Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:23 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Tdgraves
correct. I have 1070 TPs now, it would have been 1290. I also had plans for a US conference in CW which would have taken me over 1500, if it wasn’t cancelled due to COVID (and so had not yet booked).
I'd be inclined to go back to them and ask them to revisit the issue. I wouldn't even bother mentioning intended-not-booked flights though, based on what we've read in this thread they don't even take account of long established patterns from high value passengers, so they are unlikely to carry any weight whatsoever.

You'd be in a somewhat stronger position if your cancellations would have taken you over 1500TP as I'd expect them to push back on that point - e.g. they'll point to the fact they have already lowered the TP criteria to account for cancellations, but I think some people have been given the tier based on TPs + cancellations meeting just the reduced criteria - you'd have to go over the thread to find examples of that. If your cancellations were after the announcement of the lowered TP targets I suggest that strengthens your case - after all, you had booked what they had told you that you needed and the cancellations were outwith your control.

You may also choose to point out that if your year ended in Apr, May or Jun you'd already have hit Gold (they got a 30% rather than 25% reduction), again a matter of being fair (their own reasoning) to members by treating them as equally as possible.

Good luck!
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
You'd be in a somewhat stronger position if your cancellations would have taken you over 1500TP as I'd expect them to push back on that point - e.g. they'll point to the fact they have already lowered the TP criteria to account for cancellations, but I think some people have been given the tier based on TPs + cancellations meeting just the reduced criteria
Good luck!
I had my status upgraded to gold, based on flights cancelled which took me to past the reduced gold tier threshold. Quite generous TBH.
BertieBadger likes this.

Last edited by wilko1; Sep 17, 2020 at 12:48 am
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by wilko1
I had my status upgraded to gold, based on flights cancelled which took me to past the reduced gold tier threshold.
Many thanks for this info. While it highlights an inconsistency in treatment compared to Tdgraves, it does at least give some hope that they might be able to get BAEC to reconsider their claim and provides support for any request that they should.
Tdgraves likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
correct. I have 1070 TPs now, it would have been 1290. I also had plans for a US conference in CW which would have taken me over 1500, if it wasn’t cancelled due to COVID (and so had not yet booked).
I was just upgraded to Gold. September 8 year end with 900 TP's. I had a cancelled transatlantic business flight from April that they took under consideration.
It took a bit of convincing as I was denied initially - had few emails exchanged and eventually they agreed to bump me up to Gold. Now I'm just waiting for travel to resume!
Tdgraves likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Acid
I was just upgraded to Gold. September 8 year end with 900 TP's. I had a cancelled transatlantic business flight from April that they took under consideration.
It took a bit of convincing as I was denied initially - had few emails exchanged and eventually they agreed to bump me up to Gold. Now I'm just waiting for travel to resume!
useful information acid
Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thumbs up

I have just been told that they will not upgrade me based on cancelled flights “to be fair to all our loyal customers”. I am 55 TPs short and have lost 220 TPs due to 2 cancelled flights. Not happy.
I am happy to report that after calling back, they have reconsidered and now I am Gold, probably for the first and only time! No extension, but I think that may be greedy....
Acid, Tobias-UK, alex67500 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
I am happy to report that after calling back, they have reconsidered and now I am Gold, probably for the first and only time! No extension, but I think that may be greedy....
Congrats! But that means there is still some benefit to moving up the tier based on flown TPs because that does give an extra 12 months (intentional or not).
Tdgraves likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:23 am

Great outcome!

If only all their CS was so good (just off the Gold line - great service from the telephone agent as always - to discover that in my case they just repeatedly ignored my query and then closed the case. Oh well, refunds here we come....)
Tdgraves likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I’ve just looked at my BAEC account for the first time in ages. I reset on 8 Oct. I have 3680 TPs for the year to date.

It is saying that I need 70 more TPs for a CCR card and showing a helpful little green bar chart next to it, where the target of 3750 is set out.

I thought that I would have my current CCR card from this year rolled into next TP collection year (ending Oct 21) and then, next TP collection year, I would need 3750 to keep it for TP collection year ending Oct 22.

Am I wrong or is BA IT the problem?
Old Sep 18, 2020, 6:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I’ve just looked at my BAEC account for the first time in ages. I reset on 8 Oct. I have 3680 TPs for the year to date.

It is saying that I need 70 more TPs for a CCR card and showing a helpful little green bar chart next to it, where the target of 3750 is set out.

I thought that I would have my current CCR card from this year rolled into next TP collection year (ending Oct 21) and then, next TP collection year, I would need 3750 to keep it for TP collection year ending Oct 22.

whatever you have in your current membership year will be extended in to next membership year anyway.

Reduced thresholds apply to current and next membership year too, but only really relevant in current for those upgrading.
HFHFFlyer and BertieBadger like this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer

What does the expiry date say in your account?

The reduced TP target applies both to your current year and your next. Assuming your expiry date is showing Nov 30, 2021 then you need 3750 between Oct 9 2020 and Oct 8 2021 to retain CCR beyond that expiry.

BA's IT struggles (i.e. fails) to show that you don't actually need to earn points in your current year if your expiry date is extended.

Edit: or what he said Too slow!
Old Sep 18, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold

The reduced TP target applies both to your current year and your next. <snip>
BertieBadger , so if, for example, one had an 8 July year end, does that mean that 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 are reduced TP target years, or does it mean the 20 days after BA sent the email (current year) and then Jul 2020- Jul 2021 only, so basically one year?
Old Sep 18, 2020, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
BertieBadger , so if, for example, one had an 8 July year end, does that mean that 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 are reduced TP target years, or does it mean the 20 days after BA sent the email (current year) and then Jul 2020- Jul 2021 only, so basically one year?
For the 8 July case, the reduced TP years are 2019-2020 and 2020-2021.
The graph in the WIKI of this thread is a great source to interpret all cases.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
The latter, at least that is what BA have told me.

You're already substantially into your second and last reduced year, your first 'year' indeed being a matter of days.

Since misery loves company, I'll note that so am I (July also).

It's a double whammy I'm afraid Not only do July members get the worst deal in terms of absolute dates of the 'extension' they also have to collect 75% of target in a period where theres perhaps 30% of normal flights.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite

The reduced TP target applies both to your current year and your next. Assuming your expiry date is showing Nov 30, 2021 then you need 3750 between Oct 9 2020 and Oct 8 2021 to retain CCR beyond that expiry.

BA's IT struggles (i.e. fails) to show that you don't actually need to earn points in your current year if your expiry date is extended.

Edit: or what he said Too slow!
Thanks. My expiry date is 30 Nov 21......

Does anyone happen to know if they are issuing new CCR cards for those that have an expired date on them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.