Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by icegirl
What BA is offering here is more 'Cream Tea' this is generally scones, clotted cream, jam and should be served with a pot of tea.

Proper Traditional Afternooon Tea should consist of at least 4 assorted finger sandwiches, 2 scones with cream and preserves, 3 or 4 assorted cakes and be served with a pot of tea in either with the choice of Earl Grey, Lapsang or Darjeeling. This is how it is normally done in most top end London 5 star hotels and cost around £60 per person plus service charge.
Indeed...and the reason why I'm finding this thread somewhat confusing.

Just to be clear is it one scone you get for your fiver?
origin and Sealink like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed...and the reason why I'm finding this thread somewhat confusing.

Just to be clear is it one scone you get for your fiver?
indeed a POUG is probably cheaper
adrianlondon, HIDDY and BAEC like this.

Last edited by navylad; May 14, 2019 at 1:06 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icegirl
What BA is offering here is more 'Cream Tea' this is generally scones, clotted cream, jam and should be served with a pot of tea.

Proper Traditional Afternooon Tea should consist of at least 4 assorted finger sandwiches, 2 scones with cream and preserves, 3 or 4 assorted cakes and be served with a pot of tea in either with the choice of Earl Grey, Lapsang or Darjeeling. This is how it is normally done in most top end London 5 star hotels and cost around £60 per person plus service charge.
I agree but you are spending £60 without car parking charges to go nowhere. Where as BA are charging around £50 per person for a nice trip somewhere plus a £5 on a few days old scone and bit of jam.

I am also, still surprised that not many people are really worrying about the optional champagne. Why anyone would want tea is one matter, but having tea instead of a nice glass is another matter.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Evidently it's a slow news day at The Sun, who have decided to pick up this story.

Afternoon Tea

M
I’m among those who’d always prefer for our discussions not to end up in the media, and I’d certainly agree it must be a terribly slow news day if anyone thinks it’s a topic worth featuring in national news.

There is also however a certain irony in the fact that this negative exposure for BA is arguably mostly due to a certain eagerness in arguing that BA’s descriptions could not be faulted here. Without such an insistence on how ‘clear’ things were and how unfair the unease expressed by the op and those who shared his/her doubts about BA’s ambiguous phrasing were, I very much doubt that the topic would have reached more than 20 answers, let alone trended and got picked up by a journalist.
NickB, DYKWIA, IAMORGAN and 8 others like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 14, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador

Originally Posted by navylad

whats also telling is that he ordered Earl Grey, so individually pricing the drink separately does provide customers with options. Although it doesn’t mention Earl Grey tea on the receipt either, one assumes that it was indeed a cuppa.
Not really - you could price it together and still offer a choice of tea. No need to exclude a cup of tea from the price of “afternoon tea” in order to offer choice. As you say, one assumes by Earl Grey they mean ‘a cuppa’ by which I assume you mean a cup of tea (including the hot water, reasonable quantities of sugar or sweetner if requested, a reasonable quantity of milk, a means of stirring, and a cup or similar receptacle from which to drink the drink). Or even, radically, a cup of coffee!
Old May 14, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

Not really - you could price it together and still offer a choice of tea. No need to exclude a cup of tea from the price of “afternoon tea” in order to offer choice. As you say, one assumes by Earl Grey they mean ‘a cuppa’ by which I assume you mean a cup of tea (including the hot water, reasonable quantities of sugar or sweetner if requested, a reasonable quantity of milk, a means of stirring, and a cup or similar receptacle from which to drink the drink). Or even, radically, a cup of coffee!
could and must, the difference being the essential disagreement throughout this thread. Indeed BA could have included all sorts in their offering, yet they haven’t.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by navylad

could and must, the difference being the essential disagreement throughout this thread. Indeed BA could have included all sorts in their offering, yet they haven’t.
I think the disagreement is about whether the menu is misleading. I don’t think anyone is saying BA can’t sell a scone (and cream and jam and presumably a little knife to spread the jam etc) for a fiver if they want.
orbitmic, User Name, HMPS and 3 others like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Sealink
Deceptive. End of.

