Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Cruz Gone? [Rumour]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by PETER01
I think this guy could potentially be the underdog for the job IF Cruz were to go.

Potential Cruz Replacement
And there was me thinking the link would point to C-W-S, who seems to know more about BA’s activities than Sr. Cruz.
PETER01, wrp96 and mhy like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by 13901
And the Singapore crew, and the Buenos Aires crew, the Sao Paulo crews, the Engineering colleagues in Europe, Dubai... IT...
Sadly the HK crews got way worse than the others. Some were terminated the moment they landed at Heathrow after crewing a flight. They got absolute minimums, if I recall correctly some as little as 2 months pay.

One word, displicable. Old Chinese saying 'A Fish Rots From the Head'.

It meant a lot that BA frequent flyers and crews raised £100K to support them.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Lynne Embleton seems to be the name in the frame.

BA lifer (27 years) and close to Willie, so no real change I would suggest.

I beg to disagree. If Lynne is the person, then I'd be happy. She is a great manager, at least in my humble experience. Tough when she needs to, suffers no fools and very little BS, very intelligent, open to speak with the rank & file staff. She's close to Willie, but not a yes-woman. She did very well in turning around Gatwick and I heard good things over at Cargo. Willie gets a lot of flak here but in all honesty he's got more respect and 'creed' than Alex amongst staff. Even those who risked displacement because of his actions.

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Sadly the HK crews got way worse than the others. Some were terminated the moment they landed at Heathrow after crewing a flight. They got absolute minimums, if I recall correctly some as little as 2 months pay.

One word, displicable. Old Chinese saying 'A Fish Rots From the Head'.

It meant a lot that BA frequent flyers and crews raised £100K to support them.
They got exactly the bare minimum of what the local law allows, which is exactly what all the other fellas I mentioned got... And therein lies the issue. I'd understand this behaviour if BA was risking its own neck, but at times of peak performance they could and should've done more for these guys. Especially as some faced extreme uncertainty for their future. Including but not just the HK crew of course.
wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Well probably Cruz gone and took the server room key as ba.com having problems.
Oaxaca, mkcol and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Krisz
Well probably Cruz gone and took the server room key as ba.com having problems.
I think someone may have nicked that key a while ago...
T8191, wrp96, Dover2Golf and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Other (ahem, orange) airlines feed and water you included in the ticket if you buy an expensive flexible fare. BA could redeem themselves with the people in theexpensive seats by doing that.

But anyway, that is all immaterial at the corporate level to whether Mr Cruz stays or goes.

What is material is his inability to manage industrial relations well enough to avoid strikes by critical workers, inability to maintain a reliable IT operation (even if it's foisted on him from above, I'm sure he'll get the blame) and so on. Currently his job performance at these things is not looking good.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
It doesn’t, of itself, add any credibility whatsoever to what is still nothing more than pure rumour & speculation ..... but some withering commentary now appearing across various sites, including

It wouldn’t be surprising if the board and especially investors finally had enough with Mr. Cruz and his “headless snake” management style where nobody takes responsibility for anything. It’ll be highly interesting to see what comes of this rumor that he’s leaving.

The last few weeks there was quite extensive coverage of British Airways in the media and one investor was quoted as saying “the executives should bring order into the company again instead of partying with bloggers on the A350”

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/08/27/...edy-of-errors/
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:09 am

I have never quite understood why BA would appoint the same person as Chairman and CEO, surely the job of the Chairman is to ensure the CEO is doing their job? Of course I might just have answered my own question there!
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DelTroon
I have never quite understood why BA would appoint the same person as Chairman and CEO, surely the job of the Chairman is to ensure the CEO is doing their job? Of course I might just have answered my own question there!
I'd agree. I think combining those roles often indicates a corporate governance issue. I am surprised it's allowed in public companies.
EuropeanPete and Keystone like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC
I wonder if he will don his hi-viz and confirm or unconfirm the rumour

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Aug 27, 2019 at 8:08 am Reason: FT doesn’t like apostrophes
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Apparently IAG have denied the rumour. Although in reality, it could just mean they're not quite ready to announce anything yet.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I'd agree. I think combining those roles often indicates a corporate governance issue. I am surprised it's allowed in public companies.
Hi.

As ba is a subsidiary of iag it may be the case that it was felt that one person could have both roles. Not sure if a subsidiary needs a split chairperson ceo role.

For iag the role is split with Antonio vazquez being chairman

Regards

Tbs
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:20 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Apparently IAG have denied the rumour. Although in reality, it could just mean they're not quite ready to announce anything yet.
A rumour effectively started on FT.

M
T8191, wrp96 and DelTroon like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Maybe they accidentally emailed AC cancelling his job but realised it was an IT error.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
A rumour effectively started on FT.

M
No, it was started by the BALPA forum.
NoY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.