Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Originally Posted by KARFA
Where were you seeing they would do this? Is it just from the one or two posted reports on this thread?
No seeing of anything .....

The recent year addition was the promised BA gift

Whereas August is my TP year end and i have surpassed Silver requalification requirements .

I think a perfectly legitimate expectation
Old Jun 24, 2020, 4:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dolfinco
I get that. But this is a change to the rules and terms and conditions. The rules say your membership lasts 12 months. The new rules say, your membership will be extended by 12 months. The new rules dont say it will be extended by 12 months but your earning period will be split in 2.

I'm still of the belief the TPs will continue, though I appreciate it's up in the air..
I agree with golfmad. I do agree that the email is not worded well, but of all the things I expect to happen having 24 month tier collection period is definitely not one of them.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think it wasn't answered as no one knew for sure. It seems the reduced thresholds will apply for current and next membership years https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...-tier-upgrade/
Great, thanks for responding so quickly, hopefully HFP have got it right!

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
To be honest I thought I got this 12 month extension thingy wrapped around my head, yet some recent data points seem to have contradicted post #796 . Now I don't know what's the relative truth anymore!

So I'm just going to respond to you with this comment - your mother taught you well. And I'm sure there are far other more knowledgeable and less confused people in this forum who can help you out.
In fairness, given my record at school, "try again" was the most positive comment anyone could offer..!
Old Jun 24, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Having been extended to Oct 2022 I asked for clarification on collection of TPs.
I received this:
I can also confirm that the 25% reduced thresholds will apply to your Tier Point Collection year beginning September 2021, meaning you will need 225 Tier Points for Bronze, 450 Tier Points for Silver and 1,125 Tier Points for Gold.
Hope that helps.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
To be honest I thought I got this 12 month extension thingy wrapped around my head, yet some recent data points seem to have contradicted post #796 . Now I don't know what's the relative truth anymore!
To put it simply, you will have had 12 months added on to whatever card expiry date you had.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
To put it simply, you will have had 12 months added on to whatever card expiry date you had.
Except for some of us it just didn’t happen. I had re-qualified before the announcement with a tier point collection year ending 8 May 21 and card expiry 30 June 21.

I clearly fall into the criteria for an extension (and yes I have logged out and back in the app to make sure I have the latest info): BA told me in their email: “All members will benefit, starting with those who have a Tier Point collection end date of July 2020, through to June 2021”.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by icebird
Except for some of us it just didn’t happen. I had re-qualified before the announcement with a tier point collection year ending 8 May 21 and card expiry 30 June 21.

I clearly fall into the criteria for an extension (and yes I have logged out and back in the app to make sure I have the latest info): BA told me in their email: “All members will benefit, starting with those who have a Tier Point collection end date of July 2020, through to June 2021”.
See c-w-s' post #1296. I have the same dates as you ... and I'm trying to be patient!

The updates to membership years are about half way through the system.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by icebird

this on HfP seems to explain why you haven't seen anything yet https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...-tier-upgrade/

see under "Is your Executive Club year-end 8th May or 8th June?"
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I think that the use of the word "whining" in 1312 isn't appropriate, as the current situation will create the following tangible inequalities.

Currently, we all have to earn the same TPs over a year to get to our appropriate levels, which is totally equitable, despite our year-ends falling in different months. Over 3 years, we all need to earn 100% of the TPs required.

The new situation will create the following wholly inequitable earning requirements, which means that different people have to spend significantly different amounts of hard cash to achieve their desired status, based on a lottery of when their card happens to expire or whether they have been lucky enough to get to a higher tier in recent months:

Additionally, as each year passes, we have to assume that the routes available to earn the TPs will increase, making earning increasingly more achievable. So, yes, I would argue that those of us who have been "extended" to 2021 have been disadvantaged to a significantly greater extent than a few rounding errors, plus we have fewer flights to choose from during our discount year. I see no real need for the discount to apply all of the way through to 2022-2023.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I think that the use of the word "whining" in 1312 isn't appropriate, as the current situation will create the following tangible inequalities.

Currently, we all have to earn the same TPs over a year to get to our appropriate levels, which is totally equitable, despite our year-ends falling in different months. Over 3 years, we all need to earn 100% of the TPs required.

Additionally, as each year passes, we have to assume that the routes available to earn the TPs will increase, making earning increasingly more achievable. So, yes, I would argue that those of us who have been "extended" to 2021 have been disadvantaged to a significantly greater extent than a few rounding errors, plus we have fewer flights to choose from during our discount year. I see no real need for the discount to apply all of the way through to 2022-2023.
I don't think BA's IT is capable of doing what you describe in that table. I think the reduced TPs will be the default policy until 8th June 2022, and then it will revert to standard. I may be wrong, but that'll be open for debate as and when things become clear.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
I don't think BA's IT is capable of doing what you describe in that table. I think the reduced TPs will be the default policy until 8th June 2022, and then it will revert to standard. I may be wrong, but that'll be open for debate as and when things become clear.
OK - you might be right. But this would mean that those with an extension through to 2023 (as some people have managed to achieve!) that they wouldn't get a discounted period? That doesn't seem to fit with the approach promised in the email? It wouldn't make sense for them to have the discounted period before June 2022 as they actually won't need to be earning any TPs at all at that stage??
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
I can confirm I also got 12 months added and my card expiry date is now 28 Feb 2023
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
OK - you might be right. But this would mean that those with an extension through to 2023 (as some people have managed to achieve!) that they wouldn't get a discounted period? That doesn't seem to fit with the approach promised in the email? It wouldn't make sense for them to have the discounted period before June 2022 as they actually won't need to be earning any TPs at all at that stage??
I think people who got extended into 2023 should already feel rather lucky (but that's a personal opinion, I'm already happy with my card saying 2021 right now). Luck of the draw. There will always be winners and losers. They're getting another 12 months where they don't have to worry about earning TPs, I'd keep quiet

Fairness doesn't come into play, BA's business, BA set the rules.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:38 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
You lucky you got an email, be grateful! Only joking

Anyway, Email should have been targeted and worded better

I think it's unfair if that's how it turns out.

But suppose, it is what it is.

.i say that as someone who isn't really going to affected by this though.

I still think the extension will be tweaked.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Protocol7
I can confirm I also got 12 months added and my card expiry date is now 28 Feb 2023
Great result. Took a while for me to work it out, but presumably staring with an 8 Jan 2021 TP year end, achieving a higher status between 9 Jan 2020 and lockdown, so higher card had 28 Feb 2022 year end and then a 1 year extension to a Feb 2023 card end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.