Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
WHAT'S OPEN IN T5?

Current to 14 January 2022. Changes from previous update in red where applicable.

Landside - Departures
Boots
Caffè Nero
Excess Baggage (both units in Zones B and F)
Excess Baggage Wrap
Kanishka Kitchen
Travelex
WHSmith (both units in Zones C and H) - including Post Office in WHSmith Zone H

Landside - Arrivals
Boots
Bradley Smith Hair Express Bar
Caffè Nero (both units North and South)
Costa Coffee
Excess Baggage
Hotel Reservations / Sim Local
Marks and Spencer
Travelex
WHSmith

Airside - T5A Upper Level
Accessorize
Boots
Dixons Travel
Giraffe
Glorious Britain
Gordon Ramsay Plane Food
Harrods
The Harry Potter Shop
The Macallan Boutique
Travelex
Wagamama
WHSmith
World Duty Free Tobacco

Airside - T5A Gate Level
Be Relax
Boots
Bottega Venetta
Bulgari
Burberry
Cartier
Case
Caviar House & Prunier Seafood Bar
Chanel
Dior
Dixons Travel
Fortnum & Mason
Gucci
Hermès
Hugo Boss
InMotion
Itsu
Kurt Geiger
Louis Vuitton
Orlebar Brown
Paul Smith
Pilots Bar & Kitchen
Prada
Pret a Manger (both Main and Express units)
Ray-Ban
Reiss
Rituals
Rolex
Smythson
Starbucks
Sunglass Hut
Ted Baker
The Crown Rivers (JD Wetherspoon)
Tiffany & Co.
Travelex
Watches of Switzerland
WHSmith (both North and South units)
WHSmith Bookshop
World of Whiskies
World Duty Free (all units - Collection, Main, North, Perfumerie)

Airside - T5B
Boots
Dixons Travel
Sim Local
Starbucks
Sunglass Hut
WHSmith
World Duty Free

Airside - T5C
Boots
Starbucks
WHSmith
World Duty Free

Airside - Arrivals
World Duty Free (both North and South units)

Print Wikipost

COVID-19 and BA: Using Heathrow T5

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Slightly tangentially to T5: Boots have announced they will close most of their LHR shops except T5 from April 15th. From https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/11357...y-pharmacists/
Closing on April 15
  • Heathrow T2 BS arrivals
  • Heathrow T3 AS
  • Heathrow T3 BS depart
  • Heathrow T4 AS
  • Heathrow T4 BS arrivals
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by flatlander
Slightly tangentially to T5: Boots have announced they will close most of their LHR shops except T5 from April 15th. From https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/11357...y-pharmacists/
The Sun
The reason the T3 and T4 stores are closing is because the T3 and 4 are closing. I guess sales in T2 arrivals must be too slow to bother with (presumably because meet and greet is discouraged).
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by layz
The Sun
The reason the T3 and T4 stores are closing is because the T3 and 4 are closing. I guess sales in T2 arrivals must be too slow to bother with (presumably because meet and greet is discouraged).
Yeah, I know, but it was the highest quality national journalism source I could find with a list. However, anyone thinking "I'll go elsewhere in Heathrow than T5 for what I need" might get a surprise.

Further away from T5, Aberdeen airport Boots is also on the list.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:51 pm

FYi, the Aeropod will be closed April 30 through June 30. I just received an email cancelling a May 14 booking.

Last post on this thread is April 9. Does anyone have updated info on what else is still open for transit passengers? Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Travelinangel
FYi, the Aeropod will be closed April 30 through June 30. I just received an email cancelling a May 14 booking.

Last post on this thread is April 9. Does anyone have updated info on what else is still open for transit passengers? Thanks!
Just Boots and WH Smith are open airside. I've been keeping the first post updated with changes along the way.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:28 pm

Sorry--I was meaning to inquire about hotels. Good to know Boots and WHSmith are open airside!
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Travelinangel
Sorry--I was meaning to inquire about hotels. Good to know Boots and WHSmith are open airside!
OK, well the Thistle was unofficially open until a week ago but I've been told they too are now closed apart from some long term residents. I think it's still worth calling them, I haven't needed to use a LHR hotel recently. However the number of people overnighting in T2 and T5 is much higher than normal (it was somewhat discouraged previously) but now HAL are handing out blankets and water bottles to people spending the night there. This is being done on the Arrrivals floor in T5 (there aren't many seats in Departures) and similarly in T2.

The Reading and Marble Arch Doubletree hotels are also open, but you should call the hotel first and then book online. Marble Arch is a 15 minute walk from Paddington (for HEX) or a 5 minute bus nearly door to door. The DT Angel Islington is also open but they are focused on London vistors for key services (NHS and government workers in other words).

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 27, 2020 at 4:43 pm
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:58 pm

I had a friend stay at the Hilton Garden Inn (the Hatton Cross one) last week - so it was still open. Though things change rapidly so would always recommend calling directly as corporate-wage-slave says!
Old May 2, 2020, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
OK, well the Thistle was unofficially open until a week ago but I've been told they too are now closed apart from some long term residents.
This made me curious about who stays long term in an airport hotel!
Old May 2, 2020, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greenchicken
This made me curious about who stays long term in an airport hotel!
There are those who work locally in key roles, either temporarily or in some longer term arrangement, but whose family home is somewhere else. Plus I'm told some people simply can't get back to their home countries and are staying in the Heathrow area until a flight option becomes available.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:02 am
Original Poster

I have been keeping post 1 up to date with various changes, but I'm going to highlight a few recent aspects.
- since the weekend the T4 loop on the Piccadilly line has been closed, with services redeployed to T5. This means the T5 service is at least as good as it was before March.
- POD parking is now closed
- Face masks: the HAL website gives the impression that face masks aren't actively encouraged at LHR, whereas in reality since yesterday the staff at the front checkpoint for T5 (and T2) are requiring people to wear them at least during security checks. They do have some available to hand out free of charge, and they are OK with personal face coverings instead. There is currently no requirement to wear them on BA services, I would guess that about half of passengers at least board wearig maks, perhaps falling to a third once seated.

EDIT: I have been contacted by HAL, who said that the agents concerned were running ahead of HAL's own policies in respect of face masks. There is currently no requirement to wear face mask at LHR.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 27, 2020 at 5:07 am
Old May 24, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Came out of T5 on way to AMS today, no face masks expected or available at security. At the Zone H check-in desk I asked if any were available as that was what I had heard and the reply was that ‘I think there are some available downstairs near the lift’
Not a lot of help for people coming in the door from the drop off ramp. Security queues were light though spacing between the zig zag queues could have been wider, as in while in the queue in one direction you practically rubbed shoulders with people queuing the opposite direction. Queues at the gates were longer but spacing was better. Only 1 airside WHSmiths and Boots were open, both near the low numbered A gates.
Surprisingly the form you are required to complete before boarding to AMS, and if any questions were answered ‘Yes’ (such as I have a cough) you are not allowed to board the plane, was only given out after final boarding pass and identity check with the comment ‘complete this on the plane before you land’
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
CCR

Has BA said anything about when it may reopen? In July?
Old Jun 21, 2020, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Has BA said anything about when it may reopen? In July?
No, nothing official, but subject to government regulation amendments, there may be some sort of limited CCR provision after England enters Step 3. See also:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...eculation.html
Dicksbits likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Any idea on when the normal shops and food places (e.g. pret for take-away, etc.) will open as they are now allowed to since June 15? Or is the demand not there to open yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.