Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2020, 8:48 am
TSE

Programs: BA, LH, AF, TK
Looking for advice for the following before I attempt to contact BA: Booked a one way redemption (2 adults and one infant on same PNR) from LHR-DME for the last week of November. BA have cancelled all Moscow flights until mid-December. Mother (Russian) and child (Russian/British) would like to return to Russia as close to the original booked date as possible. Father (British) needs a new Russian visa so now plans to fly mid December.

I assume that firstly I will have to split the booking onto separate PNRs. This is complicated by the fact that the infant is linked to the father in the booking and the mother has a different surname. Can BA change this if I provide them with the child's Russian birth certificate (and certified translation)?
Aeroflot flights to Moscow are still bookable this month and that may be the only easy alternative to BA as Russia still has banned most Europeans from entering. Are BA likely to allow this? The alternative would be to use the redemption flight on another occasion as it was booked during the sale and therefore a refund is not desirable.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 8:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TSE
Looking for advice for the following before I attempt to contact BA: Booked a one way redemption (2 adults and one infant on same PNR) from LHR-DME for the last week of November. BA have cancelled all Moscow flights until mid-December. Mother (Russian) and child (Russian/British) would like to return to Russia as close to the original booked date as possible. Father (British) needs a new Russian visa so now plans to fly mid December.

I assume that firstly I will have to split the booking onto separate PNRs. This is complicated by the fact that the infant is linked to the father in the booking and the mother has a different surname. Can BA change this if I provide them with the child's Russian birth certificate (and certified translation)?
Aeroflot flights to Moscow are still bookable this month and that may be the only easy alternative to BA as Russia still has banned most Europeans from entering. Are BA likely to allow this? The alternative would be to use the redemption flight on another occasion as it was booked during the sale and therefore a refund is not desirable.
Yes you can split the reservation into two, that is easy to do unless there is a Companion Voucher in the mix. I don't know about the infant switch process, but I don't think that is problematic, there is no requirement for surnames to match, in some countries such as Iceland and Spain it is the norm for names to change down the generations. In any event it's OK for family members to travel with children, they don't have to be the birth parents. BA won't book you on to Aeroflot at this remove. But you could change to another date quite easily if your flights are cancelled.
TSE likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 2:26 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by gallagher
I have a December LHR-FARO cancellation (both outbound and inbound cancelled - was a simple cash booking in Economy outbound and Club Europe inbound).
Wanted to move my flights to April 2021 but most dates I choose it says no flights available even though BA is still selling multiple flights on those days. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks FT
i called BA and I was told that I could have a cash refund, voucher or book onto any FAO flights within 14 ays. Outside of 14 days I’d need the same fare buckets available.
I booked very cheap tickets in the last sale and am finding it very difficult to find any flights available to me. I can’t find my booking class online nor on my confirmation email.

any tips on how to do this please?
Old Nov 8, 2020, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Looking for advice: BA1417 on 2/12 and BA1420 on 5/12 both cancelled. I do that route frequently so would happily rebook for future dates, a few days later or months ahead, but BA agent has just said she can't do either because the ticket is now almost a year old and expires on 3/12 which, apparently, prevents her from rebooking (even though both sectors cancelled). Is it correct that she can't rebook for any future date and if so, what are my options? It's a travel agent booking made by an agent in the GCC.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gallagher
i called BA and I was told that I could have a cash refund, voucher or book onto any FAO flights within 14 ays. Outside of 14 days I’d need the same fare buckets available.
I booked very cheap tickets in the last sale and am finding it very difficult to find any flights available to me. I can’t find my booking class online nor on my confirmation email.

