Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2020, 3:46 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by The_Doctor
Hi all, another person with a July 8 year end and a question, sorry if this has already been answered upstream.

My account is already showing 31 Aug 2021 as card expiry date. I've been sitting on 945 TPs but the App has recently updated to show that I now only need 180 TPs to requalify. I had a flight to the US in March in WTP cancelled at the very last minute, is it worth contacting BAEC to have these TPs credited and might there be any benefit in doing so? I've seen reference to email or a contact form being the best way of doing this but can't find it on the website, any pointers?
It's worth asking for them to be taken into account. There was a couple of posts in this thread which said that cancelled flights were actually credited the TPs (which seems really unusual), but in your case I assume you would be happy to requalify even if they don't physically add the TPs?

Best to use the webform or DM on Twitter I think - or just call the Gold line. The webform is hidden in the contact us section of ba.com. "Help & contacts", "contact information", "all other enquiries"
Old Jul 3, 2020, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by vhdg87
Hi,

I have 650 TPs with a collection year due to end in Oct 20. I have two eligible sectors (cash s/h J), so I am only a bronze (I need two further eligible sectors).

I had a booking with American for April 20, which was cancelled and refunded by the operator. This was in cash l/h J (I or R class) and would have earned me 320 TPs (taking my total to 970) and an additioanl two eligible sectors (two of the three sectors in the reservation were under BA flight numbers, albeit operated by American). I still have a copy of the ticket and receipt. NB this was booked via a corporate portal (as all my travel is). We don't have any contract with BA.

Is there any prospect that BAEC will upgrade my account to the silver card based on its activity as it stands, ie 650 TPs and two eligible sectors, or will I have to fly an additional two eligible sectors by October of this year to qualify, as usual?
No, you will need the 4 BA flights to qualify for Silver, but you could try the webform and ask BA to take the cancelled flights into account, if you can’t get the 2 extra flights in?

Plus, if you get the TPs added, you won’t be far from Gold on the reduced thresholds if you can get an extra 155 TPs by October?
Old Jul 3, 2020, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by vhdg87
Hi,

I have 650 TPs with a collection year due to end in Oct 20. I have two eligible sectors (cash s/h J), so I am only a bronze (I need two further eligible sectors).

I had a booking with American for April 20, which was cancelled and refunded by the operator. This was in cash l/h J (I or R class) and would have earned me 320 TPs (taking my total to 970) and an additioanl two eligible sectors (two of the three sectors in the reservation were under BA flight numbers, albeit operated by American). I still have a copy of the ticket and receipt. NB this was booked via a corporate portal (as all my travel is). We don't have any contract with BA.

Is there any prospect that BAEC will upgrade my account to the silver card based on its activity as it stands, ie 650 TPs and two eligible sectors, or will I have to fly an additional two eligible sectors by October of this year to qualify, as usual?
As per the post above, yes it's definitely worth contacting Exec Club. I've posted my scenario somewhere earlier in this thread. I was silver at 960 TP in March. By May I had flights cancelled for May and June. Although they didn't add the TP, they upgraded me to Gold within 48 hrs as I would have gained 1500 without the cancellations. They also took into consideration a flight which I took a FTV for, but that was only 80 TP, so I think they gave me the benefit of the doubt on that one.

One thing that I am confused about is that my year end is 8 Jul and my card expiry date is now Aug 22. If it stays that way, great. I'd been told two very different versions of events by Exec Club.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Just to confirm again the theories we had were correct. I am a Dec 8 collection that was pushing for CCR this year. I had asked to confirm, that if I get 3750 before then I would indeed still get CCR.

--

Dear Mr JJLDNY

Thank you for your email. Yes, we have now put lower thresholds in place for all account renewals up to June 2022, so if you earn 3750 either before 08 December 2020, or between 09 December 2020 and 08 December 2021, that would be sufficient for you to enter the Gold Guest List.

If you were to achieve 3750 before December to get onto GGL, you would then only need 2250 TP in your December 2020-21 year to retain it (usually you would need 3000). I hope this may put it within reach for you, good luck!

Please feel free to let us know if you have any further queries at this time.

Kind regards
Louise
British Airways Executive Club
Old Jul 3, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH *S
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
It's worth asking for them to be taken into account. There was a couple of posts in this thread which said that cancelled flights were actually credited the TPs (which seems really unusual), but in your case I assume you would be happy to requalify even if they don't physically add the TPs?

Best to use the webform or DM on Twitter I think - or just call the Gold line. The webform is hidden in the contact us section of ba.com. "Help & contacts", "contact information", "all other enquiries"
Yes I'm happy to requalify (I assume you mean getting an actual requalification rather than the automatic extension) even if they don't add the points. I will try asking them ...
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
One thing that I am confused about is that my year end is 8 Jul and my card expiry date is now Aug 22. If it stays that way, great. I'd been told two very different versions of events by Exec Club.[/QUOTE]

According to everything I’ve read (here, HfP and TLFL etc), if your upgrade happened prior to June 1st (or 8th?) so then you had an Aug 21 card expiry date on that date, you also got the blanket one year extension to Aug 22 when they applied those on 29th June?
Old Jul 3, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
One thing that I am confused about is that my year end is 8 Jul and my card expiry date is now Aug 22. If it stays that way, great. I'd been told two very different versions of events by Exec Club.
So, essentially what has happened is that you've been a beneficiary of the way BA's IT processes people who upgrade a tier compared with those who are retaining their current tier. It's all to do with when your expiry date is adjusted.

