Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please do not quote photos in this thread.

Sister thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2085652-long-haul-catering-changes-announcement-12-july.html
Print Wikipost

Long haul in-flight catering | Club World

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Postdoc
I'm sure the last time I bothered ordering a VGML meal (i.e. years ago) there was no VLML alternative, hence the obviously incorrect assumption that BA lumped vegetarian and vegan together.
I’m sure your memory is playing tricks with you, VLML and AVML have been around over 40 years with VJML being around for about 10 years.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by becks1

Full English breakfast back on PHX-LHR on 7 Dec. Didnt appreciate the crew telling me “hurry, not much time for breakfast” when we had over an hour left flight.

Chicken breast with risotto? I forgot to take a picture of the menu, but it didn’t indicate the chicken would be breaded (gross) and that certainly was an odd risotto.
“hurry” my reply would have been maybe you should have started the service earlier 🤦‍♂️
NoY, bafan, passy777 and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
I did order KSML for my 27Nov DFW-LHR in CW, but everything I was served was labeled GFML. When I questioned the crew about it, I was told it just had some common components. And it did not have the second wrap that I am used to seeing on my "true" KSMLs. To say the food was unappetizing would be an understatement.
I did not take pictures, which I should have, and I cannot say what I was served, because I honestly didn't try much of it.
Feels like my ordered SPML did not make it on board and the crew was trying to do the best they could, but if so, why not just fess up and see if I can find something else suitable to eat on the regular menu?

LcS
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That wasn’t a Kosher meal, it appalls me how far BA crew standards have dropped!
orbitmic and LCSinTexas like this.

Last edited by Can I help you; Dec 8, 2021 at 2:53 pm
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

KSML CW

Since I couldn’t find an answer, I thought I’d take one for the team and order ksml for my cw trip.

My verdict is that it was a good notch above current standard meals in both quality and quantity.

We begin with two starters: a slightly weird quinoa, beetroot, green beans and pine nuts salad (not my favourite, but certainly no worse than current CW starters), but also a small pot of very nice hummus with olive oil and Melba toasts.

Main was a pretty massive lamb shank with grilled vegetables (courgettes, carrots, peppers, onions) and layered potato onion bake (not really gratin since obviously no cheese), all served with a rich tomato-vegetables sauce. As you can see in the photo, it was not the prettiest and rather messy, but mostly because it was so big. It didn’t really fit in the plate, and foil covering it seemingly a few feet above the plate couldn’t stay in place! Seriously, I'd say that the lamb shank was at least 300-400g with a relatively small bone, the potato-onion bake was big, and there were a good 12+ largeish pieces of grilled vegetables as opposed to the 5 green beans you typically get (note, you can't really see that on the photo but there were gratin and veggies underneath the lamb shank all the way and effectively "sharing" the plate length. Also the photo was after I had started eating quite a bit of the lamb shank!). But more importantly, it was tasty in addition to generous, with a sort of home made feel to it.

And then two desserts (as no cheese obviously). A non dairy caramel cheesecake of sort (not great by my taste) and one of hermiolis usual mixed canned and fresh fruit salad: canned peach and pineapple, then fresh orange segments, grape, passion fruit, cape gooseberry and pomegranate (nice - and quite frankly, I don't think passionfruit, Cape gooseberries and pomegranates ever make it to BA's boring standard fruit plates, not even in F except for the occasional bit of passionfruit from some specific outstations).

Bizarrely I was served after everyone else (rather than before as is typical for spml). Crew also explained the meal was very cold so apologised for bringing me a tray with all the cold things first and then the main separately after I finished my starters. For the life of me, I have no idea why the lady felt that was cause for an apology: I could have kissed her on both cheeks for giving me a glimpse of what J food service is actually supposed to be rather than the stupid one tray, and I duly thanked her for serving me the main course separately which I genuinely appreciated.

