Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Dec 28, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I went through the guidelines, and though China Southern was a valid option earlier in the crisis, the guidelines were reviewed a few weeks ago, I couldn't find a specific entitlement for flights to PVG at the moment, since their direct flights aren't operating either. This may be a case where further options will become available over the next few days, this has happened fairly quickly. The OTA should liaise with BA to see whether another routing works, but - well - it's not worth repeating really but using OTAs comes with well known disadvantages, the biggest of which is that if there are irrops then you may be stuck. LH is an option for short haul only.

If the traveller asks for a refund (and they should think carefully about this since they then become a former customer) then the extra baggage fee would be refunded too.
Ok so ... new complications.

Only direct flights permitted by Chinese govt (needs a covid test in city of departure, and a stopover makes it invalid). The embassy is ofcourse closed and unable to offer any advice / assistance.

Direct flights resume 10th of January.

First economy seat available for purchase on BA is the 31st of January.

There are 2 J seats on 21st of January.

This person loses their apartment on 14th of January with no option to extend!

Any way they drop her in the sofitel at T5 for 2 weeks :-P
Old Dec 28, 2020, 5:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by davem4
Direct flights resume 10th of January.

First economy seat available for purchase on BA is the 31st of January.
OK, so her OTA needs to keep watching the fare buckets - someone is bound to cancel their 10 January flight and if the OTA is on top of this they will be able to seize that inventory. It's not clear to me which date she is booked on, and normally she needs to be careful - if you book on 31 January then that's your one shot at the irrop, you can't assume you can bring the flight forward. If she remains cancelled without rebooking then she can keep checking several times a day and perhaps get a cancellation.

Under EC261 if she had a confirmed seat on a now cancelled service, she can claim hotel costs, presumably after her actual accomodation ends until the day of actual departure. The guideline is £200 per day, however it can only be claimed after the event, you can assume BA will be slow to pay up and ask many questions. So she best spend money as if she won't get refunded, hence more Moxy than Sofitel if she hasn't got a lot of money.

Evictions can't be enforced in England until (currently) 25 January 2021 at the very earliest. If she is in Tier 4 eviction would be near impossible to do legally, in any event the usual 14 days notice also still applies. Illegal evictions would be a criminal offence so few landlords would be wanting to go down this road at the moment.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 5:56 am

Programs: QF Gold
OK, so her OTA needs to keep watching the fare buckets - someone is bound to cancel their 10 January flight and if the OTA is on top of this they will be able to seize that inventory. It's not clear to me which date she is booked on, and normally she needs to be careful - if you book on 31 January then that's your one shot at the irrop, you can't assume you can bring the flight forward. If she remains cancelled without rebooking then she can keep checking several times a day and perhaps get a cancellation.

Under EC261 if she had a confirmed seat on a now cancelled service, she can claim hotel costs, presumably after her actual accomodation ends until the day of actual departure. The guideline is £200 per day, however it can only be claimed after the event, you can assume BA will be slow to pay up and ask many questions. So she best spend money as if she won't get refunded, hence more Moxy than Sofitel if she hasn't got a lot of money.

Evictions can't be enforced in England until (currently) 25 January 2021 at the very earliest. If she is in Tier 4 eviction would be near impossible to do legally, in any event the usual 14 days notice also still applies. Illegal evictions would be a criminal offence so few landlords would be wanting to go down this road at the moment.
She was booked 31 Dec.

Good idea on not reconfirming as it gives options on earlier departure

She was looking for an AirBNB, there are some nearby for only 34 a night. So that would only be ~550 for BA to cover which seems reasonable.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Apologies in advance, I'm quite sure this will have been covered already but I'm having trouble searching on my phone:

I've flown the outbound of a round-trip avios redemption booking but now would like to change the return (IAD-LHR) to delay a bit in light of the situation in the UK that has evolved since my departure. I'm pretty certain the scheduled flight will still operate, so nothing in it to hope for a cancellation. Is BA offering any flexibility on this ticket that would normally be non changeable at this point or should I suck it up and either return on schedule or lose the unflown portion and book a new one way.
Bumping this in case anyone has any views before I call BA later today. I've now found some pointers from a few months ago but am still confused about what options are likely to be available. Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2020, 7:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Bumping this in case anyone has any views before I call BA later today. I've now found some pointers from a few months ago but am still confused about what options are likely to be available. Thanks!
I think it's upthread, but your options, making various assumptions such as it being a full Avios redemption, can be summarised as:
- move to another date with Avios availability, amendment fee of GBP35, easiest if same route, but you can change within the zone.
- FTV, though we haven't had many reports from those with part flown flights, no amendment fee. Rebooking will need Avios availablility.
- wait until about 36 hours to departure, to maximise flexibility.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Sorry another small query.
I originally booked my outbound, now cancelled, to JNB online using a 241, then retrospectively added the return , having also booked it on line and then by ringing BA to apply the 241. Both outbound and inbound appear as separate PNRs still. The inbound has not been cancelled.
I am presuming they are in some way linked so that when i cancel the trip both will be cancelled and the miles and cash redeposited without paying the £35 per ticket fee or am i mistaken?
Old Dec 28, 2020, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by simonsmith
I am presuming they are in some way linked so that when i cancel the trip both will be cancelled and the miles and cash redeposited without paying the £35 per ticket fee or am i mistaken?
I don't think you can assume the computers are that smart. I'd leave it a day or two after your previously scheduled departure date and see if it does auto-cancel, but if not you will have to call up. I hope you would not be charged the redeposit fee, but if that is all that is offered you could go for the FTV instead.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Sorry another small query.
I originally booked my outbound, now cancelled, to JNB online using a 241, then retrospectively added the return , having also booked it on line and then by ringing BA to apply the 241. Both outbound and inbound appear as separate PNRs still. The inbound has not been cancelled.
I did the same. I was told that the two bookings were linked when I rang in to book the return. Not sure that I have any way to prove the linking up though. It look like I will have to cancel so am interested in your outcome.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Just off the phone with the BA team regarding a rebooking.

