Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation

Nobody is saying that.

You are going round in circles.

Sorry, I did not realize that it was me who pointed out the receipt as proof that BA was advertising afternoon tea, rather than a scone only, in the menu.

What is the point in bringing out the receipt when we're talking about the basis people make their choices on? One gets a receipt after they have looked through the menu and ordered, right? So, basically, whatever the receipt says can't really change a person's mind.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is this still hot news?
Surprising as I thought everyone on here either flew CE or swore ages ago never to fly BA ET again soon as BOB was introduced?
Andriyko and CappuccinoAddict like this.

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Sorry, I did not realize that it was me who pointed out the receipt as proof that BA was advertising afternoon tea, rather than a scone only, in the menu.
You said “Since BA does not offer or advertise a price for afternoon tea”

They do offer a price for Afternoon Tea. It is printed quite clearly on that receipt.

Everybody who has seen that image, whether in the Sun, on here, or on social media is now aware that BA offers a price for afternoon tea.
SW7London and User Name like this.

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Anyone got a response or made a complaint to BA?
Old May 16, 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
They do offer a price for Afternoon Tea. It is printed quite clearly on that receipt.

Once again - do you think that a receipt constitutes an offer? When you want to make a selection, do you ask for a menu or a receipt?

And even if BA does give out a receipt for a scone as afternoon tea, as long as they clearly state in the menu, aka offer, that only a scone is included it becomes the problem of those who bought based on the assumption rather than the description. One can't fault a company for selling them exactly what the company promised to sell. Even in this thread people expressed different opinions as to what they expect in afternoon tea. What matters is what the vendor promises to deliver; not what one thinks or assumes it should include.
Sealink, HMPS and Tobias-UK like this.

Last edited by Andriyko; May 16, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Old May 16, 2019, 3:28 pm

Forget the receipt, remarkable as it is. Have you ever read an ASA ruling Andriyko? Because your insistence suggests that you don’t really know how reality works.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Because your insistence suggests that you don’t really know how reality works.

My reality works in the way that I am responsible for my own choices and my own mistakes (assumptions). I own them. I have been in many situations where I assumed that a meal would come with everything included, especially as far as Ukrainian cuisine is concerned (for example, borsch should always come with sour cream, and one would always assume that it would, but some restaurants list the price for it separately. Am I mad? Yes, Do I have a right to be? No. I simply did not look at the menu. My mistake. And it is just one of the many examples that I can think of). What bothers me here is that people acknowledge that the menu is very straightforward when read literally but since some people may order on the basis of the title of the section BA should somehow be at fault. No, adults should just learn to read the menu the next time. Not reading the menu, being confused or acting on assumptions should not serve as the basis to vilify the vendor. This thread should have stopped at the point that whoever complained made the wrong assumption (and we all agree that if one does not read the menu one may mistakenly believe that they're ordering not just a scone), but instead it went on and on and on trying to find fault with the airline where there is really no fault. Receipts came into play, press releases came into play. So, basically, we are never responsible for what we do or what we don't do.
HIDDY likes this.

Last edited by Andriyko; May 16, 2019 at 3:49 pm
Old May 16, 2019, 4:38 pm

So, basically, we are never responsible for what we do or what we don't do.
The real jist of your argument is, basically, that BA is not responsible for what it does or doesn't do. That's an argument, but it's not one I subscribe to.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My reality works in the way that I am responsible for my own choices and my own mistakes (assumptions). I own them. I have been in many situations where I assumed that a meal would come with everything included, especially as far as Ukrainian cuisine is concerned (for example, borsch should always come with sour cream, and one would always assume that it would, but some restaurants list the price for it separately. Am I mad? Yes, Do I have a right to be? No. I simply did not look at the menu. My mistake. And it is just one of the many examples that I can think of). What bothers me here is that people acknowledge that the menu is very straightforward when read literally but since some people may order on the basis of the title of the section BA should somehow be at fault. No, adults should just learn to read the menu the next time. Not reading the menu, being confused or acting on assumptions should not serve as the basis to vilify the vendor. This thread should have stopped at the point that whoever complained made the wrong assumption (and we all agree that if one does not read the menu one may mistakenly believe that they're ordering not just a scone), but instead it went on and on and on trying to find fault with the airline where there is really no fault. Receipts came into play, press releases came into play. So, basically, we are never responsible for what we do or what we don't do.
Indeed. Nowadays only a fool doesn't pay close attention to what you're going to get for your money especially when purchasing anything airline related.

