Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
So I'm currently Gold having collected >1500 TPs prior to the end of my TP collection year on 8 May. In my account, my TP collection year end is currently showing as 8 May 2021, card expiry is 30 June 2021 and 1500 TPs needed to re-qualify. All as you would expect since the announcement only came out yesterday.

I tried to see this through the lens of what changes have they said they will make to my account.

1. Since my TP collection year end is in the July 2020-June 2021 window, it will be extended to 8 May 2022 - and correspondingly my card expiry date will become 30 June 2022.

2. Next time I'm up for renewal, I only need to have 1125 TPs, so I would expect as long as I have have 1125 or more TPs on 8 May 2022, I will retain Gold, irrespective of when I earn the TPs between now and that date. Consequently, I would expect the countdown indicator in the app to be changed to 1125. After that, it's back to 1500 TPs (for renewal on 8 May 2023).

Seems pretty straightforward to me - or am I missing something? Are we being confused by the FAQs which seem to muddy the two basic principles set out in the section entitled "Coronavirus: How the Executive Club is supporting you"?
Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
An unpleasant thought occurs.....

Re-reading the email it says (emphasis mine):

So take the apparently unfortunate case of the "Already Qualified July". At the time of writing, the "next time" they will renew will be 08 July 2020. So does that mean the reduction applies only to the period 09 Jul 2019 - 08 Jul 2020?
I don't think it logically can. I'm GGL / CCR and re-qualified in March 2020 so already had status through to March 2021 which has now been extended to March 2022. My reading is that from March 9th 2021 through to March 8th 2022 I would then need to earn 3750 Tier Points to retain at GGL / CCR for the year that starts on March 9th 2022. The relevant excerpt is below:

To say thank you for all your loyalty and support, we’ve added 12 months extra onto your Gold Guest List Executive Club membership. So you have more time to enjoy your benefits, whenever you’re ready to return to the skies.

What’s more, it will be even easier to retain your Gold Guest List status next time you’re up for renewal, as we’ve decreased the amount of Tier Points needed by 25%.
KARFA and BAECAddict like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:52 am

An unpleasant thought occurs.....

Re-reading the email it says (emphasis mine):

So take the apparently unfortunate case of the "Already Qualified July". At the time of writing, the "next time" they will renew will be 08 July 2020. So does that mean the reduction applies only to the period 09 Jul 2019 - 08 Jul 2020?
I read "next time you're up for renewal" as being the TP collection year end AFTER they apply the extension.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by BAECAddict
So I'm currently Gold having collected >1500 TPs prior to the end of my TP collection year on 8 May. In my account, my TP collection year end is currently showing as 8 May 2021, card expiry is 30 June 2021 and 1500 TPs needed to re-qualify. All as you would expect since the announcement only came out yesterday.

I tried to see this through the lens of what changes have they said they will make to my account.

1. Since my TP collection year end is in the July 2020-June 2021 window, it will be extended to 8 May 2022 - and correspondingly my card expiry date will become 30 June 2022.

2. Next time I'm up for renewal, I only need to have 1125 TPs, so I would expect as long as I have have 1125 or more TPs on 8 May 2022, I will retain Gold, irrespective of when I earn the TPs between now and that date. Consequently, I would expect the countdown indicator in the app to be changed to 1125. After that, it's back to 1500 TPs (for renewal on 8 May 2023).

Seems pretty straightforward to me - or am I missing something? Are we being confused by the FAQs which seem to muddy the two basic principles set out in the section entitled "Coronavirus: How the Executive Club is supporting you"?
Re point 2, no, you will have to earn 1125 Tier Points during the extension year so in your case on or after May 9th 2021.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Mike P
Re point 2, no, you will have to earn 1125 Tier Points during the extension year so in your case on or after May 9th 2021.
Ah ok, so you think I’d have a TP year reset on 8 May 2021 even that date is meaningless on the system because my TP collection year end will now be set at 8 May 2022? Is the BA system sophisticated enough to cope with that additional date? I’m not so sure... I think it looks for the TP collection year end date to do a TP reset and that won’t now be 8 May 2021.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
I read "next time you're up for renewal" as being the TP collection year end AFTER they apply the extension.
That was my initial reading, but we know they are applying it to the current collection years, so can there be two "next times".....?

Originally Posted by Mike P
I don't think it logically can

To say thank you for all your loyalty and support, we’ve added 12 months extra onto your Gold Guest List Executive Club membership. So you have more time to enjoy your benefits, whenever you’re ready to return to the skies.

