Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Alrighty then, we’ll try it a different way:

Originally Posted by navylad

inpersonally wouldn’t rely on a google search to understand that they aren’t the same thing. Definist fallacy is not a sensible discussion or argument.
SW7London and orbitmic like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
If you accept it is ambiguous, I think you have to accept it is apt to mislead.

I, personally, see nothing ambiguous in that menu. I accepted that someone who does not bother to read the menu and who makes a selection on the basis of the title of the section may be confused and surprised that they only get one item out of the three on offer. The menu is very clear to me.

No argument there, expect, of course, for the fact that the menu does not hide anything. Look at that menu - no item contains a warning that it is that item only. Why should a scone? Or tea? Or hot chocolate?

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
The reciept shows 'afternoon tea' not scone.
For a second I started to think that they started doing things differently in the UK and that they were handing out receipts to people to make their selection. But then I remembered that I was just in the UK two weeks ago and I still got a menu to make my choice. If establishments advertise things on receipts than I am not sure I have anything to add here...

Last edited by Andriyko; May 17, 2019 at 1:50 am
Old May 17, 2019, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'm surprised that nobody seems to have mentioned caveat emptor.

https://consumer.findlaw.com/consume...tor-mean-.html

The term is actually part of a longer statement: Caveat emptor, quia ignorare non debuit quod jus alienum emit ("Let a purchaser beware, for he ought not to be ignorant of the nature of the property which he is buying from another party.")
And it's not just 'property' as in houses or land, as that link notes.
HMPS likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:55 am

In the spirit of mild levity amongst all the wrangling, I'm surprised no-one has yet offered Dame Julie*'s definition "Tea, a drink with jam and bread"

*with apologies to Rogers and Hammerstein of course
passy777, T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
In the spirit of mild levity amongst all the wrangling, I'm surprised no-one has yet offered Dame Julie*'s definition "Tea, a drink with jam and bread"

*with apologies to Rogers and Hammerstein of course
Ah, an authoritative source using one of the most contrived clauses in the score!
ThatT1Feeling and wrp96 like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze

I only found out from twitter! It’s a joke, but we need to remember British Airways is not British anymore, it is Irish/Spanish, so for them no tea with an afternoon tea is probably acceptable.

if people fly BA, they should expect this and not complain about it, and if they are not happy, just don’t fly them where they can.

i still fly BA when it’s convenient and cost effective, I just don’t expect anything except to get there safely and on time.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder

by all means complain to the ASA, they can make a ruling and then perhaps we can move forward. Whether they would find it ambiguous or not would be interesting.
HMPS likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I wonder has any travel-related forum generated quite so much passionate discussion on the subject of afternoon tea

I’ve even getting pop-up tea ads now when I open FT : one of them from a chain of garden centres (outlets throughout SE England, including the area around LHR) which offers a “Wimbledon Cream Tea : Served with an Eton Mess, plus a scone, jam,clotted cream and a refreshing pot of loose leaf tea. Only £7.95 Available daily, no booking required”
IAMORGAN, orbitmic and wrp96 like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I can't be bothered to read the whole thread but in my mind afternoon tea should include sandwiches? If it was a cream then it would (still not) make sense.

Editing note: beaten to it.

Last edited by Schwann; May 17, 2019 at 2:39 am
Old May 17, 2019, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by subject2load
I wonder has any travel-related forum generated quite so much passionate discussion on the subject of afternoon tea
I take as my consolation that if this is the worst thing that BA is doing to its passengers at the moment, then life must be generally OK.
Old May 17, 2019, 3:25 am

As a comparison of definitions, this is the menu of Betty's Afternoon Tea menu - clearly a different interpretation to BA's.
And yes - you can add Champagne to the traditional offering - which will still include the tea.

https://www.bettys.co.uk/traditional-afternoon-tea
DeathSlam likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I, personally, see nothing ambiguous in that menu. I accepted that someone who does not bother to read the menu and who makes a selection on the basis of the title of the section may be confused and surprised that they only get one item out of the three on offer. The menu is very clear to me.
This reminds me of these legal cases where both sides agree that a legal provision is absolutely clear but then put forward interpretations which are diametrically opposed to each other.

