Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

*Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts

Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
BA have cancelled all flights to PKX (Beijing/Peking) and PVG (Shanghai Pu Dong) "until 19 April 2020".

BA frequency to HKG has been reduced with effect from 13 February 2020 - see below for further details. From HKG, Cathay is running a heavily reduced schedule to mainland destinations until the end of March.

If you are due to fly to PKX, PVG and your flight is cancelled then you have refund, re-route and rebook options. BA can rebook on to several other airlines.
If you are due to fly to Hong Kong until 1st April you have refund and rebook options.
If you are transiting into mainland China you are also covered as above.
If you are transiting internationally (e.g. LHR-HKG-SYD) you are not able to move your flights, unless they are cancelled anyway.
The latest ba.com update was on 21 February 2020 at 1510.

More information on the advice of Her Majesty's Government about travel and health is on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china

For the Special Administration Regions of Hong Kong and Macao:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/hong-kong
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/macao

Summary from IATA of all travel restrictions due to Coronavirus as added to TIMATIC https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

HKG frequency reductions (as of 1330 on 21 February 2020, all dates inclusive).

LHR-HKG

From Thu 13.02.2020 to Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Tue 18.02.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Tue 10.03.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Mon 27.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 11.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 18.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Sun 24.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).
In addition, on Mon 08.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).

HKG-LHR

From Fri 14.02.2020 to Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Wed 19.02.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Wed 11.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Sun 29.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Fri 01.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 13.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 20.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 27.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).
In addition, on Tue 09.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).

Note: Schedule changes take effect on Sun 29.03.2020 in both directions.

Print Wikipost

*Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts

Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by justin1123
Question re changing a HKG Avios flight from off peak to peak.

Trying to change an Avios ticket for a HKG-LHR flight, this is for March and has been cancelled, so it is covered by both the HKG policy and policy for cancelled tickets. It is booked for an off-peak date and I need to change it to peak date. First agent I spoke to said it could be any date up to 1st August (and could book Avios or revenue availability), but when I called back to book I was told it has to be an off-peak date, or it would need to be re-priced for extra Avios. Seems strange to me - if it was re-date of a cancelled revenue ticket, it would just be re-booked with no extra charge.
Does anyone know if this is right? Is this specified in the re-boking policy?
Indeed, that is complete rubbish and the agent is just making that up. In the same way are they suggesting cash fares can only rebook on dates where the fare is the same and not higher?

The guidelines allow for rebooking on any of the dates allowed. There doesn't have to be reward availability and it doesn't need to be an off peak date.
cbagent likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by KARFA
Indeed, that is complete rubbish and the agent is just making that up. In the same way are they suggesting cash fares can only rebook on dates where the fare is the same and not higher?

The guidelines allow for rebooking on any of the dates allowed. There doesn't have to be reward availability and it doesn't need to be an off peak date.
Yes, that was my take too, re-book free for any date up to policy specified date (1st August in this case). Agent I spoke too was insistent though and even 'checked with a manager' and came back with the same answer.... Guess I will call back a few times, frustrating, but not surprising!
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

Does anyone know if Avios.com has the same rules as BA, and if I have to go via them or not - can BA handle my ticket? My reward flight from Beijing to LHR was booked via Avios simply due to the Lloyds upgrade voucher. My flight was cancelled (and BA rebooked me on a new flight number, a little later the same day - ie the changed flight numbers that are happening at the moment later in the year).

Last edited by sb1982; Feb 23, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:23 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
For all concerned, according to EF the flight landed 25 minutes early, despite the dirty cabin and used ear-buds.

M
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:06 am

Just wanted to share my refund story.... my husband and I were scheduled to go MAD-LHR-PVG on Sat May 16, flying back on the same route on Weds May 27th. We called to inquire about canceling and getting a refund both for the cash and avios we used and were able to get a full refund of both. It was pretty painless - the agent wasnt able to process it immediately, but gave us a call back about 20 mins later after she had done some investigation and confirmed that she could process it immediately without issue. If relevant, my husband is immuno compromised and he mentioned that during the call...
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Noting the discussion above about negotiating the coronavirus changes with an OTA, does it make a difference if I've already flown the outbound? I'm currently mid-way through an OSL-LHR-PKX return, with the outbound flown in Dec 2019 and the return scheduled for mid-June 2020. I've received the same "cancellation" notification (I.e. a new flight number 25 minutes earlier), so presumably now have the option of a free cancel on that half of the ticket. I haven't decided what I actually want to do yet, but since I've flown the outbound has BA taken control of the ticket, or do I still have to go through the OTA?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Deltus
. I haven't decided what I actually want to do yet, but since I've flown the outbound has BA taken control of the ticket, or do I still have to go through the OTA?
BA can help with rerouting that ticket since as you say it should be under their control, but refunds are always done via the OTA.
Deltus likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by justin1123
Yes, that was my take too, re-book free for any date up to policy specified date (1st August in this case). Agent I spoke too was insistent though and even 'checked with a manager' and came back with the same answer.... Guess I will call back a few times, frustrating, but not surprising!
Just bringing the thread back to booking / cancelling challenges....the following explains why our JAL-operated but BA booked avios flights (HND-PEK) were refunded without charge.