No idea how BOB works but I assume the buyer can always refuse to pay or demand a refund once they see what'd being served up to them anyway?
Old May 16, 2019, 4:49 pm

There is an ignore user function on FT, which really helps to passing over some of the nonsense posted in this thread. I’d highly recommend it
orbitmic, :D!, truncated and 1 others like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:50 pm

The real jist of your argument is, basically, that BA is not responsible for what it does or doesn't do. That's an argument, but it's not one I subscribe to.
This is ridiculous. BA offers a scone for GBP5 in the section that says 'Afternoon tea'. One does not read the menu. One orders a scone relying on the title of the section and believing that they're ordering afternoon tea (whatever that implies to the one). One receives what BA actually advertises. One is unhappy. BA is to blame. I am all for punishing businesses for false advertising or not delivering what was advertised. This is simply not that case no matter how people dance around it.

Can you please tell me what BA is responsible for apart from advertising a scone for GBP5? Is it responsible for people assuming that they'd get something lese? I am just interested. For the sake of fairness. Are my assumptions my own or BA's?

Last edited by Andriyko; May 16, 2019 at 5:01 pm
Old May 16, 2019, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by rossmacd
There is an ignore user function on FT, which really helps to passing over some of the nonsense posted in this thread. I’d highly recommend it
I highly recommend that button. Especially for those who want to chat among themselves about how horrible businesses are and who do not want to be exposed to the reality. It must be so so comfortable to be in the bubble where everybody agrees that black is white.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:02 pm

This is ridiculous. BA offers a scone for GBP5 in the section that says 'Afternoon tea'. One does not read the menu. One orders a scone relying on the title of the section and believing that they're ordering afternoon tea (whatever that implies to the one). One receives what BA actually advertises. One is unhappy. BA is to blame. I am all for punishing businesses for false advertising or not delivering what was advertised. This is simply not that case no matter how people dance around it.
This is the CTSI guidance on pricing practices. Whether BA has actually crossed the line here is debatable (hence the 17 pages of debate) but it is very hard to argue that the line is not very much in sight.

Originally Posted by CTSI
You must ensure that the presentation of your offer is transparent and clear. You should consider how consumers are likely to understand it, having regard to its overall presentation.

In particular, you should consider the prominence and clarity of any additional text in comparison to the headline text or main message.

You should ensure that the headline or prominent message is truthful, clear and consistent with other information you provide. It should not need explanatory text to make it comply, particularly if that text is not prominent.

Consider how the offer is expressed - a simple offer can be communicated in straightforward terms using direct language. If your offer is more complex you should take care to ensure that it is presented in a way that consumers will fully understand.

Additional information should not contradict the headline claim. It must be given in a clear, intelligible, unambiguous and timely manner. Including material information in the small print in a manner that is not clear and prominent may mean that you do not meet that requirement.

Material information might be:
• qualifying statements - for example, ‘Wednesdays from 6pm’
• important conditions of the offer - for example, ‘minimum two dinners’
• relevant exclusions - for example, ‘set menu only’
IAMORGAN, orbitmic, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:14 pm

This is the CTSI guidance on pricing practices. Whether BA has actually crossed the line here is debatable (hence the 17 pages of debate) but it is very hard to argue that the line is not very much in sight.
Really? Really? Are we getting into this? It is a BoB menu. On an airline. Can we just let it go? Someone got confused. That is all that happened. Do we need to lawyer up over a scone? I love Flyertalk, I really do, but sometimes I just can't believe what I read here...
Old May 16, 2019, 5:19 pm

Really? Really? Are we getting into this? It is a BoB menu. On an airline. Can we just let it go? Someone got confused. That is all that happened. Do we need to lawyer up over a scone? I love Flyertalk, I really do, but sometimes I just can't believe what I read here...
Of course we can just let it go. I'd let it go already. And then you started posting and not letting it go, so I stopped letting it go.
User Name, Deltus and bastoj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.