I would have thought that, for something to be genuinely clear and unambiguous, it would not be enough that it should be clear to me. It would require the matter to be clear for an overwhelming majority of people. I sincerely doubt that this is the case here.

Let us sum up the situation. Something that I think is now clearly established is that the name of the product sold by BA at £5 and consisting of "Sultana Scone (90g), Strawberry Preserve (28g), Clotted Cream (28g) " is "afternoon tea". This is how BA marketing understands it, this is how the BA twitter team understands it, this is how BA staff on board understand it. Everything that we have heard from BA suggests that this is the case and this is further confirmed by what is on the receipt, what is on BA website, etc...

So, the question boils down to: does the fact that I call my product something but also provide in smaller print a description of that product which is seemingly inconsistent with the name means that it is clear to everybody that what the product consist of is what is in the small print description rather than what the name suggests? Let us add that, to many, the £5 price point would probably also suggest that the tea is included as many would regard £5 as a surprisingly high price point for a mere scone.

Let us take another hypothetical example. Let us say that I offer a product called "Champagne Breakfast" for £28, but that a smaller print description of the product says: free range poached egg, hand-carved wiltshire ham, sourdough toast and that, elsewhere, I have a list of drinks for sale, which include a glass of champagne for £17.

Now, you may well consider that this is clear that the champagne is extra and that "Champagne Breakfast" does not include Champagne because the description of the product does not include Champagne. Others might consider that the very use of the name "Champagne Breakfast" is misleading, all the more so when the pricing seems consistent with Champagne being included.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I take as my consolation that if this is the worst thing that BA is doing to its passengers at the moment, then life must be generally OK.
Indeed

Let’s hope that certain BA passengers have found similar consolation in the entertaining tea debacle ! I’m thinking in particular of those affected by various unpleasant - and somewhat less amusing - issues, as discussed in a number of other Flyertalk threads* currently doing the rounds !

*(full sick bags left in seat pocket / no champers in F class / F toilets left un-repaired)

Globaliser likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I suspect that there might be an ever so slight trace of a possible non-sequitur in this.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
This reminds me of these legal cases where both sides agree that a legal provision is absolutely clear but then put forward interpretations which are diametrically opposed to each other.

I would have thought that, for something to be genuinely clear and unambiguous, it would not be enough that it should be clear to me. It would require the matter to be clear for an overwhelming majority of people. I sincerely doubt that this is the case here.

Let us sum up the situation. Something that I think is now clearly established is that the name of the product sold by BA at £5 and consisting of "Sultana Scone (90g), Strawberry Preserve (28g), Clotted Cream (28g) " is "afternoon tea". This is how BA marketing understands it, this is how the BA twitter team understands it, this is how BA staff on board understand it. Everything that we have heard from BA suggests that this is the case and this is further confirmed by what is on the receipt, what is on BA website, etc...

So, the question boils down to: does the fact that I call my product something but also provide in smaller print a description of that product which is seemingly inconsistent with the name means that it is clear to everybody that what the product consist of is what is in the small print description rather than what the name suggests? Let us add that, to many, the £5 price point would probably also suggest that the tea is included as many would regard £5 as a surprisingly high price point for a mere scone.

Let us take another hypothetical example. Let us say that I offer a product called "Champagne Breakfast" for £28, but that a smaller print description of the product says: free range poached egg, hand-carved wiltshire ham, sourdough toast and that, elsewhere, I have a list of drinks for sale, which include a glass of champagne for £17.

Now, you may well consider that this is clear that the champagne is extra and that "Champagne Breakfast" does not include Champagne because the description of the product does not include Champagne. Others might consider that the very use of the name "Champagne Breakfast" is misleading, all the more so when the pricing seems consistent with Champagne being included.
Amen!...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.