I wasn’t very hungry by the time they brought afteenoon tea but it was decent (full disclosure I don’t like adternoon tea as a meal). There was a roast beef and horseradish sandwich, a pastrami wrap, a scone with non dairy whipped cream and strawberry preserve on the side, a small chocolate cake and a macaroon which flavour I did not really recognise. I think there was more meat in my sandwich/wrap plate than in all of the rest of the mini cabin put together (pastrami almost served nyc pile up style!)

Snap verdict: the potential downside is that you lose the ability to choose your main course (but these days, it is the only thing you get to choose on standard meal so to me it is less big a loss than it was when I could effectively choose all courses). However, I don't mind being surprised, and I felt my main meal was significantly more inspiring than any of the three options available as standards (roast pork, chicken curry, or "vegetarian shepherd's pie" whatever that is meant to mean) and the quantities were frankly vastly more generous. Added bonus was the separate main course (not sure if it was really because it was cold, because it was so big and messy that the crew member understandably felt that it would become a hazard to carry the full tray or that I just couldn't eat easily if it were there at the same time as everything else, or if the crew member was just nice).

Afternoon tea also more generous and probably nicer than standard. I acknowledge that some people on this board feel that spml should only really be ordered by those who require them for religious/dietary reasons, but quite frankly, on a strict food enjoyment point of view, while no JL F or AF La Premiere fare, it was very enjoyable and compared to current standard meals, it is a no brainer.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 9, 2021 at 2:47 am
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:23 pm
Original Member

my last ordering of a KSML on AC from YYZ-LHR had the same issue--apparently the mains are both big and deeply chilled...I was a good 40 minutes behind the rest of the cabin. It was a large sweet/sour swiss steak entree which was delicious!
orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by jamiel; Dec 10, 2021 at 9:18 am
Old Dec 9, 2021, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by Schwann
A great job of emphasising the burnt bits.
That toastie looks like it would shred your gums to absolute bits and possibly cause additional dental work costs.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 4:54 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic

KSML CW

Since I couldn’t find an answer, I thought I’d take one for the team and order ksml for my cw trip.

My verdict is that it was a good notch above current standard meals in both quality and quantity.

We begin with two starters: a slightly weird quinoa, beetroot, green beans and pine nuts salad (not my favourite, but certainly no worse than current CW starters), but also a small pot of very nice hummus with olive oil and Melba toasts.

Main was a pretty massive lamb shank with grilled vegetables (courgettes, carrots, peppers, onions) and layered potato onion bake (not really gratin since obviously no cheese), all served with a rich tomato-vegetables sauce. As you can see in the photo, it was not the prettiest and rather messy, but mostly because it was so big. It didn’t really fit in the plate, and foil covering it seemingly a few feet above the plate couldn’t stay in place! Seriously, I'd say that the lamb shank was at least 300-400g with a relatively small bone, the potato-onion bake was big, and there were a good 12+ largeish pieces of grilled vegetables as opposed to the 5 green beans you typically get (note, you can't really see that on the photo but there were gratin and veggies underneath the lamb shank all the way and effectively "sharing" the plate length. Also the photo was after I had started eating quite a bit of the lamb shank!). But more importantly, it was tasty in addition to generous, with a sort of home made feel to it.

And then two desserts (as no cheese obviously). A non dairy caramel cheesecake of sort (not great by my taste) and one of hermiolis usual mixed canned and fresh fruit salad: canned peach and pineapple, then fresh orange segments, grape, passion fruit, cape gooseberry and pomegranate (nice - and quite frankly, I don't think passionfruit, Cape gooseberries and pomegranates ever make it to BA's boring standard fruit plates, not even in F except for the occasional bit of passionfruit from some specific outstations).

Bizarrely I was served after everyone else (rather than before as is typical for spml). Crew also explained the meal was very cold so apologised for bringing me a tray with all the cold things first and then the main separately after I finished my starters. For the life of me, I have no idea why the lady felt that was cause for an apology: I could have kissed her on both cheeks for giving me a glimpse of what J food service is actually supposed to be rather than the stupid one tray, and I duly thanked her for serving me the main course separately which I genuinely appreciated.

