Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2020, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Nonetheless, this is the current BA stance on the matter. I can only suggest that your voice your displeasure by complaining to them as others are doing.
Indeed. In my view, the most galling parts are highlighted red below in BA's communication, which July members who retained their status should point to when complaining:

We’re adding 12 months extra onto your Executive Club membership – so you have more time to enjoy your benefits, whenever you’re ready to fly.

All members will benefit, starting with those who have a Tier Point collection end date of July 2020, through to June 2021.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by cosmo74
This is a good place to start your complaint about the inequalities in the one year extension:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...service-portal

It's best to do it in writing so that you can fully appreciate the ridiculous things you are being told...
And please come back here and share with us the ridiculous things that BA will undoubtedly, desperately, now try to spin.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by alancostello
Forgive my ignorance on this subject but I can't seem to find an answer in the thread (and I tried searching, apologies if I missed it). My Tier Point year ended early May 2020, I had more than enough points to renew as Silver, so that's fine, and my status has been extended to the end of June 2022. Am I right in thinking that I have no tier point obligation in the next 10 months, but in the following year (starting May 2021) I'll just have to collect my normal renewal amount?
You have no TP obligation until 8 May 2021, because your Silver will be extended for one more year until 30 June 2022. To renew Silver after that, you need to collect 450 TPs (not the normal renewal amount, but 25% discounted) between 9 May 2021 and 8 June 2022 and the usual BA eligible flights.
alancostello likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
You have no TP obligation until 8 May 2021, because your Silver will be extended for one more year until 30 June 2022. To renew Silver after that, you need to collect 450 TPs (not the normal renewal amount, but 25% discounted) between 9 May 2021 and 8 June 2022 and the usual BA eligible flights.
Indeed, except of course if the OP had been bronze/blue before.

In fact, the very best situation of all is:
1) given member with a membership year ending 8 June;
2) member only qualified in June 2020 with the reduced threshold or by crediting cancelled flight
3) that gave member, say, silver status but by taking flights immediately after membership renewal on 9/6/2020 or obtaining credit for cancelled flights, gets upgraded to Gold between 9 June and the time BAEC reviews their account,
4) member is thus given new gold status and card valid till 31/7/2022,
5) when BAEC reviews their account, member then benefits from the free extension till 31/7/2023,
6) member will then have a chance to requalify for gold for 1125TPs in 2023-24.

In short, the BAEC status review and extension gives you anywhere between 0 and 47 months (or counting the "reduced accrual" year, anywhere between 0 and 59 months!!!) of benefits depending on which straw you got....

Last edited by orbitmic; Jul 11, 2020 at 1:30 am
Old Jul 11, 2020, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I would tend to side with Nufnuf77.
There is a myriad of different cases and inequalities cannot be avoided. Covid is a major catastrophe and inequalities cannot be avoided.
Some will "benefit" a lot and some very little.
BA has covered many cases with extension, reduced requirements and credit for cancelled flights.
The big winners are those who moved up a tier with and end date July+ and seemed to have gained an extra year compared to those who stayed at same level. That was possibly an IT error ( IT picked the date when status was upgraded, possibly May or June) and the reasonable way to remedy may be to remove that extra year
I feel the pain as wifey year-end is July while mine is May and we both requalified Gold by earning well over 1,500 TPs.

The question might be whether BAEC will need a further "enhancement" in the coming months.
The Covid situation seems to be worsening if anything. The prospects for longhaul travel in in the next 6 months is very bleak.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:38 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I really hope you didn't send this visual to BA. Their view may be, you're a loyal sucker anyway, so why bother?!
Nope.. they were able to look it up Actually I was surprised to see that I still have most of my cards, starting from my first blue card, to the second blue design then on to silver and upwards. I have 2 missing years between 2000 and now!
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Nope.. they were able to look it up Actually I was surprised to see that I still have most of my cards, starting from my first blue card, to the second blue design then on to silver and upwards. I have 2 missing years between 2000 and now!
I'm surprised that there isn't an FT geek thread where people have saved all their cards from the year dot. Oh, wait. I suspect there probably is
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed, except of course if the OP had been bronze/blue before.

In fact, the very best situation of all is:
1) given member with a membership year ending 8 June;
2) member only qualified in June 2020 with the reduced threshold or by crediting cancelled flight
3) that gave member, say, silver status but by taking flights immediately after membership renewal on 9/6/2020 or obtaining credit for cancelled flights, gets upgraded to Gold between 9 June and the time BAEC reviews their account,
4) member is thus given new gold status and card valid till 31/7/2022,
5) when BAEC reviews their account, member then benefits from the free extension till 31/7/2023,
6) member will then have a chance to requalify for gold for 1125TPs in 2023-24.

