Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

*Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
BA have cancelled all flights to PKX (Beijing/Peking) and PVG (Shanghai Pu Dong) "until 19 April 2020".

BA frequency to HKG has been reduced with effect from 13 February 2020 - see below for further details. From HKG, Cathay is running a heavily reduced schedule to mainland destinations until the end of March.

If you are due to fly to PKX, PVG and your flight is cancelled then you have refund, re-route and rebook options. BA can rebook on to several other airlines.
If you are due to fly to Hong Kong until 1st April you have refund and rebook options.
If you are transiting into mainland China you are also covered as above.
If you are transiting internationally (e.g. LHR-HKG-SYD) you are not able to move your flights, unless they are cancelled anyway.
The latest ba.com update was on 21 February 2020 at 1510.

More information on the advice of Her Majesty's Government about travel and health is on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china

For the Special Administration Regions of Hong Kong and Macao:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/hong-kong
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/macao

Summary from IATA of all travel restrictions due to Coronavirus as added to TIMATIC https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

HKG frequency reductions (as of 1330 on 21 February 2020, all dates inclusive).

LHR-HKG

From Thu 13.02.2020 to Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Tue 18.02.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Tue 10.03.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Mon 27.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 11.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 18.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Sun 24.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).
In addition, on Mon 08.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).

HKG-LHR

From Fri 14.02.2020 to Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Wed 19.02.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Wed 11.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Sun 29.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Fri 01.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 13.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 20.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 27.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).
In addition, on Tue 09.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).

Note: Schedule changes take effect on Sun 29.03.2020 in both directions.

Print Wikipost

*Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Lock down all flights/ transport from China - get some balls !

Originally Posted by trueblu
BBC says there will be 'enhanced' surveillance from flights incoming from CHina, but only specifics I've seen applied to the flights (now defunct) from Wuhan diverted to T4.

I'm flying PKX-LHR-GVA tomorrow, does anyone know what's in place for flights from Beijing/ Shanghai etc?

tb

PS for those concerned about connections in HKG...given that there are relatively few cases in HK currently, if transiting HKG becomes a major risk, it's likely that by that time the whole thing has gone global. With SARS, HK was affected severely early on due to "super spreaders" from the initial outbreak in Guangdong. This isn't the same scenario.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Thank you World President!
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:07 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Lock down all flights/ transport from China - get some balls !
With Coronavirus now dominating the British headlines (BBC News, Radio 4, Sky News etc), it cant be long before BA update their information to customers.

We know flight from Wuhan are being segregated at LHR, but with tourist sites in Beijing (Forbidden City) and Shanghai (Disneyland) suddenly closed, its clear this epidemic is spreading across mainland China.

M
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC
AirChina has just announced voluntary refunds for their customers

Coronavirus - Air China offers full refunds
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by plunet
AirChina has just announced voluntary refunds for their customers

Coronavirus - Air China offers full refunds
Happened just after the Central government told all airlines to do so...their share price has taken a hit, but I'm sure the government will underwrite it. BA/IAG won't have any such government backing....I'm pretty sure China-LHR flights will be full for BA, although the reverse is going to be taking a hit. If WHO declares a global health emergency (which it's declined to do 2 days in a row), then BA's hand may be forced...but it's also likely that the WHO won't do that until there is human-human transmission from people who have never been to China during this outbreak.

tb
LoungeEnthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:43 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
With Coronavirus now dominating the British headlines (BBC News, Radio 4, Sky News etc), it cant be long before BA update their information to customers.

We know flight from Wuhan are being segregated at LHR, but with tourist sites in Beijing (Forbidden City) and Shanghai (Disneyland) suddenly closed, its clear this epidemic is spreading across mainland China.

M
I can't see BA changing its position as a result of the precautionary closure of such tourist sites. It is simply to minimise the risk of transmission and seems a sensible precaution to take at a time when there are national holidays in China. The WHO has not changed its travel advice (no restrictions, but appropriate precautions be taken). Similarly, the UK FCO has not changed its position. I am certain that BA will continue to fly until one or both of these organisation imposes restrictions, or China closes one of the major hubs that BA flies into (that doesn't seem likely right now).
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:55 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by gms
I can't see BA changing its position as a result of the precautionary closure of such tourist sites. It is simply to minimise the risk of transmission and seems a sensible precaution to take at a time when there are national holidays in China. The WHO has not changed its travel advice (no restrictions, but appropriate precautions be taken). Similarly, the UK FCO has not changed its position. I am certain that BA will continue to fly until one or both of these organisation imposes restrictions, or China closes one of the major hubs that BA flies into (that doesn't seem likely right now).
I agree with you entirely, just wishful thinking on my part!