any tips on how to do this please?
If you have had a cancellation then in fact the Customer Guidance allows for a one year rebooking period, starting from the time of the original booking, and regardless of fare bucket. So it may just be easiest to ring again and see if you get an agent more familiar with the guidance. If the flight is cancelled it may be tricky to find your booking class, but it may show on a "more information" hyperlink on the flight details. And you can use Expertflyer for help finding that bucket, or just ask here with some date ranges and someone will check for you. But that should not be necessary, the 14 day rule has been expanded to 1 year. I would only ring if you have specific dates in mind, which are viable, so making a maybe booking in say February would not be sensible in my view.
gallagher likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by southsquare
Looking for advice: BA1417 on 2/12 and BA1420 on 5/12 both cancelled. I do that route frequently so would happily rebook for future dates, a few days later or months ahead, but BA agent has just said she can't do either because the ticket is now almost a year old and expires on 3/12 which, apparently, prevents her from rebooking (even though both sectors cancelled). Is it correct that she can't rebook for any future date and if so, what are my options? It's a travel agent booking made by an agent in the GCC.
This is correct, and regardless of the pandemic is one of the problems with making bookings way in advance. It's kind of an IATA protocol, there is some wriggle room if you have already flown one sector, but not if you haven't flown any sector. So you are best to go for the refund or FTV via the travel agent. If the agent is any good they will give you a swift refund, but of course this isn't always the case. Thinking laterally, you mentioned elsewhere you are making regular flights on this sector, is there scope for a shuffle? So ask for a FTV on one of your November flights, for use later on, but then to bring forward the December flights to replace them?
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Why is BA forcing me to call them to cancel my Avios booking and get my miles back? When I try to cancel I get directed to the voucher page; I don't want a voucher. If their call volumes are so high, why are they making it worse on themselves by removing the redeposit flow from the website? I hope I won't have to fight with them about the 25 USD phone service fee when I finally get through.

Anyway, I suppose my question is (since I've been on hold for a long time and may need to give up), is there a way to access online the old flow to cancel an Avios booking with the redeposit fee, rather than this new voucher? I don't feel great taking space in the queue from people who may have travel imminently, but I need these Avios back to book something.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Why is BA forcing me to call them to cancel my Avios booking and get my miles back? When I try to cancel I get directed to the voucher page; I don't want a voucher. If their call volumes are so high, why are they making it worse on themselves by removing the redeposit flow from the website? I hope I won't have to fight with them about the 25 USD phone service fee when I finally get through.

Anyway, I suppose my question is (since I've been on hold for a long time and may need to give up), is there a way to access online the old flow to cancel an Avios booking with the redeposit fee, rather than this new voucher? I don't feel great taking space in the queue from people who may have travel imminently, but I need these Avios back to book something.
No there is no online way and you are only supposed to be calling if your flight is within 72 hours. I know it's a risk but Avios bookings are wide open so it could probably wait, or you could try to be creative with getting Avios from Amex or similar. The issue of having to ring up has been well aired, but there are enough people who have complained about getting FTVs that I'm not sure that keeping the online facility would help, in some cases they would get a Voluntary Refund, and my experience here is that many travellers can't tell the difference between a voluntary or involuntary refund. It used to cause some bad things when USA citizens went for the online refund when their fare rules allowed for FTVs, before the pandemic. The telephone service charge should be waived.

If the flight is cancelled by BA you get a full refund. If you don't want to travel on a flight not cancelled then you can get a refund minus the USD55 fee, so the general advice is to wait.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:41 am

BA2158 UVF-LGW 9th Nov cancelled?

I am on the above flight. BA app says it is cancelled. I have not (yet?) received an email and curiously when I log into my BA exec account via the website (i.e. not app) the booking looks fine. A dummy search whilst not logged in shows BA is still selling this flight. So it this a glitch with the app? Or should I be worried and calling BA? Any advice would be most welcome.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Banie
I am on the above flight. BA app says it is cancelled. I have not (yet?) received an email and curiously when I log into my BA exec account via the website (i.e. not app) the booking looks fine. A dummy search whilst not logged in shows BA is still selling this flight. So it this a glitch with the app? Or should I be worried and calling BA? Any advice would be most welcome.
It's not cancelled at the moment, and you can get that for sure tomorrow this time when you see if the outbound is departing to UVF. The best comsumer friendly place to check this is
ba.com/schedules
This is linked - albeit very indirectly - to DCS data, so it's likely to be correct, the other version, in the App, the Flight Status line. There have been a few cases of this happening, and it seems App cache related, what you see in the App isn't necessarily real time. If you finger down the panel you may be able to refresh the cache, or if you log out and re-enter. That said there are lots of cancellations at the moment, so you are right to keep checking. I doubt a longhaul will be cancelled at 24 hours unless there is another factor.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 4:05 am

