Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by zen100
So the reduced tier points should also apply, as long as you rack up those tier points by the end of June - at least that's how we think it works. So you only need 450tps to get to Silver.

Book your 5+ day BA holiday to start anytime in March, after the 9th - that will yield 480 tier points - enough for Silver alone with the reduced TPs.

It doesn't matter that the double tier points take a month to get posted - as long as they come through before the end of June.
Cheers, do you know how long silver status would last if booked after March 9th then? I can’t work out if it’s 2 years given the 12 month extension + awarded status for the next year anyway.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by jamestg
Apologies my TP collection end is 8 March 2022, and card expiry (currently blue) is 30 April 2022.

Currently looking at a MAN-LHR-ATH CE trip to get to silver from blue. I would have enough to reach bronze after the outward journey (from double TP offer).
Ah, I guess as a Blue you didn't benefit from the just announced extensions

That being the case, you have the normal situation for anyone going up a tier. That is, you enjoy the earned tier for the remainder of your current year and the next year.

So let's say you do that flight, I'm guessing as a BA holiday since you say double TP. (Do check the T&C's!). That will be 480 TP and get you Silver at the reduced rate.

So that will be for this TP year and next. This year ends Mar 22, next Mar '23.

Now for historic reasons, membership lasts a bit longer, so in fact Silver would last until 30th April 23.

Hope that helps
​​​​​​
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger

That being the case, you have the normal situation for anyone going up a tier. That is, you enjoy the earned tier for the remainder of your current year and the next year.

So let's say you do that flight, I'm guessing as a BA holiday since you say double TP. (Do check the T&C's!). That will be 480 TP and get you Silver at the reduced rate.

Now for historic reasons, membership lasts a bit longer, so in fact Silver would last until 30th April 23.

Hope that helps
​​​​​​
Oh no! I guess piggy-backing off multiple offers wouldn’t work.

Currently have 1 long haul PE trip booked and a further 2 with domestic connections planned which would get to silver again for another year. Here’s to further COVID easing!
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by jamestg
Oh no! I guess piggy-backing off multiple offers wouldn’t work.

Currently have 1 long haul PE trip booked and a further 2 with domestic connections planned which would get to silver again for another year. Here’s to further COVID easing!
It might do, but again, at the risk of channeling c-w-s, specific details will get specific answers.

There are cleverer people than myself who can give lots of good advice on how to optimise TP earning and extending status, but it does need specifics. If you can say what you're aiming for, what you have booked, when you hope to get new status etc, then I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger

Hope that helps
​​​​​​
But if he holds off until the start of the next collection year, and racks up 450 in the first month (March 22), then he will effectively have Silver status for 2 years, the rest of that year (22/23), plus the following year (23/24).

That's assuming the reduced tier points works how we think it does.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:21 pm

But if he holds off until the start of the next collection year, and racks up 450 in the first month (March 22), then he will effectively have Silver status for 2 years, the rest of that year (22/23), plus the following year (23/24).

Yes, agreed.

That's why specifics helps. It could be better for them to delay the flights depending on travel patterns.

PS: At the risk of being a pedant, he could be a she, name notwithstanding. (That's basically a reminder to me to check my assumptions, not a criticism of your post)
alex67500 and The_Editor like this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au

no. It should be to 24/25. Silver in new earning year of 22/23 will give you an expiry of March 2024. Plus. A year extension = March 2025

edit. That might not work with a Blue but would for a bronze and above.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 1:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver

This is correct, it would not extend to March 25.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
It won’t show just yet. I suspect they will process them over the next week or so.
Thanks KARFA. Indeed, it shows now
Old Sep 27, 2021, 10:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
I really don't think it will play out this way because for renewals the qualification threshold is tied to the collection year end date. So with your example, what matters is the number of TPs accrued on 8 July 2022. In this instance a Silver member will need 600 TPs to keep the tier
I think my situation contradicts your statement. My year ends 8 July and they are still quoting the lower requirements.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:01 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I think my situation contradicts your statement. My year ends 8 July and they are still quoting the lower requirements.
My August 8th renewal for 2022 is also showing the lower requirements.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:23 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I suspect BA IT has the current 'one brush for all' approach set to 30th June 2022. On the 1st July that will presumably be manually changed, again for all.
I believe anyone who achieves the lower threshold (75%) prior to that will be awarded the relevant status. The system will have been triggered. I doubt it would 'downgrade' status due to 1st to 8th July (onwards) lacking the required number of TPs (100%).
Having a small window for reduced TP requirement makes no sense anyway, as it sits outside of alignment with those given status extension. Really those who fall foul of the extension should be given reduced target for their full EC year, others should not. But that'll never happen.
​​​​​​
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I’m going to assume that the lower TP thresholds will only run until end June 22 and plan accordingly between revenue and reward flights, if I want to retain Silver or try for Gold based on those, in the absence of any absolute clarity from BAEC?
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Alan T
I’m going to assume that the lower TP thresholds will only run until end June 22 and plan accordingly between revenue and reward flights, if I want to retain Silver or try for Gold based on those, in the absence of any absolute clarity from BAEC?
That's my working assumption too. There is some doubt over whether renewals (as opposed to upgrades) will happen at the reduced TP target, but we should know within a month, thanks to SonicStar817. See their post here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33584340-post3706.html

If their experience indicates that the full amounts are required for renewal, that's early enough for me to bail out of revenue bookings and burn down the Avios instead, if I feel that's the best approach (I suspect it will be)
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:14 am

Programs: BA - Bronze , IHG - Spire Ambassador, Hilton - Diamond
I imagine BA telling someone they'd retained status and then after June changing to say oh no you haven't actually you need more TP wouldn't go down too well for the company image. Not that worries about image generally stop them of course
alex67500 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.