He's adament that I'll have to recheckin my luggage in Madrid (arriving on Iberia Express, flying to LHR on BA). And then on return GLA-LHR (Ba), LHR-MAD (IB), MAD (IB) collect my bagage at LHR and recheck in and clear security despite them all being on the same tickets/PNR?

Seems mental,
Thanks IA
Old Dec 28, 2020, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by marconess
He's adament that I'll have to recheckin my luggage in Madrid (arriving on Iberia Express, flying to LHR on BA). And then on return GLA-LHR (Ba), LHR-MAD (IB), MAD (IB) collect my bagage at LHR and recheck in and clear security despite them all being on the same tickets/PNR?
Unlikely but it depends on the route, which is a little unclear (is there a LGW in there for example). GLA-LHR-MAD doesn't normally require a recheck, regardless of whether BA or IB, so long as it is one PNR.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 9:51 am

I can't check the flights since I can't see the dates, it may be that the flights on IB really are full, but I can only speculate. Your probably need a direct flight from MAD to ACE to get this to work on Pegasus rather than involving the inter-island hops. It may be easier to rearrange to LPA or TFS. To be honest I suspect this may not be a viable trip for all sorts of reasons, so I would take the refund and perhaps book something last minute if things have improved.
Thanks to CWS for replying so fast.

Good news to report. Called again today and spoke to my third agent (after the 2 that I spoke to last week), and this lady was more than happy to look at rerouting us to LPA via MAD, and letting us make our own way to ACE. She kept me on hold for 6 mins and then came back to say that the rerouting would be both possible and free of charge. I was even able to change the date of the outbound to the day before so that we could travel from LPA to ACE without a rush the next day.
New outbound flights are now for the day before, via MAD; both legs operated by IB with BA flight numbers. No change to our return flights from ACE, nor to the car hire at ACE. Email confirmation came quickly.
No mention of Pegasus and I didn't want to interrupt her by asking lower priority questions!
Couldn't select seats for the IB flights either via BA.com, or on Iberia.com (IB PNR became visible when trying to select seats on BA.com). So, called IB to do so.

So, a very good result, and we are now comfortable paying the final balance due on 2 Jan. Yes, there may still be cancellations causing the whole trip to be abandoned, but the modified trip (which maintains a 3 night stay in Lanzarote) is something that we are happy to pay the final balance for.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:13 am

Sorry, routing is PMI-MAD-LHR-GLA (with IB,BA,BA) and GLA-LHR-MAD-PMI (BA,IB,IB).
I did question it a couple times but he seemed adament. I cant imagine at PMI checkin they'll only tag my bags to Madrid? And same at GLA only til LHR.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by marconess
Sorry, routing is PMI-MAD-LHR-GLA (with IB,BA,BA) and GLA-LHR-MAD-PMI (BA,IB,IB).
I did question it a couple times but he seemed adament. I cant imagine at PMI checkin they'll only tag my bags to Madrid? And same at GLA only til LHR.
For that routing, whether IB or I2, the bags should go all the way through in both directions, in fact I'm not sure you can short check even you wanted so to do. I2 is a lower cost, lower spec airline, but they do through check baggage, it's not a point to point airline. There are a few oddities with the Iberia group of airlines, such as island residents' discounts on checked luggage, but otherwise it should be OK, unless there are some other factors involved such as long layovers.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:36 am

For that routing, whether IB or I2, the bags should go all the way through in both directions, in fact I'm not sure you can short check even you wanted so to do. I2 is a lower cost, lower spec airline, but they do through check baggage, it's not a point to point airline. There are a few oddities with the Iberia group of airlines, such as island residents' discounts on checked luggage, but otherwise it should be OK, unless there are some other factors involved such as long layovers.
Thanks for confirming. That's what I thought. Wondered if it was a warning rather than an actual fact.
No long layovers (max 3hr15) and I didn't use my residents discount as it was actually cheaper without
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
I don't think you can assume the computers are that smart. I'd leave it a day or two after your previously scheduled departure date and see if it does auto-cancel, but if not you will have to call up. I hope you would not be charged the redeposit fee, but if that is all that is offered you could go for the FTV instead.
so I donít have to contact BA before the first sector which is cancelled to get a refund or FTV but can leave it for a few days after?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.