Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

*Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
BA have cancelled all flights to PKX (Beijing/Peking) and PVG (Shanghai Pu Dong) "until 19 April 2020".

BA frequency to HKG has been reduced with effect from 13 February 2020 - see below for further details. From HKG, Cathay is running a heavily reduced schedule to mainland destinations until the end of March.

If you are due to fly to PKX, PVG and your flight is cancelled then you have refund, re-route and rebook options. BA can rebook on to several other airlines.
If you are due to fly to Hong Kong until 1st April you have refund and rebook options.
If you are transiting into mainland China you are also covered as above.
If you are transiting internationally (e.g. LHR-HKG-SYD) you are not able to move your flights, unless they are cancelled anyway.
The latest ba.com update was on 21 February 2020 at 1510.

More information on the advice of Her Majesty's Government about travel and health is on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china

For the Special Administration Regions of Hong Kong and Macao:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/hong-kong
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/macao

Summary from IATA of all travel restrictions due to Coronavirus as added to TIMATIC https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

HKG frequency reductions (as of 1330 on 21 February 2020, all dates inclusive).

LHR-HKG

From Thu 13.02.2020 to Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Tue 18.02.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Tue 10.03.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Mon 27.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 11.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 18.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Sun 24.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).
In addition, on Mon 08.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).

HKG-LHR

From Fri 14.02.2020 to Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Wed 19.02.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Wed 11.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Sun 29.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Fri 01.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 13.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 20.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 27.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).
In addition, on Tue 09.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).

Note: Schedule changes take effect on Sun 29.03.2020 in both directions.

Print Wikipost

*Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, IHG Royal Ambassador
There is a WHO update/news conference update at the link below, was due at 6pm but they've pushed it back to 7PM. I am due to fly to PVG on the 7th so watching closely. No information received from BA here relating to travel but will update should I hear anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46fb...ature=youtu.be
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Ah yes, brings back memories.
I was travelling across Russian, Mongolia and China on the Trans-Sib/Mongolian railway, and then flying home from Beijing.
First sign that something was awry was at the Mongolia/China border when some people came onto the train in NBC kit and breathing apparatus and took our temperatures.
Beijing was empty - lovely - I've got some great pictures of the Great Wall with nobody else on it. Ditto for the Forbidden City. Think there were maybe 100 people in Tiananeman Square. Spent best part of a week there and in Xi'an.

Instead of the direct flight home from Beijing to Heathrow, we first flew to Seoul in S. Korea, where they changed crew and refuelled the aircraft (we weren't allowed off).
Then flew straight from Seoul to Heathrow.
Was expecting the flight to be met by some government health types, but it wasn't.

As it turned out the only places I wasn't allowed to go in the fortnight following my return home were my work (wouldn't allow me to come in for 2 weeks without a doctor's approval). and my doctor's surgery (didn't want me the surgery in case I had it, and wouldn't see me because I didn't have any symptoms). Had a very nice extra couple of weeks off catching up on chores and relaxing after an exhausting holiday :-)
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:24 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
So 11 million people are in a state of quarantine, and the WHO are updating their info regularly.

I sense the landscape will look different in 2 weeks time, but am told that BA currently have no waiver in place for travel to PVG (albeit I can understand why that is the case at present).

M
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by baroqen
Looks like the travel waiver might have been expanded for all travel to/from China.

I apologize as I can't read this to 100% confirm, but I'm told it states that all airlines are instructed to give full refunds to any voluntary cancellations starting from midnight on the 24th.

???: ?????????

This is from the China equivalent of the FAA.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31985239-post17.html

Could this force their hand?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is now a rebooking allowance issued by BA but it only covers the CZ operarted & BA codeshare direct route between LHR and WUH.

Airports/Flights affected - BA*CZ services between London (LHR) and Wuhan (WUH)

Tickets issued by - 22 January 2020

Ticket travel dates - 23 January – 29 March 2020

New travel dates - Up to and including ticket validity

Rebooking Allowance

Rebook onto the same routing on a BA*CZ operated service into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin

Origin/Destination/Stopover changes - No

Refunds Allowed - Yes

Redemptions included - Not applicable

Important Information
  • one involuntary ticket change allowed from the above options
  • BA operated connecting flights may be rebooked under these guidelines
  • Terms and conditions from original ticket apply for any voluntary changes
  • For customers on cancelled codeshare flights, please follow the standard Customer Handling Guidelines
  • Adherence to commercial policies/conditions of carriage guidelines remains entirely the responsibility of the user. BA reserves the right to withdraw guidelines at any time
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
I'm scheduled to fly BA to PVG Saturday. BA atm saying all ok. Amex Plat Insurance saying it’s a moveable feast and with the underwriters for a view. If I go, the insurance folks are worryingly saying, if , Shanghai locks down whilst there don’t assume cover!
T