BA could argue that their description doesn't include 'a cup of tea' but it is in the title. Misers!

Afternoon Tea
Sultana Scone (90g), Strawberry Preserve (28g), Clotted Cream (28g)

Any cafe I have been too would have that on the menu as a scone with jam and cream.
So Afternoon Tea does not have tea, how British is then a scone named Sultana ?
T8191 likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
But, if tomato juice isn't acceptable, how about Appletise? Many years ago, at college, I had a friend who insisted a mix of Appletise and Coke really was the drink of choice. Disgusting though it may sound, in actuality it wasn't too bad - so perhaps we shouldn't actually rule any such combinations out.
A uni friend of mine used to swear by a mixture of Irn Bru and orange juice. Though it may sound like a truly vile, luminous yellow/orange concoction (it is!), it’s also not a half-bad hangover remedy.

Steering moderately back on topic, I’m genuinely screen-grabbing snippets of this thread as training material for my team. I’ve often said we have to sweat the small stuff when creating content for our consumers, and need to be sure that what’s in our mind is also what is in theirs, as poorly chosen headlines or sloppily chosen copy can erode trust in our brand. I can’t think of a more appropriate thread than this!
Old May 14, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by GM1985
Though it may sound like a truly vile, luminous yellow/orange concoction
I confirm it does!!!
GM1985 likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Well I didn't expect this much interest!
Perhaps BA could consider a solution based on status:
- Gold: Afternoon tea (with cup of tea included)
- Silver: Afternoon tea (cup and hot water included - passenger needs to remember to bring tea bag from lounge)
- Bronze: Afternoon tea (tea bag included- Tesco value perhaps - but cup and hot water extra)
- Blue Afternoon tea (tea extra)
Old May 14, 2019, 5:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Adstring
- Silver: Afternoon tea (cup and hot water included - passenger needs to remember to bring tea bag from lounge)
- Bronze: Afternoon tea (tea bag included- Tesco value perhaps - but cup and hot water extra)
You could also maybe add?

Premier - 2 Scones and a pot of tea
GGL's - 1 Scone and a pot of Tea

Personally, if buying Afternoon Tea I think it would have been a good PR move, and a simple one at that, to just include the tea with a £5 Scone.
jason8612, HIDDY and wrp96 like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
I think it’s probably safe to say that the next iteration of the menu won’t have quite the same “afternoon tea” offering, which will speak volumes about the merits of the current advertising.

I happen to think that the current version is misleading, but that’s subjective. What is not subjective - based on the size of this thread and the fact that a national newspaper has picked up the story - is that the clarity of the current version is at least debatable. That should never really have been the case.
Twickenham, wrp96 and GinFizz like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by GM1985

A uni friend of mine used to swear by a mixture of Irn Bru and orange juice. Though it may sound like a truly vile, luminous yellow/orange concoction (it is!), it’s also not a half-bad hangover remedy.

Steering moderately back on topic, I’m genuinely screen-grabbing snippets of this thread as training material for my team. I’ve often said we have to sweat the small stuff when creating content for our consumers, and need to be sure that what’s in our mind is also what is in theirs, as poorly chosen headlines or sloppily chosen copy can erode trust in our brand. I can’t think of a more appropriate thread than this!
Hooray for you ! I have been a strong advocate of CUSTOMER SERVICE first, driving some readers to distraction !
May I give a simple sweat the detail ? When a used car is traded in, license plate goes with the brand new, polished car. I used to insisit that that the number plate be washed before transferring it to the new car..
T8191, strickerj and GM1985 like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Adstring
Being a Blue I'll be giving it a body swerve then.

Now that I'm much clearer as to what the 'Afternoon Tea' actually consists of I have come to the conclusion it's a rip off no matter how good in quality the scone/cream and jam are. Having said that, if enough silly people are buying it then you can't blame BA for offering it.
HMPS and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.