Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Cruz Gone? [Rumour]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ Chris1922Mk2 - thanks for the comment ..... and yes, as far as long-haul is concerned (which is what you’re referring to) I can understand why you would feel that way.

Your point about the ‘skewed’ nature of forum opinion seems fair.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Once a Board have decided to remove someone, then the priority becomes speed to make it happen. The cost is irrelevant as it just results in a bit of negative media coverage, which can easily be overcome by the positive spin about the replacement.
But we have no evidence yet that the Board have taken that point of view.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I think this guy could potentially be the underdog for the job IF Cruz were to go.

He has quite a fair bit of previous experience of domestic and worldwide international travel as well as having a broad wealth of management experience albeit from an agricultural background. Although he has a no nonsense approach, he is a good listener by all accounts and understands the needs of both leisure and business travellers. I've seen quite a lot of support from fellow FTr's when he has been mentioned.

Potential Cruz Replacement
HIDDY, Cap'n Benj, BA6501 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
@ Chris1922Mk2 - thanks for the comment ..... and yes, as far as long-haul is concerned (which is what you’re referring to) I can understand why you would feel that way.

Your point about the ‘skewed’ nature of forum opinion seems fair.
Very true... I feel sometimes that the majority here think that Y passengers shouldn't expect anything as you are not supposed to get anything for nothing (as someone likes to repeat it). Some forgot that Y passengers can fly on very expensive fares (mostly business travel). The problem with the changes with BA is that they were brutal and lot of "enhancements" were introduced in a very short time span. If you take BoB, other airlines have kept some level of service to all Y passengers (such as AY, SK) while still giving status passengers some free offering as a thank you for being a frequent flyer.

Than you have some other irritating stuff like abolishing UMs, not having fast track for status passengers in Y at non OW hubs, not having lounge access at all airports, not allowing bags to be checked through o separate bookings. These are really annoying things that can get to you if you travel a lot with BA and you compare it with other legacies such as AF/KL, or the LH group.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:23 am

I agree the product at the back is lagging. Not just that but the NEOs are hated by pax and crew alike, CC morale is at a new low which results in a lack of consistency in service across all classes. Oh and IT, which when it eventually is upgraded will probably result in more outages.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Sad for BA as a organisation. The fashion in which Is this centenary Birthday should have been, has just been incredibly underwhelming and dire from a PR point of you, especially if this comes to fruition. Albeit I’d be glad to see a change. Willie departing would be even better.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
It depends on your perspective I suppose. if you're a "premium" passenger, by that I mean WT+, J and F, yes things have improved, yes. But down the back, I'd argue that it has got much worse. Various opinions have been expressed that BA are very much becoming a two tier airline, premium up font, very much LCC down the back. The gap is getting wider. I'd prefer if they improved things for ALL passengers. And the vast majority of BA pax are economy, obviously. I think this forum can sometimes skew that fact...
But the reason for this is (and I know that this is a wild generalisation) that the passengers at the front want BA to be as comfortable as Qatar whereas those down the back want BA to be as cheap as Easyjet and Ryanair.

If a passenger down the back wants more comfort then they can choose Premium Economy or Club Europe, both of which are far cheaper in real terms than economy was 20 years ago.
T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Misco60
But the reason for this is (and I know that this is a wild generalisation) that the passengers at the front want BA to be as comfortable as Qatar whereas those down the back want BA to be as cheap as Easyjet and Ryanair.

If a passenger down the back wants more comfort then they can choose Premium Economy or Club Europe, both of which are far cheaper in real terms than economy was 20 years ago.
My bold - do they really though? I can get this for leisure customers but I wouldn't care much if a ticket I bought for work were £200, £250 or £300
memesweeper likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Business passengers in most businesses (not @Raffles mates) are expected to fly lowest cost short haul. So yes, cheap unbundled fares are the right way to go.

Cruz might have to fall on his sword because of bad PR, but his commercial strategy has worked well to increase shareholder value, which is his job.

Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Personally I would like to see the guy get the same treatment he dished out to the Hong Kong based crew in the same way.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by Misco60

It is a bit of a generalisation, and not the case for me.
On the rare occasion I get to travel up the pointy end, yes, of course I want it to be as comfortable as possible, on any measure, not just against Qatar ! lol
But I'd also be willing to pay a small premium to get a more pleasant experience in Y, more pleasant than a LCC. If I wanted a LCC, I'd book with them ! But I'd much prefer a more civilised experience and would pay slightly more to get it. But not everyone would agree, I understand that. WT+ and CE can be reasonably priced, but WT+ can also be as much as double the WT fare, admittedly partially due to increased APD. But I've also had it for an extra £150 ish, and have snapped it up. And it was nicer, especially on the refurbished frames.
For me, it was the small things though. Prior to BoB, what did the drinks run actually cost BA, per pax ? £1, £2 ? Probably less, buying in bulk. I'd argue it's cost them more in reputation........ It must have been factored into the fare in any case. Were they not supposed to be a "full service" carrier ?
T8191, MiraculousM, 'andad and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by ENTP
My bold - do they really though? I can get this for leisure customers but I wouldn't care much if a ticket I bought for work were £200, £250 or £300
I totally agree and this is my issue with BoB. If I was paying £100 return for a short haul flight, I do not expect anything extra - indeed later today I am off on a work trip to ARN on DY, it was £78 including a front row seat (and probably free wifi) but that's it and that is no issue for me. However, if am on an expensive ET ticket, the AC enhancements really start to show, especially BoB and the super thin seats. In the past I have (well my company has) paid £600 for a LHR-ARN return in Y, clearly market forces can sustain that but only for a limited time before people start to feel ripped off - especially as you can fly to New York in Y for far less than £600 and get fed & watered.

One good thing that AC brought in was the return of CE on domestics - I would have not reached gold the last couple of years without it.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
One of the things Cruz consistently held the line on against industry trends was sector based status acquisition as opposed to revenue based.

Beware of what you wish for.

BoB never had anything to do with revenue. It’s about reducing onboard storage space and allowing density increases. Y is a numbers game.
Andriyko, T8191, alex67500 and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Personally I would like to see the guy get the same treatment he dished out to the Hong Kong based crew in the same way.
And the Singapore crew, and the Buenos Aires crew, the Sao Paulo crews, the Engineering colleagues in Europe, Dubai... IT...
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Lynne Embleton seems to be the name in the frame.

BA lifer (27 years) and close to Willie, so no real change I would suggest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.