Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Afternoon tea....without any tea

I had my first experience of the new BA shorthaul menu on a flight from AGP to LHR last night. I was only really interested in trying the Speedbird 100, but some around me opted for the Afternoon Tea.

They were surprised to find that it doesn't actually come with a cup of tea. That's extra. The descriptive wording talks (deceptively in my opinon) about pairing your £5 scone with a tea. It doesn't mention that will be at your cost.

Deceptive, just plain tight or fair enough?
Passmethesickbag likes this.

Last edited by Adstring; May 12, 2019 at 4:02 pm
Old May 12, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
That’s life with BoB, I guess.

Very sad, though, considering the minimal cost of a tea bag.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
If it’s sold as afternoon tea then it should come with tea!

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di.../afternoon-tea

variable noun
Afternoon tea is a small meal you can have in the afternoon. It includes a cup of tea and food such as sandwiches and cakes
User Name, HMPS, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Clunk. That was my jaw hitting the deck. Are you telling us that something described on a menu as Afternoon Tea actually comprises just a scone? And that you can buy a cuppa separately? That's very enterprising. It opens the door to a whole new menu concept:

Fish 'n' Chips £10 (BYOFish)

Gin & Tonic £6 (mixer). Our pairing suggestions: gin (£7), ice (50p)

Caesar Salad £4 (lettuce leaves)
available separately: anchovies (£1.50) lime juice (50p). garlic (25p) black pepper (25p) ...
Old May 12, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by fripperies
Clunk. That was my jaw hitting the deck. Are you telling us that something described on a menu as Afternoon Tea actually comprises just a scone? And that you can buy a cuppa separately? That's very enterprising. It opens the door to a whole new menu concept:

available separately: anchovies (£1.50) lime juice (50p). garlic (25p) black pepper (25p) ...
Shush...you're giving AC ideas...
Old May 12, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by fripperies

Scones are so 20th century afternoon tea in any case...
Old May 12, 2019, 12:49 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I went off and checked this. Indeed it's there for all to see on the website - your afternoon tea gets you a 90g sultana scone (presumably with exactly one sultana), 28g of strawberry preserve and 28g of clotted cream. It is also stated as not being an M&S product - no doubt to save M&S from the embarrassment. All for the princely sum of £5.00 or 715 Avios. Fabulous value, not.

I can't think of any other establishment where I've had afternoon tea where the tea wasn't included in the price. Anyone trying that would probably be greeted with outrage.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Afternoon tea without tea is like cheese and wine without the wine. Whoever thought this up needs locking up.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Wouldn't calling it "Afternoon tea" without any tea be false advertising? Surely a reasonable person would expect tea with afternoon tea?
Old May 12, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Popcorn ordered
coxm, jason8612, Sealink and 4 others like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I suspect the use of the term 'tea' in this context relates to a meal rather than the beverage.

So afternoon tea is a meal served in the afternoon.

Whether one scone with a bit of cream and jam constitutes a meal, and whether £5 is a fair price to pay for it, are two entirely separate discussions.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Wouldn't calling it "Afternoon tea" without any tea be false advertising? Surely a reasonable person would expect tea with afternoon tea?
Trades Description Act might come into play.
Twickenham, kimberlyrose and wrp96 like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
I suspect the use of the term 'tea' in this context relates to a meal rather than the beverage.

So afternoon tea is a meal served in the afternoon.
Yes but the suggestion of posters above is that the said meal traditionally comprises the drink.

if you book a hotel room inclusive of English breakfast, you’d be miffed if you are brought some toasts but told you have to pay extra if you also want tea or coffee because conventionally those are seen as an integral component of an English breakfast, and extra for eggs and bacon too because your hotel explains many English people have toast for breakfast as again, the conventional understanding of what an English breakfast is involves a hot eggs and meats component.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I agree, just positing a view that 'tea' does not always include tea. If anyone dared to serve me an 'afternoon tea' without a cuppa, I'd be just as miffed as the OP.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:47 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I would have thought that the ‘afternoon tea’ label needs to be revoked ASAP and the item should be correctly re-advertised as ‘scone with cream and jam’. ‘Afternoon tea’ should (in addition to the actual tea) comprise finger sandwiches, scone and cake.

This is is another infuriating example of BA trying to fob customers off with false advertising.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.