Thank you CWS

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's not cancelled at the moment, and you can get that for sure tomorrow this time when you see if the outbound is departing to UVF. The best comsumer friendly place to check this is
ba.com/schedules
This is linked - albeit very indirectly - to DCS data, so it's likely to be correct, the other version, in the App, the Flight Status line. There have been a few cases of this happening, and it seems App cache related, what you see in the App isn't necessarily real time. If you finger down the panel you may be able to refresh the cache, or if you log out and re-enter. That said there are lots of cancellations at the moment, so you are right to keep checking. I doubt a longhaul will be cancelled at 24 hours unless there is another factor.
Much appreciated
Old Nov 8, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
If you have had a cancellation then in fact the Customer Guidance allows for a one year rebooking period, starting from the time of the original booking, and regardless of fare bucket. So it may just be easiest to ring again and see if you get an agent more familiar with the guidance. If the flight is cancelled it may be tricky to find your booking class, but it may show on a "more information" hyperlink on the flight details. And you can use Expertflyer for help finding that bucket, or just ask here with some date ranges and someone will check for you. But that should not be necessary, the 14 day rule has been expanded to 1 year. I would only ring if you have specific dates in mind, which are viable, so making a maybe booking in say February would not be sensible in my view.
I called back and all sorted to my preferred April dates in 2 mins. Thanks CWS
Old Nov 8, 2020, 2:13 pm

If you have had a cancellation then in fact the Customer Guidance allows for a one year rebooking period, starting from the time of the original booking, and regardless of fare
i have a question regarding the difference between General Customer Guidelines and Covid Principle Guidelines and when they are applied:
if I understand correctly, under the former, there are 10 options to rebook when BA cancels a flight, each with its own restrictions and criteria, including the ability to rebook onto any other airline. I assume this is applied to situations when a flight is cancelled shortly before departure for any number of reasons. The latter is specifically for flights that have been cancelled due to Covid and rebooking is restricted to only other BA flights.
This is my understanding after reading the Trade Support website.
Am I understanding the text correctly?
Old Nov 8, 2020, 2:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
i have a question regarding the difference between General Customer Guidelines and Covid Principle Guidelines and when they are applied:
if I understand correctly, under the former, there are 10 options to rebook when BA cancels a flight, each with its own restrictions and criteria, including the ability to rebook onto any other airline. I assume this is applied to situations when a flight is cancelled shortly before departure for any number of reasons. The latter is specifically for flights that have been cancelled due to Covid and rebooking is restricted to only other BA flights.
This is my understanding after reading the Trade Support website.
Am I understanding the text correctly?
As you noted that the option to rebook on to any other airline under standard guidelines is only within 24hrs of original cancelled flight though. Beyond that timeframe it is much more restrictive when it comes to use of other airlines.

I don't think coronavirus specific guidelines are stricter when it comes to rebooking on other airlines. In fact there are a number of additional coronavirus guidelines - many route/region specific - which allow rebooking on to other airlines including some non partner and non oneworld ones. Also bear in mind standard guidelines still apply, they are merely supplemented by the coronavirus general and country specific guidelines at the moment, not replaced by them.

EDIT: also to add some detail about the question cws was responding to. The extended booking allowance for rebooking up to ticket validity without regard to same selling class availability is for BA cancelled flights only and for rebooking on the same route on BA flights. This is well beyond standard guidelines which would only allow rebooking -3/+14 days from the original cancelled BA flight without regard to same selling class availability.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
As you noted that the option to rebook on to any other airline under standard guidelines is only within 24hrs of original cancelled flight though. Beyond that timeframe it is much more restrictive when it comes to use of other airlines.

I don't think coronavirus specific guidelines are stricter when it comes to rebooking on other airlines. In fact there are a number of additional coronavirus guidelines - many route/region specific - which allow rebooking on to other airlines including some non partner and non oneworld ones. Also bear in mind standard guidelines still apply, they are merely supplemented by the coronavirus general and country specific guidelines at the moment, not replaced by them.

EDIT: also to add some detail about the question cws was responding to. The extended booking allowance for rebooking up to ticket validity without regard to same selling class availability is for BA cancelled flights only and for rebooking on the same route on BA flights. This is well beyond standard guidelines which would only allow rebooking -3/+14 days from the original cancelled BA flight without regard to same selling class availability.
thanks for the detailed response, the 24h to get more flexibility in rebooking options means calling them to request the rebooking <24h before original scheduled departure and not flight has to be cancelled <24h before original scheduled departure, right?
considering we are not supposed to call >72h before originally scheduled departure to request changes, it shouldn’t make too much of a difference to wait another 2 days to call within 24h...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.