- If you upgrade a tier, your expiry date will be updated when you upgrade a tier
- If you retain a tier, your expiry date will be updated when your collection year ends.

Consider your timeline: In March when you were bumped up to Gold your expiry date would have become August 2021 at that point. Then in June, when the 'extensions' were applied you had one year added to that giving you August 2022.

For someone (July 8th end) re-qualifying at the same level, even if they had enough points to re-qualify back in March, the system doesn't actually update their expiry date until Jul 9th. So when the 'extensions' were applied in June, the system sees the individual still has an expiry date of August 2020 (remember it hasn't been updated yet) and adds a year to that to give August 2021. Of course, the individual had re-qualified anyway, hence the 'extension' is no benefit to them at all, because come July 9th they would have been updated to August 2021 regardless, since they had requalified.

You get the benefit of 2022 because your expiry date was updated before the system applied the 'extra' year. Re-qualifiers miss out because their expiry date will update after that.

The wonders of BA's IT Maybe the above is deliberate, I can't be sure. It seems to me simply an artefact of how their systems work.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 5:20 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
So, essentially what has happened is that you've been a beneficiary of the way BA's IT processes people who upgrade a tier compared with those who are retaining their current tier. It's all to do with when your expiry date is adjusted.

- If you upgrade a tier, your expiry date will be updated when you upgrade a tier
- If you retain a tier, your expiry date will be updated when your collection year ends.

Consider your timeline: In March when you were bumped up to Gold your expiry date would have become August 2021 at that point. Then in June, when the 'extensions' were applied you had one year added to that giving you August 2022.

For someone (July 8th end) re-qualifying at the same level, even if they had enough points to re-qualify back in March, the system doesn't actually update their expiry date until Jul 9th. So when the 'extensions' were applied in June, the system sees the individual still has an expiry date of August 2020 (remember it hasn't been updated yet) and adds a year to that to give August 2021. Of course, the individual had re-qualified anyway, hence the 'extension' is no benefit to them at all, because come July 9th they would have been updated to August 2021 regardless, since they had requalified.

You get the benefit of 2022 because your expiry date was updated before the system applied the 'extra' year. Re-qualifiers miss out because their expiry date will update after that.

The wonders of BA's IT Maybe the above is deliberate, I can't be sure. It seems to me simply an artefact of how their systems work.
Excellent summary I think we need to bookmark your post as one of the key explanatory posts in this thread! Are you sure you're not KARFA in disguise?
Koru Flyer, KARFA and Alan T like this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 10:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
GGL question: I have read this thread and looked at the FAQ's on ba.com but can't find an answer for this one.

I requalified for GGL in March and my tier point reset was 8th April. I now have GGL until May 2022 which is good. Unlikely to any/much flying this year and the three flights I had booked with BA (600 TPs) were all cancelled.

My question is if I don't earn the 2,250 TPs to requalify to GGL by next April will I still be eligible to requalify for GGL at 3,000 or 2,250 TP's the following year or would I have to start again by earning 5,000 TP's.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 11:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
My question is if I don't earn the 2,250 TPs to requalify to GGL by next April will I still be eligible to requalify for GGL at 3,000 or 2,250 TP's the following year or would I have to start again by earning 5,000 TP's.
My understanding is that you don't need to re-qualify by next April in order to maintain GGL which means that you will only need the 3,000 2,250 points to retain it the following year.

You would only need 5,000 to gain GGL if you had lost GGL status.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 11:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
GGL question: I have read this thread and looked at the FAQ's on ba.com but can't find an answer for this one.

I requalified for GGL in March and my tier point reset was 8th April. I now have GGL until May 2022 which is good. Unlikely to any/much flying this year and the three flights I had booked with BA (600 TPs) were all cancelled.

Yes you should be able to reqaulify at 2250.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SonicStar817
Still no change to Silver on my account with the reduced thresholds. Still says Silver achieved. It usually wouldn't take this long...
Same with my account. Anyone contacted BA about this?
Old Jul 3, 2020, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Just to confirm again the theories we had were correct. I am a Dec 8 collection that was pushing for CCR this year. I had asked to confirm, that if I get 3750 before then I would indeed still get CCR.

--

Dear Mr JJLDNY

Thank you for your email. Yes, we have now put lower thresholds in place for all account renewals up to June 2022, so if you earn 3750 either before 08 December 2020, or between 09 December 2020 and 08 December 2021, that would be sufficient for you to enter the Gold Guest List.

If you were to achieve 3750 before December to get onto GGL, you would then only need 2250 TP in your December 2020-21 year to retain it (usually you would need 3000). I hope this may put it within reach for you, good luck!

Please feel free to let us know if you have any further queries at this time.

Kind regards
Louise
British Airways Executive Club
Kudos to Louise, for the very clear explanation!

A question of semantics though. Do you "enter" the GGL (as in, literally, be included in a list) or "become" a GGL (as in, GGL is the official tier name for the member just like the other tiers)?
Old Jul 3, 2020, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Kudos to Louise, for the very clear explanation!

A question of semantics though. Do you "enter" the GGL (as in, literally, be included in a list) or "become" a GGL (as in, GGL is the official tier name for the member just like the other tiers)?
GGL is not a tier in itself; it is merely a designation (or a level, if you will) within the gold tier.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
GGL is not a tier in itself; it is merely a designation (or a level, if you will) within the gold tier.
But if your name's not on the list, you ain't comin' in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.