card is valid until August 2021. To retain your status for the year after, you will need to earn the reduced number of Tier Points (1125) by 08th July 2021."

I didn't reply, but then 40 mins later.....

Second response :

Please ignore my previous email!

" You will retain Gold status until 31st August 2022. This is because you have upgraded part way through your membership year. Therefore you will still benefit from the year extension. This should update on your account over the next few weeks."

The second response seems to agree with something I just read up thread.

I hope the second response is correct 🤔
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I can't get that quote to align with 796. I also doubt that they have cancelled the usual zero-ing on 8 August 2020, but that will be your first indicator as to the precise mechanics here, because if is cancelled you would indeed end up on 7 August 2021 with a load of TPs in your account and thus Gold until the end of September 2022.

I’ll resurface on 9 July and report back, but I’m
not feeling confident 😊

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Jun 14, 2020 at 6:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.