Originally Posted by KARFA
There is now a rebooking allowance issued by BA but it only covers the CZ operarted & BA codeshare direct route between LHR and WUH.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Telecasterman
I'm scheduled to fly BA to PVG Saturday. BA atm saying all ok. Amex Plat Insurance saying it’s a moveable feast and with the underwriters for a view. If I go, the insurance folks are worryingly saying, if , Shanghai locks down whilst there don’t assume cover!
T
Let us know how you go with them, I have an itinerary involving HKG in 2 weeks. I have a health condition that means I'm immuno-compromised so I'm seriously doubting whether I should make the trip. I've reached out to Amex Travel (booked with BA through them) and I'm waiting to hear back from them.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by James91
Let us know how you go with them, I have an itinerary involving HKG in 2 weeks. I have a health condition that means I'm immuno-compromised so I'm seriously doubting whether I should make the trip. I've reached out to Amex Travel (booked with BA through them) and I'm waiting to hear back from them.
mrs T is on LHR-HKG- BNE 8th Feb. We can’t see any issues atm. I’ve just been on the Gold line and again everything is running ok FWIW In BA land to PVG. I’ve taken a decision to cancel based on my insurance advice . YMMV.
regards T
James91 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In addition to KARFA's guidelines above, here are some more general guidelines held by Contact Centres:

Originally Posted by British Airways 23 January 2020
The virus is centred around the Chinese city of Wuhan, which is located in the central province of Hubei, approximately 1,095kms from Beijing and 918kms from Hong Kong.

China Southern Airlines (CZ) operate three times weekly between Wuhan (WUH) and London (LHR), BA codeshares on this route.
Cathay Pacific’s Cathay Dragon (KA) operate regular flights between WUH and HKG.

Latest Information
The World Health Organisation (WHO) website provides full information on the virus and the precautions to take on this page
Authorities have shut down public transport in the city with the airport currently suspending flights

For agents
Reactive guidelines are now published for customers on BA*CZ services to/from Wuhan, see ART >
If BA*CZ flights are cancelled, we now have a Joint Business rebooking/refund guideline agreed, see ART >

For customers on Cathay Dragon KA services, these flights have now been temporarily suspended. Use ART >
May also use the involuntary guidelines for rebooking on Cathay’s website, see cathaypacific.com >
Remember when rebooking Prime flights to add the OS KA INVOL into the booking

For customers on BA services to/from Beijing (PKX) and Shanghai (PVG) we recommend they read the WHO information and keep checking their flights on ba.com. Fare rules apply until further notice

Any further updates we will advise you

Use the following BA Press Office Statement and FAQ’s
We are monitoring the situation closely, and our flights continue to operate as normal.
Like other airlines, we are liaising closely with both government and health organisations and following their advice.

IF ASKED:
Are you taking any additional measures onboard flights to and from China/ etc?
We are monitoring the situation closely, and our flights continue to operate as normal.
Like other airlines, we are liaising closely with both government and health organisations and following their advice.

GUIDE: The WHO is advising normal hygiene measures as a precaution, including:
- Avoiding close contact with people suffering from acute respiratory infections;
- Frequent hand-washing, especially after direct contact with ill people or their environment;
- Avoiding unprotected contact with farm or wild animals;
- People with symptoms of acute respiratory infection should practice cough etiquette (maintain distance, cover coughs and sneezes with disposable tissues or clothing, and wash hands);
- Within healthcare facilities, enhance standard infection prevention and control practices in hospitals, especially in emergency departments;
- WHO does not recommend any specific health measures for travellers. In case of symptoms suggestive of respiratory illness either during or after travel, the travellers are encouraged to seek medical attention and share their travel history with their health care provider. Travel guidance has been updated.
Ikaz, msm2000uk and James91 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:58 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Thanks to KARFA and CWS for publishing the BA centre advice.

M
Telecasterman likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
PVG on Monday for me, one night on my way to Hanoi. I'll update the thread Tuesday and Wednesday if I get chance, incidentally the PVG-HAN is with Vietnam Airlines.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:40 am

thanks C-W-S and KARFA. Very useful.
Check your insurance before travelling.
safe travels
T

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In addition to KARFA's guidelines above, here are some more general guidelines held by Contact Centres:

Last edited by Telecasterman; Jan 23, 2020 at 12:00 pm
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

further my last - BA are being Iresponsible- not least to their staff and travelling customers. There is no BA response/ guidance to be had! When you speak to the Gold line they are embarrassed . What is wrong with this airline/business? Have they lost sight of business continuity/ emergency planning?

so I’ve had to cancel at the last minute because there’s no ownership. It’s shambolic.

pls don’t quote contact centre guidance. I want 1:1 answers
Safe travels to all affected by this mess
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by teledude
Also off to PVG in a few weeks so will monitor this closely.
And they will monitor you closely, too...
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
BBC says there will be 'enhanced' surveillance from flights incoming from CHina, but only specifics I've seen applied to the flights (now defunct) from Wuhan diverted to T4.

I'm flying PKX-LHR-GVA tomorrow, does anyone know what's in place for flights from Beijing/ Shanghai etc?

tb

PS for those concerned about connections in HKG...given that there are relatively few cases in HK currently, if transiting HKG becomes a major risk, it's likely that by that time the whole thing has gone global. With SARS, HK was affected severely early on due to "super spreaders" from the initial outbreak in Guangdong. This isn't the same scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.