Trade Support guidelines say:

Transit...
For BA-125 ticketed customers on any carrier services between Mainland China (not HKG) and Japan, South Korea or Singapore, flights may now be involuntary rebooked within validity same routing and class as original or refunded
AND later in the note
Interline / redemption bookings

If you have a BA customer on an interline/redemption journey travelling on a flight with another Carrier within China or HKG, without a BA segment in the booking. You can offer the following:
  • Rebook to a later date (rebooking would be into the same booking class currently held by the customer).
  • A full refund
flatlander likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Could we request you to keep the topic to cancellations, cancellation/rebooking policies and travel warnings, restrictions or developing situations in Asia that may lead to flights being disrupted or passengers being unable to take the flight due to travel restrictions please?

Recent OT posts on crew not wearing masks etc. have been moved to another thread.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

P.S. There is a Italy-specific COVID-19 thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...hts-milan.html

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Feb 24, 2020 at 7:57 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Was informed of the cancellation to BA31 in May and was moved to the later service (BA27) departing at 21:50 (still on the A380 though).

Unfortunately, I had a separate Cathay Dragon ticket to Vietnam (DAD) with only a 1 hour 30min connection which while within the MCT, I was worried having to go landslide to re-check bags and with only 1 flight a day.

Originally I had used a 2-4-1 voucher for the two F seats to Hong Kong and saw that there was CW availability still available but on BA27 the day before. Expecting to have to downgrade from F to CW, I called the Gold Line but my 2 F seats were moved and the change fee waived.
Furthermore, it looks like I have been booked into A fare class so fingers crossed on avios and tier points!
Golden ticket issued.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:58 am

Singapore to London BA00016

I'm flying out from Singapore to London on the 29th of March. I've already enquired with my travel agency that booked the flights and they've said the tickets are non-refundable and since the travel advice is that it's safe to travel, they won't cancel any flights. They offered to re-route, but i'll have to pay a a fee and then the difference.

Anybody know if there's a chance the flight might be cancelled? If it is, I'll be stranded in Singapore (I'm travelling around - Thailand, Indonesia and Singapore). I've never had a cancelled flight before, would that mean they would have to re-route me, without accruing additional fees?

Any help is appreciated!

Many thanks
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I have a question about Jokers and 2-4-1s. I've got a booking for Haneda, in F, for myself and Mrs S in April that used both of these. The 2-4-1 expiry is shortly after we return, the joker has already expired as it was one of the two you get immediately on qualifying for the first time. There is an ever-increasing danger of Japan being added to quarantine-on-return destinations - my company seems on the cusp of doing so for instance. That's probably not too much of an issue for me, but Mrs S is a teacher (of GCSEs and A-levels), and working from home isn't an option. We are still about 7 weeks away from our travel dates, but in all good conscience she could not travel if that ended up being the case.

Does anyone know or have an idea of what BA would do re the Joker and 2-4-1 if I decided to pull the plug? Obviously this is still an 'OK' destination. Would I get them back? The 2-4-1 I expect I would as it is still within validity, but I've never cancelled one so I don't know what happens there. I probably don't need to make a decision for a couple of weeks, but that's when I probably want to start looking at hotels etc. It feels like it's going to get worse before it gets better. Alternatively, given I know I'll get the Avios back I could just cancel and use another joker and another 2-4-1 on EZE or somewhere that hasn't - yet - been impacted. The other alternative is that we both catch it in London on the commute before we travel....
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by snuffi
I have a question about Jokers and 2-4-1s. I've got a booking for Haneda, in F, for myself and Mrs S in April that used both of these. The 2-4-1 expiry is shortly after we return, the joker has already expired as it was one of the two you get immediately on qualifying for the first time. There is an ever-increasing danger of Japan being added to quarantine-on-return destinations - my company seems on the cusp of doing so for instance. That's probably not too much of an issue for me, but Mrs S is a teacher (of GCSEs and A-levels), and working from home isn't an option. We are still about 7 weeks away from our travel dates, but in all good conscience she could not travel if that ended up being the case.

Does anyone know or have an idea of what BA would do re the Joker and 2-4-1 if I decided to pull the plug? Obviously this is still an 'OK' destination. Would I get them back? The 2-4-1 I expect I would as it is still within validity, but I've never cancelled one so I don't know what happens there. I probably don't need to make a decision for a couple of weeks, but that's when I probably want to start looking at hotels etc. It feels like it's going to get worse before it gets better. Alternatively, given I know I'll get the Avios back I could just cancel and use another joker and another 2-4-1 on EZE or somewhere that hasn't - yet - been impacted. The other alternative is that we both catch it in London on the commute before we travel....
When I got my flights cancelled (PKX) on a 241 the voucher reappeared within seconds (along with the avois) but, as expected, and as explained by the helpful agent, with the original expiry date (November 2020, in my case). So i hope enough time to use. IDK about the joker, never got that high up the Club
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RS_Traveller
Anybody know if there's a chance the flight might be cancelled? If it is, I'll be stranded in Singapore (I'm travelling around - Thailand, Indonesia and Singapore). I've never had a cancelled flight before, would that mean they would have to re-route me, without accruing additional fees?
One of the things that has struck me about this event is how it has evolved down many different paths, and it is now very difficult to see how events will work out for the next few weeks. So crystal ball gazing isn't going to be very reliable, unfortunately, realistically your guess is going to be as good as anyone's. As things stand, SIN can be considered safe, with relatively few cases, and they seem to have things well controlled. If this continues then I doubt BA will cancel such a key service, they are still operating HKG, albeit on a reduced timetable. But tomorrow could birng a very different perspective, who knows. Maybe you could consider the SIN service as a springboard for visiting Australia instead?

Welcome to the BA forum RS_Traveller, I hope we will see more of you in the future.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
For discussions on BA ICN flights, please see:
South Korea Cancellation advice

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.