Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:44 pm

How concerned should I be that my flight tomorrow isn't allowing online check-in?

Have never had that happen before.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thank you. Do you know whether they are obliged to put me on a flight the next day if it’s cancelled or is that impossible to tell, dependent on loads etc?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Tootall33
Thank you. Do you know whether they are obliged to put me on a flight the next day if it’s cancelled or is that impossible to tell, dependent on loads etc?
If your flight were to be cancelled, you may well be informed with more than 2 weeks notice to avoid the EC261/04 compensation (nee duty of care).

If they were to cancel it, as it stands it would be an offer of putting you on another flight with BA or partner airlines, which could involve being re-routed non-direct, but what they won’t do is bump someone off a flight to get you on. If your preferred option is to fly the next day and there is space at the point of any cancellation, you should be able to request this.
Tootall33 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by RG1X
How concerned should I be that my flight tomorrow isn't allowing online check-in?

Have never had that happen before.
Where are you flying, not being able to check in online happens for a variety of reasons, and there is a dedicated thread on this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
Where are you flying, not being able to check in online happens for a variety of reasons, and there is a dedicated thread on this.
Beijing, but not until the afternoon (so I'm hoping everyone will be in place).

Hmm... I don't fit any of the advice in that thread. I'll check again in an hour.

Last edited by RG1X; Sep 10, 2019 at 2:16 pm
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
We are out at LHR tonight and just had a wander around T5. It is an absolute ghost town. We were amongst literally maybe 10 other people in the entire departures and arrivals areas combined. Other than staff that is, who all looked bored to tears. Shockingly, everything is open, all of the shops and restaurants. It was quite a sight to see it absolutely deserted. And quite fun, and a bit surreal, to wander around freely wherever we wanted.
Three Iberia flights landed within an hour between 6pm and 7pm. All decanted luggage to the same conveyor belt causing a bottle neck of passengers. One worker there said they were only 2 staff putting the cases on the belt. Surprisingly we landed at 5B, I would have thought that B and C could have been shut for today.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
I have a reservation (not yet ticketed) which includes a flight JFK-LHR on the 28th, in WTP.

Just noticed that while it is not shown as cancelled in my booking, all the BA JFK-LHR flights on the 28th are now showing zero availability in all fare buckets.

Would you risk it? I guess any bump would be to economy on AA?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by typical
I have a reservation (not yet ticketed) which includes a flight JFK-LHR on the 28th, in WTP.

Just noticed that while it is not shown as cancelled in my booking, all the BA JFK-LHR flights on the 28th are now showing zero availability in all fare buckets.

Would you risk it? I guess any bump would be to economy on AA?
With apologies for quoting myself as well as others, see Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep and Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Zeroing 28 September again (assuming that your booking was made recently when there were once again some seats on that day) is probably just a sign of a real-time response to changing circumstances.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Globaliser
With apologies for quoting myself as well as others, see Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep and Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Zeroing 28 September again (assuming that your booking was made recently when there were once again some seats on that day) is probably just a sign of a real-time response to changing circumstances.
Thanks - indeed booking was a couple of days ago (and several days after the two posts you quote). I didn't think to look that far back.

Hard decision to make tomorrow.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by typical
Thanks - indeed booking was a couple of days ago (and several days after the two posts you quote). I didn't think to look that far back.
No criticism intended! I simply thought that you would be interested to see the history of what's been happening, which sheds a little light on the situation.

As things stand, if it remains the case that the strike will only be on 27 September (and BALPA's approach so far doesn't suggest that they're likely to play dirty on dates), then the chances are that the zeroing out on 28 September is again not preparation for a cancellation but to protect space on those flights for displaced passengers from flights that will be cancelled if the strike goes ahead.
typical likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by paulaf
And there I was happily using the App thinking that would work and show anything in red in that eventuality. If I click the link to Manage My Booking does that actually take you to the main website and would then show any cancellations or do I have to actually go in via a web browser each time? Thanks
Yes, that works. I have an example of my own, in fact where I moved the flights for Bergamo to avoid the first strike area, but the last leg is (just) in the risk period for the second proposed strike. It was showing in BA.com+MMB and App->MMB on the original times, and now the new flight still shows that one sector in red on both BA.com+MMB as well as App->MMB.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott GfL
A couple of questions for an upcomming flight that, assuming it goes ahead, will be impacted by the BALPA strike.

I have a flight BUD-LHR scheduled for 27th Sept. When I checked last week BA flights on the 26th were zeroed out but it looks like BA have removed that protection but there are still seats open. The simple solution would be for me to move to 26th Sept on a BA flight - but hey - this is FlyerTalk!

When I get to Heathrow I planned (and have) a car rental for the weekend. Would it be reasonable to expect BA to cover the additional day of car rental? The other option would be to keep my car rental the same and stay overnight at Heathrow. Again, would it be reasonable for them to pay for that hotel night?

I am actually heading to the MAN area on Friday, thoughts if BA would accomodate that flight changing from BUD-LHR to BUD-MAN (looks like there is a RyanAir flight that day) note that this flight is part of a longer flight JFK-LCY..LHR-BUD-LHR-JFK

Getting more creative (if possible) could I reroute with another OneWorld airline like Finnair ie BUD-HEL-LHR. Would I then get Tier points for the original flight or the two new legs?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: BAEC
It seems the first round of strike is over with few residual cancellations today. From BA:
Due to operational reasons following flights have been cancelled on 11 September 2019 :
Customers will be re-accommodated where possible

o BA388/391 BRU
o BA726/727 GVA
o BA306/309 CDG
o BA576/577 MXP
o BA728/729 GVA
o BA484/485 BCN
o BA712/713 ZRH
o BA814/815 CPH
o BA862/863 PRG
o BA378/379 TLS
o BA834/835 DUB
o BA308/315 CDG
o BA1306/1307 ABZ
o BA1326/1327 NCL
(They are all short-haul flights in the morning)
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by taylopet
When I get to Heathrow I planned (and have) a car rental for the weekend. Would it be reasonable to expect BA to cover the additional day of car rental? The other option would be to keep my car rental the same and stay overnight at Heathrow. Again, would it be reasonable for them to pay for that hotel night?
A hotel will be OK if there is a cancellation, probably not if you volunteer to change a flight beforehand. Car hire isn't usually in scope for EC261, it's a consequential loss and so considered something for insurance. There are exceptions to this, notably if you used car hire to avoid someone chargeable cost. So if your ticket was to Manchester and car hire avoided having to be rebooked then it may be entertained.

BA won't rebook onto Ryanair normally, FR are not on a conventional GDS.

For the AY routing, normally you would get the travelled credits, so without doing anything you should get the higher TP credit. AY can be slow on crediting however. If you don't get them automatically it's ok to claim for either the ORC as booked or the amount as travelled, whichever suits you best.
taylopet likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Aborted Take off on Ba1467 Inv to Lhr

Title says it all really. Engines revved up to max power for take and we were started rolling for about 6/7 seconds when we came to a pretty quick juddering halt.
Captain advised failure with engine at max power necessitated aborting take off and shutting engine down. All handled very professionally, sorta makes the catalogue of logistic and catering issues from earlier not so irritating.
Back at gate figuring out what happens next.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.