I wasn’t very hungry by the time they brought afteenoon tea but it was decent (full disclosure I don’t like adternoon tea as a meal). There was a roast beef and horseradish sandwich, a pastrami wrap, a scone with non dairy whipped cream and strawberry preserve on the side, a small chocolate cake and a macaroon which flavour I did not really recognise. I think there was more meat in my sandwich/wrap plate than in all of the rest of the mini cabin put together (pastrami almost served nyc pile up style!)

Snap verdict: the potential downside is that you lose the ability to choose your main course (but these days, it is the only thing you get to choose on standard meal so to me it is less big a loss than it was when I could effectively choose all courses). However, I don't mind being surprised, and I felt my main meal was significantly more inspiring than any of the three options available as standards (roast pork, chicken curry, or "vegetarian shepherd's pie" whatever that is meant to mean) and the quantities were frankly vastly more generous. Added bonus was the separate main course (not sure if it was really because it was cold, because it was so big and messy that the crew member understandably felt that it would become a hazard to carry the full tray or that I just couldn't eat easily if it were there at the same time as everything else, or if the crew member was just nice).

Afternoon tea also more generous and probably nicer than standard. I acknowledge that some people on this board feel that spml should only really be ordered by those who require them for religious/dietary reasons, but quite frankly, on a strict food enjoyment point of view, while no JL F or AF La Premiere fare, it was very enjoyable and compared to current standard meals, it is a no brainer.
Thank you for TOFTT - my girlfriend is very appreciative of the Kosher update.
orbitmic and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've just mentioned this in the other thread - but I asked cabin crew on-board today, and they say the meals will be 'enhanced from January' so maybe some improvements to come in a few weeks.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by sb1982
I've just mentioned this in the other thread - but I asked cabin crew on-board today, and they say the meals will be 'enhanced from January' so maybe some improvements to come in a few weeks.
BA + enhancement is never a good thing
NoY, A P Yu, alex67500 and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 4:20 am

Programs: One World Emerald
LGW vs LHR catering

Hello all,

I am flying to MCO from LGW in a couple of weeks. I have the option to change my flight to LHR, but re-call a post (unable to find it anymore) that mentioned that the LGW catering is currently slightly better.

Most of the reports here are for LHR departures. Anyone had a recent LGW experience?

Decisions, decisions…
Old Dec 10, 2021, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mikele
Hello all,

I am flying to MCO from LGW in a couple of weeks. I have the option to change my flight to LHR, but re-call a post (unable to find it anymore) that mentioned that the LGW catering is currently slightly better.

Most of the reports here are for LHR departures. Anyone had a recent LGW experience?

Decisions, decisions…
FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long haul in-flight catering | Club World

Don't make a decision based on one menu being slightly ropier than another! Here's mine from LGW in November. Isn't LHR Club Suite ? And with the terrible lounge at Gatters I can't think of any reason not to switch
Old Dec 10, 2021, 6:20 am

Programs: One World Emerald
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long haul in-flight catering | Club World

Don't make a decision based on one menu being slightly ropier than another! Here's mine from LGW in November. Isn't LHR Club Suite ? And with the terrible lounge at Gatters I can't think of any reason not to switch

Thank you! If LHR is CS it would be a no brainier, but unfortunately is the same old cabin.

I am not a breakfast person so BA galleries is not something that is part of my consideration.

I keep an eye on the cabin load and will probably choose the less busy flight (which at the moment is the LGW departure).
Old Dec 10, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Tonight to JFK, BA179:

yokozuma likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 3:57 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
Tonight to JFK, BA179:

Thank you.

Anyone know if this a standard looking menu at the moment for most long haul out of LHR?

I'll bring my own dessert if so!
Carfield likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.