In short, the BAEC status review and extension gives you anywhere between 0 and 47 months (or counting the "reduced accrual" year, anywhere between 0 and 59 months!!!) of benefits depending on which straw you got....
I'm not entirely sure about point 5 and 6 on this. To follow your points with my experience -

1. I am one of those 8 June people, who had enough TPs to retain Silver at renewal.
2. When the TPs were reset to zero on 8 June, I continued to be Silver with an expiry of 31 July 2021.
3. My extension was processed and my card was extended to to 31 July 2022 (on 29th June along with others)
4. The following day I was raised to Gold based on cancelled flights, with the date remaining 31 July 2022.

Per your 5, why would BA review my account and extend me again? They have no reason to look at my account again, so I think you might be wrong here. Happy to be corrected, I mean, if I get yet another year, I won't complain, but I honestly can't see it happening. From telephone calls, I understand the upgrade was deliberately processed after the card extension, perhaps to stop what you posit happening.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: BA GGL
The annoying this is that you benefit from the extra years extension if you had upgraded your tier prior to the BA system update. If you are to move up to a new tier between now and the end of your year end, no extra year.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I'm not entirely sure about point 5 and 6 on this. To follow your points with my experience -

1. I am one of those 8 June people, who had enough TPs to retain Silver at renewal.
2. When the TPs were reset to zero on 8 June, I continued to be Silver with an expiry of 31 July 2021.
3. My extension was processed and my card was extended to to 31 July 2022 (on 29th June along with others)
4. The following day I was raised to Gold based on cancelled flights, with the date remaining 31 July 2022.

Per your 5, why would BA review my account and extend me again? They have no reason to look at my account again, so I think you might be wrong here. Happy to be corrected, I mean, if I get yet another year, I won't complain, but I honestly can't see it happening. From telephone calls, I understand the upgrade was deliberately processed after the card extension, perhaps to stop what you posit happening.
They will not revisit your account but your case is different from the one I described. the difference is that in your case, you got upgraded to Gold AFTER your extension was processed so you won’t get any further.

in the example I gave I’m talking of someone who got status upgrades after the start of their membership year but BEFORE the extension is processed. I know at least one person with May membership in exactly the case I described, but I’m sure there must be some off June membership one too even though it obviously left them very little time to qualify for higher status before getting their status extended...
Old Jul 11, 2020, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
They will not revisit your account but your case is different from the one I described. the difference is that in your case, you got upgraded to Gold AFTER your extension was processed so you won’t get any further.

in the example I gave I’m talking of someone who got status upgrades after the start of their membership year but BEFORE the extension is processed. I know at least one person with May membership in exactly the case I described, but I’m sure there must be some off June membership one too even though it obviously left them very little time to qualify for higher status before getting their status extended...
I understand what you mean. Either way, great news for the 14 or so people out of the millions of members that would have benefited
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Both myself and my wife finished our year on 8th June. My wife was silver and I was gold. We both had 950 TP and were able to provide booking refs for enough flights that we had cancelled that would have got us past 1500.

The agent on the phone explained that I would renew gold and my wife would be upgraded to gold - result. Literally days after being told this we learned on the extra year - another result.

Yet a month later my card still have a Jul 20 expiry date where as my wife’s is indeed valid through to Jul 22. I called a couple of weeks back and was told the renewal was approved and I need to be patient. Problem is, I’m not that patient!

I also have a look weekend in IST departing on 31st July so I don’t want to be silver for my return.

Should I call again or should I just be patient?
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I would call again. The one-off batch of upgrades and extensions was completed in June.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

As we are still receiving posts from members seeking clarity on how they will benefit from last month's tier extensions, I distilled the very informative summary corporate-wage-slave posted (here) into a graph, as you can see below. This also puts my own knowledge to the test

The graph covers simple renewal milestones (collection year start/end dates) onto a blue bar (mid blue represents your current membership year; dark blue represents the 12 month extension). This does not touch the effect tier jumps have on the extension end dates. You can find confirmation of the extension being added to your BAEC account via "My Executive Club" this is signified by the "Card expiry date"

I will add the graph to the wiki
Old Jul 11, 2020, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
I will add the graph to the wiki
Well done... and thus, everyone received a 12 month extension as promised.

This thread is a great lesson in how people over complicate things.
wilsnunn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.