Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eh220160
Guessing this is patently wrong - response received from BA today...

"I have checked your account and can see your current Tier Point collection year was due to end on 8 July 2020. This will be extended for 12 months until 8 July 2021 so your Tier Points will not reset until then.
You will need to earn another XX [[i]450 less existing total] Tier Points before then in order to upgrade to Silver membership."
yep.

in their defence they are probably struggling to grasp the details too. perhaps they should read this thread and 796?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Another data point (confirmation in writing from BAEC agent)

This response suggests a literal reading of the terms and conditions.
TP collection date = November 8
Card Expiry date = December 31 2021 (silver)
current TP = 430

"Thank you for coming back to us and for providing the information we requested.
I have checked your account and can see your Silver membership card expiry date is currently 31 December 2021. This will be automatically extended for a further 12 months so will be 31 December 2022. You will need to earn the lower threshold of 450 Tier Points and four eligible flights between 9 November 2021 and 8 December 2022 to renew at Silver for the following year."
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
yep.

in their defence they are probably struggling to grasp the details too. perhaps they should read this thread and 796?
Very poor show for BA customer service to keep conveying inconsistent and at times incorrect information.

Isn’t the very basics of new product launch be to train your customer service staff first before launching (instead of leaving them to haplessly interpret and grasp)?
adrianlondon and florens like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
I have to say, the whole thing seems to be crying out for a simple flowchart! The logic is really not that complicated... even a paper one issued to all call centres would do the job.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Very poor show for BA customer service to keep conveying inconsistent and at times incorrect information.
The fault has to lie with the management on this one. After all, it's not like this new policy was rushed out as a knee-jerk reaction. BA took its time, no doubt thought it through carefully and then failed to communicate it properly with anyone including their own staff.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by testycal

current TP = 430

"Thank you for coming back to us and for providing the information we requested.
I have checked your account and can see your Silver membership card expiry date is currently 31 December 2021. This will be automatically extended for a further 12 months so will be 31 December 2022. You will need to earn the lower threshold of 450 Tier Points and four eligible flights between 9 November 2021 and 8 December 2022 to renew at Silver for the following year."
Well I would be thrilled if this actually ends up being the case.

With a July 8 anniversary TP date I am currently well over the 600 needed to retain Silver and close to the reduced Gold threshold at 1125 - if that even applies to me for the next few weeks or only for my next TP year?!?! With my current card expiration of Aug 2021 already having showed showing on the website months ago, I am at a loss if I should do a quick TP run to get to 1125 BEFORE July 8, 2020 to secure Gold for two years or just wait until later in the year to resume normal flying and perhaps hit Gold later on in 2021. Unsure what to do because of the mixed-messages and lack of concrete info. Grrrrrr....
Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Originally Posted by geo1005
Well I would be thrilled if this actually ends up being the case.

With a July 8 anniversary TP date I am currently well over the 600 needed to retain Silver and close to the reduced Gold threshold at 1125 - if that even applies to me for the next few weeks or only for my next TP year?!?! With my current card expiration of Aug 2021 already having showed showing on the website months ago, I am at a loss if I should do a quick TP run to get to 1125 BEFORE July 8, 2020 to secure Gold for two years or just wait until later in the year to resume normal flying and perhaps hit Gold later on in 2021. Unsure what to do because of the mixed-messages and lack of concrete info. Grrrrrr....
I have something in writing but who knows how this ultimately shakes down...moving targets are difficult to grasp to mix my metaphors.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Just got off the phone with the Gold line. Provided the supervisor understands the email correctly, the 25% discount definitely does apply to both the current year and the next.

August-baby Junior00 has 1155 TPs with another ~500 booked for July that we're still hoping to fly. She is currently silver. The agent has sent in a request to upgrade her to Gold for her current membership year as she has met the lowered requirement. Her further booking didn't seem relevant.

He initially thought that her TPs would not reset on 9 August, so I asked incredulously whether he was sure that was the case. He called a supervisor and returned with confirmation that her account will definitely zero out, but that she will need to earn 75% between 09 Aug 2020 and 08 Aug 2021 to renew.
alex67500 and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Another data point - 8 May collection year end and just received this very comprehensive response from a web form enquiry

... I am happy to confirm that your current Tier Point collection year, that ends on 8 May 2021, will automatically renew at Gold on 9 May 2021 for a further 12 months until 8 May 2022. Your card will be valid until 30 June 2022, so it gives us enough time to send you a new membership card before your current one expires. There is no need to contact us to arrange this.The number of Tier Points needed to retain Gold has been reduced by 25 per cent for the year after your 12-month extension making it easier for Members to renew or upgrade a Tier. Therefore you will need to earn 1,125 Tier Points between 9 May 2021 and 8 May 2022, to be eligible to renew at Gold for your 2022/2023 Membership...
So very happy that no travel actually needed between now and next May, although ironically I do actually have >1,125 TPs of travel planned this year!
IMH, T8191, florens and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by BAECAddict
Another data point - 8 May collection year end and just received this very comprehensive response from a web form enquiry

So very happy that no travel actually needed between now and next May, although ironically I do actually have >1,125 TPs of travel planned this year!
Rebook later to your 2021-2022 year.
jonr405 and BAECAddict like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by golfmad
... After all, it's not like this new policy was rushed out as a knee-jerk reaction...
Fake news, of course it was!
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
I am on 965 TPs and contacted BA via twitter and the response was

Hi Alan. If you earn 1,125 Tier Points by 08 September 2020, you'll move to Gold and benefit for the 12-month extension. Now that sounds pretty good! Take care and stay safe!
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by testycal

current TP = 430

A literal reading of the "good news" email would lead to that conclusion. Keep that response safely tucked away in case of emergency.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingWelshie
I am on 965 TPs and contacted BA via twitter and the response was

Hi Alan. If you earn 1,125 Tier Points by 08 September 2020, you'll move to Gold and benefit for the 12-month extension. Now that sounds pretty good! Take care and stay safe!
So yes the first bit is correct and if you get to 1125 by 8 September 2020 you will move to gold. However, under normal rules when you upgrade you get the status for the remainder of the current membership year and the next full membership year, so your expiry date on your gold card would be 30 October 2021 anyway. I am afraid the understanding is you would not get that extended to 30 October 2022.

Your 9 September 2021 to 8 September 2022 membership year status would depend on what you earned between 9 September 2020 to 8 September 2021, and the 25% reduced thresholds would apply, so only 1125 to get gold again.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I'm curious about my situation now. I also have 1155, with a November collection year end. My current card expires 2020. But now I've requalified on the lower level, so should I not have an expiry date of 2021? Meaning I'd have an additional year added on 09 November, to 2022?

Last edited by Arsey00; Jun 17, 2020 at 2:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.