What’s more, it will be even easier to retain your Gold Guest List status next time you’re up for renewal, as we’ve decreased the amount of Tier Points needed by 25%.
Logically, that would make sense, but this is BA after all It's the lack of precision in the language - does "next time you're up for renewal" mean when your currentTP collection year ends, i.e. the "next time" you are "up for renewal" could be construed to be 09 Mar 2021 for yourself. Now of course, you will point out that makes no sense to give you a reduced target in that year because they've already extended you and you can earn 0 TP between Mar 20-21 and still be fine. But it also makes no sense to give people an "extra year" that they've already earned and they seem to be doing that so....
BAECAddict likes this.

Last edited by BertieBadger; Jun 12, 2020 at 3:09 am Reason: Spelling and clarity
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Ah ok, so you think I’d have a TP year reset on 8 May 2021 even that date is meaningless on the system because my TP collection year end will now be set at 8 May 2022? Is the BA system sophisticated enough to cope with that additional date? I’m not so sure... I think it looks for the TP collection year end date to do a TP reset and that won’t now be 8 May 2021.
your tps will still reset on 8 May 2021 - your status will be extended anyway tho.

what you earn in your 9 may 2021 to 8 may 2022 will determine what status you are in your 9 may 2022 to 8 may 2023 membership year.
BAECAddict likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:05 am

Ah ok, so you think I’d have TP year reset on 8 May 2021 even that date is meaningless on the system because my TP collection year end will now be set at 8 May 2022? Is the BA system sophisticated enough to cope with that additional date? I’m not so sure... I think it looks for the TP collection year end date to do a TP reset and that won’t now be 8 May 2021.
Yes, the years definitely still remain separate so effectively you have the current year which ends on May 8th 2021 and the new year courtesy of the extension which begins on May 9th 2021. Any Tier Points you earn before May 8th 2021 will not count towards status but will obviously count towards your lifetime total. You may well shortly see your tier point collection year end remains at 8th May 2021 but your card validity updates to June 30th 2022.
BAECAddict likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:05 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
...because my TP collection year end will now be set at 8 May 2022? ...
I don't believe TP collection years are being adjusted at all. When BA does extensions like this, it only moves the expiry, never the TP collection periods. So instead of expiring 7 weeks after TP collection ends, it will expire 1 year + 7 weeks after.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:06 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I had my reply from an email I sent yesterday to the GGL team regarding why we didnt get an email.

Just an IT glitch it was and confirmed we are GGL till 2022.

As CWS quite rightly stated April May and June are definetely included. , as normal, CWS is correct .

I normally like being right, but am very glad not on this occasion!

Other websites and bloggers are usually behind the curve and FT is the place to be for key info.

SoBA FT is the source to use!
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
I had my reply from an email I sent yesterday to the GGL team regarding why we didnt get an email.

Just an IT glitch it was and confirmed we are GGL till 2022.

As CWS quite rightly stated April May and June are definetely included. , as normal, CWS is correct .

I normally like being right, but am very glad not on this occasion!

Other websites and bloggers are usually behind the curve and FT is the place to be for key info.

SoBA FT is the source to use!
I wonder if the glitch is related to the fact that we are so close to the reset date (which only passed 3 days ago)?
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:14 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
I wonder if the glitch is related to the fact that we are so close to the reset date (which only passed 3 days ago)?
I suspect something like that. It was only just a few days and I imagine they have been planning this for some weeks, if not longer.
TGflyergirl and rossmacd like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:15 am

That was my initial reading, but we know they are applying it to the current collection years, so can there be two "next times".....?

Logically, that would make sense, but this is BA after all It's the lack of precision in the language - does "next time you're up for renewal" mean when your currentTP collection year ends, i.e. the "next time" you are "up for renewal" could be construed to be 09 Mar 2021 for yourself. Now of course, you will point out that makes no sense to give you a reduced target in that year because they've already extended you and you can earn 0 TP between Mar 20-21 and still be fine. But it also makes no sense to give people an "extra year" that they've already earned and they seem to be doing that so....
It's a good point but I think given the adjacent paragraphs in the email I quoted, BA would struggle to renege on the promise of a reduced Tier Point earning requirement in the year FOLLOWING the extension year. It's a point which might be worth clarifying in writing with BA however.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:16 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I am also a bit unclear on this. As a July ( ), I don't know whether July 20 or July 21 is the "next time" I am up for renewal. If it's July 20, then, no surprise, the Julys are further stuffed.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:18 am

I don't believe TP collection years are being adjusted at all. When BA does extensions like this, it only moves the expiry, never the TP collection periods. So instead of expiring 7 weeks after TP collection ends, it will expire 1 year + 7 weeks after.
Gotcha... I did make multiple assumptions about the logic of the BA system, not all of which I validated, particularly because I have not been a beneficiary of one of these situations before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.