Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by VSLover
such a blanket statement is not necessarily true as there could conversely be plenty of people who had booked trips that were delayed cancelled or whatever that still require human support...and then decide to just bail on a trip all together.
If people are clogging up the call centre because they cannot fly because of cancellations that also kind of ruins the original posters arguement that its not fair that people who did not meet the threshold are being extended.

and, ... fix the cancellations issue and the call centre wait times issue resolves itself
zen100 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I suspect this topic: Happy 40th to me (not birthday...) might have something to do with it 😁
You don't say if it means they took pity or that my callous cynicism has made me BA leadership's public enemy no1!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I also seem to be in the current late receivers batch of emails. Wonder if others have not received it yet (or why the batching in the first place but that’s purely academic curiosity)
No email for me as well, but I think my card has been extended already to 2023.

Originally Posted by alexwuk
Nov year end here, just had GGL status extended by a year.
Now wondering why I bothered to accumulate 2,500 TPs in the last 5 months.
GUF2, lifetime TPs, Avios...?
I'm in a similar situation, I just earned enough TPs to keep status... and get a GUF2. I'm ok with that.

All of my travel was necessary, but choosing to do all of it on paid tickets (rather than avios) or flying on BA rather than a competitor was down to Tier Points.

There are GGLs who haven't touched an airplane since Feb 2020 who will still be GGL until Dec 2023 - meanwhile, the wait times on the GGL phone number are increasing. By not having a clearout of legacy status holders, BA are having those of us who do travel extensively after covid subsidise perks for those who no longer do - strikes me as rewarding the wrong cohort.
Isn't that the group BA hopes to reward with the upper end of the BAEC status tiers?

Many people who travelled a lot pre-covid will not be travelling as much in future for many possible reasons: lifestyle choice/increased use of virtual meetings/changed role/changed working hours or location. I'm just not sure why having travelled a lot 4 years ago should qualify you to use GGL facilities today (GGLfL excepted).

I'd love to get the hours I spend in aircraft / airports back to do other things, so I'm a touch jealous that BA is letting people have their cake and eat it (not really do much flying, but have access to all the perks which many of us devote lots of hours and much revenue to BA to get access to)
If those GGLs don't fly, they are not using any perk nor contributing to increase response times by phone or mail.
On the other hand, if BA would let them drop to Gold while there still are limitations to international travel, how many would not bother anymore to fly and spend on BA enough to get GGL again?
Keystone likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold PC Platinum
I’m G with Nov renewal….little chance of reaching 1125 TPs due to several trip cancellations due to COVID work related travel policy changes (big US tech firm!)

I now have to go to the US in a couple of weeks but due to the crazy Club World prices on BA atm they have told us we have to fly Y…..and frankly, I am thinking of using VS and their economy Delight product for a bit more leg room and I can use points to upgrade to Premium Y or even UC whereas on BA there is nothing available for points upgrade

I do think BA in some way miss the knock on effect of high pricing and lack of ability to use points….if I go VS and it’s good I’ll probably abandon attempts to renew Gold on BA and just mix and match airlines depending on route etc so they’ll lose thousands over the course of a year
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:45 am

I’m surprised BA didn’t group G’s with GGH’s and just renew (extend) a further few months through to the year end.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by star_crazy
I do think BA in some way miss the knock on effect of high pricing and lack of ability to use points….if I go VS and it’s good I’ll probably abandon attempts to renew Gold on BA and just mix and match airlines depending on route etc so they’ll lose thousands over the course of a year
I'm Bronze with a November renewal. Unlucky timing, as I dropped from Silver right before Covid hit. I'll be dropping to Blue for the first time in years. I fly short-haul regularly-ish (using avios where possible) and fly long haul only to Asia (usually a convoluted route in CW to get me close to Silver). With Asia having been mainly shut, and my trips typically taking me to Taiwan (still shut to me) Blue it'll be!

It could be a good thing, as with no status, unless I get a good ex-EU price and loads of tier points, I'll also be trying non-one-world airlines for the first time in years. I used to fly SIA but haven't done for ages once I got into the BA tier-point-collection mindset.