I'm sure BA will react once the FCO/WHO change their travel advice, albeit to what who knows!

M
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I flew from HKG to YYZ the week things got really bad. The most shocking thing was arriving in Canada and being met by people in masks, mandatory temperature checks and a general sense of fear. Hong Kong was extraordinary, day by day you could see the city getting quieter and quieter as people just stayed home.

The following month I flew DPS-SIN on SQ and had both the F and J cabins to myself 😮

SARS was before BA served Shanghai but I recall they kept frequencies to both HKG and PEK.

I went to Thailand during the middle of the SARS epidemic; landing in Bangkok was surreal and like entering the set of a disaster movie - everybody wearing masks and glaring at us because we weren’t and the airport was so quiet and empty
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I'm supposed to be arriving in PVG on the 10th Feb. However I've booked to HKG and then separate booking to PVG.

Will keep an eye on this. I wonder what the Hong Kong and Macau response will be. Wouldn't be the end of the world to have to go to Macau for a few days instead...
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I'm supposed to be arriving in PVG on the 10th Feb. However I've booked to HKG and then separate booking to PVG.

Will keep an eye on this. I wonder what the Hong Kong and Macau response will be. Wouldn't be the end of the world to have to go to Macau for a few days instead...
HKG (probably) won't issue waivers until there is local transmission, in which case, being in HK may not be much better than SH....

Most recent case in Japan transited HKG on CX...so they are now tracking that pax's contacts..presumably on both flights.

tb
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
BBC says there will be 'enhanced' surveillance from flights incoming from CHina, but only specifics I've seen applied to the flights (now defunct) from Wuhan diverted to T4.

I'm flying PKX-LHR-GVA tomorrow, does anyone know what's in place for flights from Beijing/ Shanghai etc?

tb

PS for those concerned about connections in HKG...given that there are relatively few cases in HK currently, if transiting HKG becomes a major risk, it's likely that by that time the whole thing has gone global. With SARS, HK was affected severely early on due to "super spreaders" from the initial outbreak in Guangdong. This isn't the same scenario.
Indeed, the same scenario never occurs twice. ANd China is much better prepared and efficient this time.

But the number of cases in HK is growing rapidly. And the airport itself is the major risk with so many Chinese travelling during CNY.
I am flying back to HK Sunday and it is clear that many people cancel as I progressively see F/J seats being released on the seat map.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed, the same scenario never occurs twice. ANd China is much better prepared and efficient this time.

But the number of cases in HK is growing rapidly. And the airport itself is the major risk with so many Chinese travelling during CNY.
I am flying back to HK Sunday and it is clear that many people cancel as I progressively see F/J seats being released on the seat map.
Fair point, and as stated above, one patient (from Wuhan) definitely transited HKG (wonder whether they were OWE, that would really put the willies up the folks on the board!). However, given that Wuhan is now shut-down, I still state that if transiting HKG going forwards is going to be a major risk, that implies that this thing has already gone global.

tb

PS number of cases in HK currently lower than Thailand, and no ongoing transmission chain (yet -- as with anywhere outside China), so although I think HK should rightly be on high alert, it's not out of control there yet...the recent troubles in HK may have curtailed the number of mainland visitors and mitigated to some extent...

Last edited by trueblu; Jan 24, 2020 at 3:58 am Reason: PS
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:00 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
A few things:
1. all the officials are screening for is fever, there is no other "screening" tool. And you can have the Corona virus and not have a fever in the early stages.

2. The standard masks people use are of no value with the corona or any other virus, unfortunately.

3. This is something big going on in China for them to quarantine cities totaling over 35 million people. Think of London, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow and Edinburgh all being quarantined and that's still too small! So if you have the option to not travel there, I would cancel any trip to mainland China until this situation becomes more stable.

Remember, health care in China if you get sick is only fair at best, and it is unlikely that you would be allowed to return home for health care if you got corona virus.

All the best.
flygirl68 and msm2000uk like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:17 am

Galley FM (can't say if it's anything more substantial) says that BA is still refusing (or, rather, 'thinking about') to allow crew to wear masks downroute, use hand sanitizer or gloves when clearing meals.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

tb

Indeed, the same scenario never occurs twice. And China/HK is much better prepared and efficient this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.