Search

Is Cruz Gone? [Rumour]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by chongcao
I would not make such a comment. To me, the best thing happened was Theresa May resigned. I am much happier than earlier this year.

I would like to point out your comment is based on your own assessment and opinion and does not represent many of other people. As a veteran on this forum you should know better not to make any topic political. Thank you.
The comment was obviously not aimed at any particular person!

Happy to replace Theresa May with Arsene Wenger ....!
Dan72, pacenotes, mkcol and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Raffles
Base is now £1.2m isn't it? You'd be looking at a couple of years of that and then you're into discussions on, for example, whether part of any long-term bonus targets should be paid given that IAG is (forcibly) taking away his ability to earn thoses bonuses. Probably £4m-£5m in total.
I've never quite understood this... If he's doing a poor job, then why should he get any leaving "bonus"?

If I do a poor job, I'm warned. And if my performance doesn't improve, then the steps are taken to remove me from the company.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Why does anyone think BA would change a very successful commercial strategy - with or without Cruz?

Dan72 and daftboy like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I've never quite understood this... If he's doing a poor job, then why should he get any leaving "bonus"?

If I do a poor job, I'm warned. And if my performance doesn't improve, then the steps are taken to remove me from the company.
That's because you didn't negotiate a contract when you joined which gave you a two year notice period plus the right to unvested parts of bonus schemes. When we had a 'he goes or we go' staff revolt at my little division of the bank back in 2000, the guy walked away with £10m because of the way he had negotiated his contract.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
If he does go who's up for doing a sweepstake on what his exit package will be? Anybody want to kick this one off?

ML
Bronze for life.....
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

That's because you didn't negotiate a contract when you joined which gave you a two year notice period plus the right to unvested parts of bonus schemes. When we had a 'he goes or we go' staff revolt at my little division of the bank back in 2000, the guy walked away with £10m because of the way he had negotiated his contract.
So, even if you were crap at your job, you'd still get the bonus?

My contract has a "redundancy" section with an agreed figure. But if I constantly p*ssed off my customers / clients, I'd be dismissed rather than made redundant.
Eskimoboy likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Bronze for life.....
Group 5 Blue for life.
wrp96, MiraculousM and AJA_ like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:26 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Has he really been that bad though? Yes there have been the IT snafus but when you look at the core experience, there seems to have actually been investment where there was no movement for years:

- Catering improvements in all classes except euro traveller
- Amenity improvements for all classes
- New J class
- New lounge designs in outports
- dare I say it, LHR lounge catering is somewhat improved from what I remember about 5 years ago
Dan72 and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:28 am

My contract has a "redundancy" section with an agreed figure. But if I constantly p*ssed off my customers / clients, I'd be dismissed rather than made redundant.
Proving someone was so crap you had to dismiss them immediately is tough. Proving and not finding yourself in a legal battle after is harder.

I've been through a number of PIP processes (the initiator not the receiver!) and the person will always come and ask for a payout and they'll always have a 'ah - but you didn't do this stage of the process right' argument as to why they deserve extra cash regardless of how meticulous you are. Because if they are right and you haven't followed procedure then you have to restart the whole thing or find yourself paying out anyway at a tribunal.

And can you imagine the share holder reaction if it was discovered that the CEO was put through some kind of PIP plan rather than being pushed out of the door? The only way to achieve a 'leave now' exit for a CEO is to pay them off as per their contract (and probably above their contract if you don't want them immediately heading off to a competitor or some such).

Of course - if Cruz is walking to a competitor and not being pushed out - then the package might look very different.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Why does anyone think BA would change a very successful commercial strategy - with or without Cruz?
Well, for one, Senior Cruz seemed to think other European legacy carriers would follow his complete abandonment of on-board free food and drink for short haul flights in Economy class. I am not discussing whether BOB is a success or not, but from a competitiveness point of view, BA's immediate competitors seem to be reluctant to follow BA's lead, which is highly unusual as all major European legacy airlines seemed to move in sync during last decade or longer.

Plus, leaking customer data and credit card details and sending customer's email to strangers, are hardly a [[i]successful] strategy. Some would also argue by refusing giving pilot £5 million and cause £42 million in strikes (now this likely to increase due to the email fiasco) is very [[i]unsuccessful].

BA's 100 celebration should be glamorous. But Cruz's strategy since his reign had made BA cheap, and the unfortunate hack and this recent strike negotiations just made BA's celebration rather disastrous, or at least subdued. Pride and inspirational are long gone in BA's DNA. Changes are needed for the long term.
allturnleft and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
He negotiates a golden parachute, which his contract says he gets if he's fired before the end of his term. Say he has a 5-year contract with a bonus at the end if he meets his objectives (mostly financial I would expect) but WW uses him as a scapegoat to appease the pilots and fires him in his 3rd year. AC didn't have time to prove he could do it, and as a result is entitled to something to make up for the lack of opportunity to reach said objectives.

Plus early termination, probably.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
Has he really been that bad though? Yes there have been the IT snafus but when you look at the core experience, there seems to have actually been investment where there was no movement for years:

- New J class
- dare I say it, LHR lounge catering is somewhat improved from what I remember about 5 years ago

But do these changes not fall into one of three basic categories ...... ?

1. The much-needed reversal of downgrades that should never have happened to begin with

2. Routine upgrades to lounges / catering which most global airlines undertake as part of an ongoing programme

3. A long overdue renewal of a sub-par J class product
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by sxc

- New J class
Two strikes, innumerable issues with IT, rock-bottom morale (the Pulse results shared before I left were BAD, even though I appreciate the beauty of the spin put on them in the official presentations), utter lack of vision or leadership.

compare that with creating AJB, SJB, a very successful bmi integration, return to profitability for LGW and short haul... all things achieved by the chaps before him.

I still think that Nick Swift would’ve done a better job than Alex.
JimEddie likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by subject2load

But do these changes not fall into one of three basic categories ...... ?

1. The much-needed reversal of downgrades that should never have happened to begin with

2. Routine upgrades to lounges / catering which most global airlines undertake as part of an ongoing programme

3. A long overdue renewal of a sub-par J class product
It depends on your perspective I suppose. if you're a "premium" passenger, by that I mean WT+, J and F, yes things have improved, yes. But down the back, I'd argue that it has got much worse. Various opinions have been expressed that BA are very much becoming a two tier airline, premium up font, very much LCC down the back. The gap is getting wider. I'd prefer if they improved things for ALL passengers. And the vast majority of BA pax are economy, obviously. I think this forum can sometimes skew that fact...
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Base is now £1.2m isn't it? You'd be looking at a couple of years of that and then you're into discussions on, for example, whether part of any long-term bonus targets should be paid given that IAG is (forcibly) taking away his ability to earn thoses bonuses. Probably £4m-£5m in total.

Most of the investment banking / hedge fund / PE fraternity of here will be wondering why he even bothered to turn up for such pathetic sums to be honest.
Ah, was just an opening bid ! To get things going....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.