Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:30 pm

Hi. I have a domestic connecting (with stopovers at LHR) to international return soon. The domestics have schedule changes. The final return domestic flight has been brought forward by 2 hrs 15 mins. Is this fine for requesting a full refund rather than ANOTHER FTV? Thanks.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
you would need a schedule change of 4 hours or more now to be able to request a full refund.

this changed from 2 hours in late september https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32709124-post4001.html
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by boonkoh
(Found out the answer from BA Call Center. See bottom of post)

Outbound flight LHR to MLE got cancelled. This was a 241 voucher Avios redemption booking.

Tried to select new dates in the online tool, but it keeps telling me there is no availability. I searched through the normal cash booking engine, and there are seats available for cash. Tried multiple dates, no luck.
Also checked dates with Avios availability (to see if its just a cash vs Avios availability thing) but also keep getting the same message.

Anyone know if this is a bug or something I need to do different?

Don't want to have to call the BA line and be on hold for ages if I can get this rebooking done online.

Answer: I was told by BA call center that they can only rebook to any available class in the same cabin, only within 14 days of original flight. If other dates, it needed to be X class as that was my redemption class.
well the policy is for a cancelled flight you can rebook for any date up to a year from when you originally made the booking. You do not need reward availability, just space in the cabin. Through various revisions this has been the policy since July.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by boonkoh
(Found out the answer from BA Call Center. See bottom of post)

Outbound flight LHR to MLE got cancelled. This was a 241 voucher Avios redemption booking.

Tried to select new dates in the online tool, but it keeps telling me there is no availability. I searched through the normal cash booking engine, and there are seats available for cash. Tried multiple dates, no luck.
Also checked dates with Avios availability (to see if its just a cash vs Avios availability thing) but also keep getting the same message.

Anyone know if this is a bug or something I need to do different?

Don't want to have to call the BA line and be on hold for ages if I can get this rebooking done online.

Answer: I was told by BA call center that they can only rebook to any available class in the same cabin, only within 14 days of original flight. If other dates, it needed to be X class as that was my redemption class.
I’m in the same position. Flew out to MLE in F on the 5th. Scheduled to return on the 16th and just received cancellation email. No availability comes up using the online rebooking options.

If we wanted to stay until the 16th or close to that, will they offer a rerouting option with Qatar does anyone know? Trying to figure out if my 11 day holiday must be cut short or not...
Old Nov 6, 2020, 5:31 am

I assume BA has a duty of care for those stranded. I actually don’t expect that BA will be very liberal at a) rebooking onto other carriers or b) refunding accommodation and meal costs for a rather long additional stay given that these drain cash.

Does anyone have any experiences with claiming accommodation& food expenses from BA for e.g. 2 weeks? I would assume if they delay your journey home by e.g. 2 weeks they would be required to compensate you for your stay if they don’t offer you a rerouting under comparable conditions. Or am I wrong about this?

My only experience with them is a one night stay (actually we had to leave one day early, I don’t think this would have fallen under EU261) and after some initial hesitation from their side they ended up refunding us for the one night we couldn’t stay. That was pre-corona though.

While I feel for BA as this is somewhat out of their control, someone in revenue management will have run the numbers and decided that its cost effective to cancel, well knowing that they ll have to pay for rerouting and/or accommodation for some share of these passengers.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
I would have thought a duty of care would be restricted in the amount you can spend; it doesn't automatically mean you can stay in the resort you chose for your holiday, without having to foot some of the bill. I've seen £200 a night mentioned on the forum before, so you may need to move to a cheaper place, if your dream holiday included an expensive hotel.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
When EC261/2004 applies, BA has no other choice other than to rebook those affected passengers to another airline or providing hotel accommodation plus meals until the rebooked flight.
I don't know how many of the people here would deal with EC261/2004 complaints to the appropriate government body in the UK or in a legal jurisdiction but if you complain to the relevant place or go to court, you would definitely get what you want.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 5:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Graeme Underwood
I’m in the same position. Flew out to MLE in F on the 5th. Scheduled to return on the 16th and just received cancellation email. No availability comes up using the online rebooking options.

If we wanted to stay until the 16th or close to that, will they offer a rerouting option with Qatar does anyone know? Trying to figure out if my 11 day holiday must be cut short or not...
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Graeme Underwood.