So, in my case, BA won't be losing much (just 2x CW flights to Asia a year, plus one Y flight usually) but for me it'll be the incentive to try another airline. Or lac of incentive to stick with BA, however one views it.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
There are GGLs who haven't touched an airplane since Feb 2020 who will still be GGL until Dec 2023 - meanwhile, the wait times on the GGL phone number are increasing. By not having a clearout of legacy status holders, BA are having those of us who do travel extensively after covid subsidise perks for those who no longer do - strikes me as rewarding the wrong cohort.
I've said it upthread but I'll state it again - given that GGL is a footnote on the BA webpage - a tier within a tier that is almost never separated from Gold when dealing with issues like this - the fact that they've chosen to split GGLs off means BA have looked at the numbers and decided it is worthwhile.

Perhaps a large number of 'corporate' GGL's companies have told BA their travel policies will allow flying again from 2023 - and BA want to retain those flyers. Perhaps they're concerned about the lounge capacity for Golds, but as all GGLs now have CCR access it's not such an issue for them.

Either way, BA would never please everyone whatever they decided to do. But it's their game, their ball and their rules.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 6:45 am
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Could a lowly bronze with august renewal date achieve silver with 300TPs? Or is that just for silver renewals?
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by star_crazy
I do think BA in some way miss the knock on effect of high pricing….
Oh, I think they know... But it helps (BA) to separate the price sensitive status holders from those willing to pay the current high prices.

But it's definately harder (or rather, more expensive) to achieve the thresholds now. It feels like the current 25% reduction in tier points offsets that a lot.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by A13
Could a lowly bronze with august renewal date achieve silver with 300TPs? Or is that just for silver renewals?
Did you get an email from BA in the past few days?

Not sure if it applies to Bronze

Does your card expire say 8th Aug year end and 30th September expiry?

If I were you I would wait until your new collection year, then you have 5 months to get 450 tier points in the reduced threshold offer

Then you would be silver to August 2024.

If you can use the BA holidays offer

Double tier points to a 160 TP destination in CE
You could get 320 tier points to start you off

Then two weekends away and you're there

Or just 3 return flights to Sofia etc
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I've said it upthread but I'll state it again - given that GGL is a footnote on the BA webpage - a tier within a tier that is almost never separated from Gold when dealing with issues like this - the fact that they've chosen to split GGLs off means BA have looked at the numbers and decided it is worthwhile.

Perhaps a large number of 'corporate' GGL's companies have told BA their travel policies will allow flying again from 2023 - and BA want to retain those flyers. Perhaps they're concerned about the lounge capacity for Golds, but as all GGLs now have CCR access it's not such an issue for them.

Either way, BA would never please everyone whatever they decided to do. But it's their game, their ball and their rules.
I also wonder if the fact that GGL is the only tier with different TP requirements for “earn” and “renew” has played into this. If you drop from GGL, having to get 5K TPs (ignoring reduced thresholds for now) to get it back is a much higher mountain to climb. There may have been a calculation that there is a chunk of 3-5K TP flyers out there that BA wasn’t keen to risk letting go as things recover. Just idle speculation on my part.

Of course, some people who have flown and renewed anyway may feel aggrieved (this was a theme back at the very first extension), but as you say, BA’s game, ball and rules. And those TPs may still have a value for GUFs and lifetime TPs.
orbitmic, Lefly and zen100 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
For reference, Gold here and no e-mail received, and account still shows expiry of Gold card in November 2022
Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
I also wonder if the fact that GGL is the only tier with different TP requirements for “earn” and “renew” has played into this. If you drop from GGL, having to get 5K TPs (ignoring reduced thresholds for now) to get it back is a much higher mountain to climb. There may have been a calculation that there is a chunk of 3-5K TP flyers out there that BA wasn’t keen to risk letting go as things recover. Just idle speculation on my part.
From numbers thrown around here, there were 5-7K GGLs and under 20% of them also had CCR cards (back when CCR cards were a thing). So that's perfectly possible.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Originally Posted by andrewr1985
For reference, Gold here and no e-mail received, and account still shows expiry of Gold card in November 2022
Same here (Though December expiry), and same for my partner (November).
bos2gla likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GK1981
Same here (Though December expiry), and same for my partner (November).
Only gold from July to Sep extended. Ggl up to December. So as a regular gold you won't see anything unless BA announce new extensions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.