It's not clear to me if you are on a commercial (cash) booking, a redemption (Avios) booking or BA Holidays (inclusive tour), and these all make a difference. Rather than go through all the scenarios, they should allow you to switch to Qatar, but there are some complications given all the variables. The best thing to do is to use Skype to call the right part of BA, with your preferred option on QR written out and hopefully it will be easy to do.
Larad84 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:09 am

I called up BA on the 0800 number this morning to request a refund for a cancelled cash flight booking. I’ve received a confirmation email with subject ‘cancellation and refund Ref PNR’ The email states passenger names and ticket numbers but does not state the amount that will be refunded. Last week I cancelled a BA Holidays standalone hotel booking and the cancellation email did state the refund amount. Should the flight booking cancellation email state the refund amount?
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:15 am

Does anyone have any experience with a flight showing cancelled in flight status but not on Manage My Booking, Ba are trying to tell me its showing cancelled by mistake but all the flights on this leg (Heathrow to Aberdeen) are also showing cancelled from 10 nov onwards - if I wait until they officially cancel it I could get stuck in London ? Is this a ploy to make me
pay to change the flight instead of waiting for them to “officially” cancel it ?
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
I called up BA on the 0800 number this morning to request a refund for a cancelled cash flight booking. I’ve received a confirmation email with subject ‘cancellation and refund Ref PNR’ The email states passenger names and ticket numbers but does not state the amount that will be refunded. Last week I cancelled a BA Holidays standalone hotel booking and the cancellation email did state the refund amount. Should the flight booking cancellation email state the refund amount?
That's a bit odd, but I suspect what will happen is in a few days (assuming this was a simple booking which you didn't subsequently alter) you will get a refund to the original form of payment for the full amount. If it was Amex, a couple of days should do it. Other cards seem to take slightly longer. If you had a precise amount and a 125 number on the email then that would have been an eVoucher, but the usual cancelled for refund emails I get aren't as you have described them. If you heard the words "back office" then it's going to take longer.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Sarah R
Does anyone have any experience with a flight showing cancelled in flight status but not on Manage My Booking, Ba are trying to tell me its showing cancelled by mistake but all the flights on this leg (Heathrow to Aberdeen) are also showing cancelled from 10 nov onwards - if I wait until they officially cancel it I could get stuck in London ? Is this a ploy to make me
pay to change the flight instead of waiting for them to “officially” cancel it ?
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Sarah R. If you want to give the date and flight number I can check to see if there is a cancellation, but in essence if you could now make a new booking for the flight on BA.com then as things stand the flight is operating. You may be able to move flights via MMB. I doubt you will get stuck in London; Apart from the EDI flights, there is a regular train service to Aberdeen which is operating. It won't be a ploy, after a while the various IT limitations of BA will become more evident to you.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Sarah R. If you want to give the date and flight number I can check to see if there is a cancellation, but in essence if you could now make a new booking for the flight on BA.com then as things stand the flight is operating. You may be able to move flights via MMB. I doubt you will get stuck in London; Apart from the EDI flights, there is a regular train service to Aberdeen which is operating. It won't be a ploy, after a while the various IT limitations of BA will become more evident to you.
oh thank you so much - it’s BA1314 flying on Tuesday 10 November - the thing that worries me is all flights between Heathrow and Aberdeen are showing cancelled from this date and on the next day ! Is it possible they’re all showing cancelled by mistake ?
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Graeme Underwood.

It's not clear to me if you are on a commercial (cash) booking, a redemption (Avios) booking or BA Holidays (inclusive tour), and these all make a difference. Rather than go through all the scenarios, they should allow you to switch to Qatar, but there are some complications given all the variables. The best thing to do is to use Skype to call the right part of BA, with your preferred option on QR written out and hopefully it will be easy to do.
Thank you for the reply. We’re on an Avios booking with an Amex 2 for 1. I called You First earlier and after a bit of conversation was rebooked onto QR on the 16th out of MLE. Their preference was for me to take the last BA flight out in a couple of days but pushed back as we’ve just arrived.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Sarah R
oh thank you so much - it’s BA1314 flying on Tuesday 10 November - the thing that worries me is all flights between Heathrow and Aberdeen are showing cancelled from this date and on the next day ! Is it possible they’re all showing cancelled by mistake ?
Where exactly are you seeing them showing as cancelled? I've looked on BA.com, BA.com/schedules, Amadeus and the Heathrow system and they all show 3 flights with availability on BA on Tuesday 10 November, including BA1314. I've got the bucket availability as:
J9 C9 D0 R0 I0 Y9 B7 H2 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 O0 Q9 S9 G9
which means not full, but BA want to sell more expensive tickets at this point before perhaps cutting fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.